FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How can I fix a bent door?

I have a Torque Wrench... tyb323's Avatar

My VIN:    2399

Club(s):   (DMA)

How can I fix a bent door?

Hello gents and ladies. 4 years ago like a goon I drove into my garage with the driver gullwing open. I caught the side of the garage, didn't know, and kept driving forward. The door bent backwards until I actually heard the metal on the door bending. Suffice it to say, I backed up, tried to close the door, and it did not want to close. I had a body shop repair it to the point it could close, and then Rob Grady work it some more so it fit flush. But my door still does not sit right. It's clunky on opening and closing, but Ive seen cars with worse.

Basically, is there a way to fix the door so it opens with a "touch of the doorhandle" like the passenger side? Any tips or tricks?
    Tyler Butler
    Vin 2399 - July 81 Black Interior, Automatic

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

You can try to play with the striker position, but likely grady already got as close as he could, and you might just end up making it worse. I don't know this for sure, but likely you will find it's as close as it will get provided that the door is a bit tweaked. Have you lubed all the contact points & latches? That may go further than you think toward getting the door to operate smoothly.
    Still rocking the Ducellier

I have a Torque Wrench... tyb323's Avatar

My VIN:    2399

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I don't know this for sure, but likely you will find it's as close as it will get provided that the door is a bit tweaked. Have you lubed all the contact points & latches? That may go further than you think toward getting the door to operate smoothly.
    I'll give this a try. I believe grady did adjust the contact points and tried to move the door back into position. Maybe it really is messed up PERMANENTLY =(
    Tyler Butler
    Vin 2399 - July 81 Black Interior, Automatic

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you tweaked the door that badly it is easier to replace than repair. To properly repair you have to cut out all of the spot welds and reweld them again to stiffen the door. I know of a good, used driver's side door if you need it.
    David Teitelbaum