FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: PRV mods and Engine swaps

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The 2JZ swap was done by a member on the forum a couple of years ago, then he sold the car.

The rotary car is pretty popular as well.

[snip]

We have had 5.0 swaps, LSx Swaps, Lotus Swap, Land Rover V8 swap, Cadillac motor swaps, twin motor swaps, VQ swaps, etc.
    VINs please! (for the record book)

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by knightjp View Post
    I can't see why not, considering that the 2JZ is one of the most sought after engines in the world. That and the V8s seem to be the one thing that Toyota got completely right and by using them in various cars, they've developed a cult following.
    Just FYI, the 2JZ is a turbocharged inline 6 cylinder

Has anyone seen a Delorean with a Porsche Carrera engine in it???
    From what I can figure, to give good balance in between size, weight of the PRV V6 and more power... Either the 1999 Carrera engines or the 3.0L Ferrari V8 from the Lancia Thema 8.32.
    -- Julz

My VIN:    SCEDT26T5BD06996

Club(s):   (DMA)

Well as long as we're pipe dreaming... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_SHO_V6_engine#3.0
    "He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man"
    - William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    We have had 5.0 swaps, LSx Swaps, Lotus Swap, Land Rover V8 swap, Cadillac motor swaps, twin motor swaps, VQ swaps, etc.
    I've seen videos about a few of these swaps, but no really great ones. Obviously the Lotus engined one has to be the coolest since it came from the car the Delorean engineered to be like..

Will a Porsche 911 engine fit into the Delorean??? Or would it require more work than a V configuration would...
    Has anyone tried putting the engine from the Subaru Impreza WRX???
    -- Julz

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Not always. In fact as I recall, the 2JZ car went for a bit more than what a comparable stock D would have gone for.

I suppose it depends on quality and craftsmanship. Having been very upclose and personal with that car, I can vouch that the swap was performed very beautifully.
    So was I

Yes, Eddie's car sold for more than a standard car. With engine swap cars, that's not always the case...

Kinda contradictory there on whether you are for or against engine swaps.
    No, it isn't. I stated my preference that I like things that are different. However, I don't like half assed swaps... plain and simple.

but is there anything else that can be done.
    What about changing the stock unit for a bigger 3.0L PRV V6??? Is there a way to make it a DOHC???
    3.0 PRV swaps have been done.

I've seen videos about a few of these swaps, but no really great ones. Obviously the Lotus engined one has to be the coolest since it came from the car the Delorean engineered to be like..

Will a Porsche 911 engine fit into the Delorean??? Or would it require more work than a V configuration would...
    Has anyone tried putting the engine from the Subaru Impreza WRX???

If you have the money, most anything will fit... no one on the board has done either of those swaps though.
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

I guess no one likes my idea of giving Lotus and Porsche two DMC-12s and seeing what they come up with. I'd really like to see what Porsche and Lotus would change in the Delorean as it is now. Lotus did a Lada for Top Gear I know.

In reading the Delorean story, what interests me is one of the great "What Ifs"....
    What if Delorean had two years to give Porsche to engineer the prototypes for production? What if the same amount of time was given to Lotus???
    What changes in the engine and handling setup would have been made???
    -- Julz

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

I would speculate that Porsche would have designed a full double wishbone suspension setup with anti-roll bar for both the front and rear suspension, which would have been great!

However, they wouldn't have had as much experience with composites as Lotus, so not sure what direction the underbody would have gone.

Porsche are the experts of RR layout. After all they practically invented and re-invented all the way through the 911s 40+ years of development. If anyone could've given the Delorean what it needed to be a sports car, it would be those blokes.

However like dmcjohn said, Lotus has always been able to make light weight, small engined cars that were exceptional in handling and giant killers in terms of performance... Their knowledge of composites was important for Delorean to keep the weight down on the DMC's construction. After all, stainless steel is heavier...

I guess Lotus did the best they could with the time they had, but it would be nice to see what they would've come up with had they been given more... much more. Porsche too...

What I'd like to do is put the suspension setup. gearbox and engine from a 911 into the Delorean.
    -- Julz

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

After all, stainless steel is heavier...
    ... than what?

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast