FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 833 of 920 FirstFirst ... 333 733 783 823 831 832 833 834 835 843 883 ... LastLast
Results 8,321 to 8,330 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Dealer in Lansing, MI.
    Capitol Cadillac, still in business but under a different name.

A friend of mine worked the parts counter and found some original binders, including these service procedures manual which I scanned awhile back:
    https://archive.org/details/DeLorean...oceduresManual
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    5510

I got the engine and transmission removed from the frame!! Only missed one hose, which was a coolant line coming from the overflow tank. I learned some things - first was that you can get stainless steel carabiners (or similar) that can hold 1800 pounds, which work really great to hold the load balancer chains to the lift rings on the engine. Second, since the engine and transmission weigh about 750 pounds, its best to stick the engine hoist out there - mine is rated for 1-ton, and I set it at the 3/4 ton spot. I wish I would have put it at the 1/2 ton spot, because when I lifted the engine up high it started to rub on the hoist itself.

Once out, I was able to take off the two little plates that have to come off in order to separate the engine and transmission, and since both are present I will assume that the transmission has never been removed from the engine.

The transmission is still stuck to the engine, though. I got some MAPP gas and tried heating up the area around the stuck bolt, but that wasn't successful. I can get quite a large gap (1/2") on the passenger side, and a small 1/8" gap on the drivers side, so it's definitely just that bolt. I also tried using an SDS hammer drill set to hammer mode to try and punch out the bolt, but that didn't work either. This damn bolt is really stuck in there!!

My VIN:    10201

Those little plates really messed with me. Didn't look like they held anything together. Once I got them off, I finally was able to separate the engine and transmission. I used a transmission jack to get it out, then I pulled the engine. Didn't have space to take both out together.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    Those little plates really messed with me. Didn't look like they held anything together. Once I got them off, I finally was able to separate the engine and transmission. I used a transmission jack to get it out, then I pulled the engine. Didn't have space to take both out together.
    Did you put them back? From what I've read, not everybody does. I guess they are a pain in the ass to get to while in the frame, and most people don't bother putting them back on. Even the sensor on the driver's side plate isn't even used except through the diagnostic port.

My VIN:    07164

Club(s):   (DCH)

engine out body off resto

Just completed this as well.

Transmission still attached...

2NrsOSpl.jpg

lwhxN8Al.jpg

jBc03Aom.jpg

I would hate to have attempted this with the body on.
    Last edited by er1c; 06-10-2020 at 06:34 AM.

I didn't put the plates back cause I'm going electric with my car.

Pulling the engine and transmission out really isn't that bad with the body on. I was able to do it and I didn't know jack shit about cars when I first bought mine 5 years ago. The worst parts were that stupid plate that I didn't realize held the engine and transmission togethern and the connection between the driver side exhaust manifold and the crossover. Once I had the plate removed, the transmission easily separated. The exhaust was just hard cause I really needed a 2nd person to keep the nuts from spinning. I had to wedge a wrench on the frame to I could hold the nut while using a ratchet.

Quote Originally Posted by er1c View Post
    Just completed this as well.

Transmission still attached...

I would hate to have attempted this with the body on.
    Nice! What's the plan with the restoration? New frame?

I'm working on this

https://imgur.com/a/Ck7IXOi

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I didn't put the plates back cause I'm going electric with my car.

Pulling the engine and transmission out really isn't that bad with the body on. I was able to do it and I didn't know jack shit about cars when I first bought mine 5 years ago. The worst parts were that stupid plate that I didn't realize held the engine and transmission togethern and the connection between the driver side exhaust manifold and the crossover. Once I had the plate removed, the transmission easily separated. The exhaust was just hard cause I really needed a 2nd person to keep the nuts from spinning. I had to wedge a wrench on the frame to I could hold the nut while using a ratchet.
    I'm also going EV with my DMC, but that's a longer time frame project, so I have to put my engine and transmission back in for at least a few months. I've had many conversations in my head about scrapping that interim setup, since this process of dealing with the engine and transmission has been a pain!!

My VIN:    15190

Cool Finished my VOD job

Yesterday afternoon, I fired up the engine and took it for a test drive. It really drives great after replacing the spark plugs, spark wires, distributor cap, rotor arm and cleaned the injectors. I wiped everything as best as I could and zinc coated some parts.

I'm sharing some photos I took yesterday.
    IMG_6748.jpgIMG_6750.jpgIMG_6751.jpgIMG_6757.jpg

Page 833 of 920 FirstFirst ... 333 733 783 823 831 832 833 834 835 843 883 ... LastLast