FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: PRV mods and Engine swaps

PRV mods and Engine swaps

Have a look at these...

I managed to find these two examples of engine swaps. I wonder if there is any other swap you guys have heard of other than the V8 swaps mentioned in other threads.
    Any porsche or other german engines???

I also want to know about the various mods that can be done to the PRV... I know about the twin turbos and the Stage 3 mods offered by DMC.. Is there anything else that can be done???
    What if we changed the SOHC to a DOHC and added a supercharger on top if the twin turbos to which is attached via an electromagnetic clutch so it can be switched on or off.
    -- Julz

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

The 2JZ swap was done by a member on the forum a couple of years ago, then he sold the car.

The rotary car is pretty popular as well.

When it comes to engine swaps, you talk to 10 guys and you will get 12 answers. Some are all for it, but D mechanics are weary of touching them.
    Some hate it because it kills resale value.
    Some love it because it's different, and gives the car the sound it should have
    Some hate it because it is not original.

There's more involved than just pulling motors and plugging a new one in. There have been numerous upon numerous threads in the past about people swearing they are doing a swap, or are "in the planning stages" of doing a swap (which loosely translates to 'im full of crap and think this is a camaro, and I can make this a fast and furious race car to street race at 2am in Los Angeles").

Some people have pulled it off wonderfully
    Some people have failed miserably and sell their cars off after realizing they messed up.

We have had 5.0 swaps, LSx Swaps, Lotus Swap, Land Rover V8 swap, Cadillac motor swaps, twin motor swaps, VQ swaps, etc.

Personally, I like something different. In reality, I do know of people having difficulty selling engine swaps before.
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    There have been numerous upon numerous threads in the past about people swearing they are doing a swap, or are "in the planning stages" of doing a swap (which loosely translates to 'im full of crap and think this is a camaro, and I can make this a fast and furious race car to street race at 2am in Los Angeles").
    Personally, I like something different. In reality, I do know of people having difficulty selling engine swaps before.
    Kinda contradictory there on whether you are for or against engine swaps.

I'm a huge fan of stock and original. So if the car has got what I believe to be a perfect combination, you won't hear me talking about adding anything aftermarket. I wouldn't change anything to improve it either.

But hand me a car with a story like the Delorean's and my wheels just keep turning on how I can make this car, the way it should've been.
    You know what I'd like to see... I'd like to see the Delorean story revisited.
    Delorean was looking to have Porsche engineer the car for production; but Porsche wanted 2 years. He then went to Lotus who managed to do it by borrowing ideas from the Esprit; not exactly a bad choice, but given more time, they probably would have come up with something similar or something differenct.. no one will ever know.

What I'd like see is.. take two DMC-12s and give it to each of these companies. Then document (video) on what the two companies would change or do to improve the performance, the handling, etc...

Obviously retaining the stock engine is good provided you can get the performance and sound from it that is required for a sports car.
    I've highlighted a few mods that are done by DMC... including the Stage 3 upgrade.. but is there anything else that can be done.
    What about changing the stock unit for a bigger 3.0L PRV V6??? Is there a way to make it a DOHC???
    -- Julz

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

The 2JZ swap was done by a member on the forum a couple of years ago, then he sold the car.
    ...content removed...
    Some hate it because it kills resale value.
    ...content removed...
    Not always. In fact as I recall, the 2JZ car went for a bit more than what a comparable stock D would have gone for.

I suppose it depends on quality and craftsmanship. Having been very upclose and personal with that car, I can vouch that the swap was performed very beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Not always. In fact as I recall, the 2JZ car went for a bit more than what a comparable stock D would have gone for.

I suppose it depends on quality and craftsmanship. Having been very upclose and personal with that car, I can vouch that the swap was performed very beautifully.
    I can't see why not, considering that the 2JZ is one of the most sought after engines in the world. That and the V8s seem to be the one thing that Toyota got completely right and by using them in various cars, they've developed a cult following.

Does anyone have a picture of a Delorean with a Porsche Carrera engine in it???
    -- Julz

My VIN:    3501

Club(s):   (DMA)

What you rarely see is a video of one of these swaps in action. I've never seen the twin engine flexing it's muscle. Never saw the northstar conversion doing anything other than idleing.

I can only think of a handful of conversion cars that actually demonstrate with video the success of their new engine. DeLotus is one of them... Malevy's nissan swap is another (on my youtube page). I guess you can count the one with the ford that keeps stalling?

Quote Originally Posted by nofear365 View Post
    Malevy's nissan swap is another (on my youtube page). I guess you can count the one with the ford that keeps stalling?
    Link please...
    -- Julz

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by knightjp View Post
    Link please...
    First video result here.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Nah... I was actually looking for the car with the Nissan engine...
    -- Julz

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

And again.

Google is our friend.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast