FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: PRV mods and Engine swaps

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    ... than what?

Farrar
    Regular steel & metal used for making cars...
    -- Julz

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by knightjp View Post
    Regular steel & metal used for making cars...
    Regular steel panels would not have been bolted to a fiberglass underbody.

The car could have been all fiberglass, but that wouldn't have given DeLorean the look he wanted. The car could have been mild carbon steel, but that wouldn't have given DeLorean the rustproof body he wanted.

If you want to make a fast, good-handling DeLorean, stick a turbocharged flat 4 in the middle of a carbon fiber underbody and put stainless panels on it. If you're gonna go, go all the way.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Regular steel panels would not have been bolted to a fiberglass underbody.

The car could have been all fiberglass, but that wouldn't have given DeLorean the look he wanted. The car could have been mild carbon steel, but that wouldn't have given DeLorean the rustproof body he wanted.

If you want to make a fast, good-handling DeLorean, stick a turbocharged flat 4 in the middle of a carbon fiber underbody and put stainless panels on it. If you're gonna go, go all the way.

Farrar
    I've not driven a Delorean, so you'd probably know more about the way the car handles; but the Lotus had a hand in the development. Lotus is known for making giant killers with great handling cars. Surely the stock Delorean has good handling.
    -- Julz

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I've not driven a Delorean, so you'd probably know more about the way the car handles; but the Lotus had a hand in the development. Lotus is known for making giant killers with great handling cars. Surely the stock Delorean has good handling.
    The handling is good, but not great. Esprits of the same vintage piss all over the D in terms of handling. Lotus is notorious for "dumbing down" the handling on the cars that they help engineer for other companies.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Yes, I drove mine the other day. In terms of body roll, it handles better than my 2006 PT Cruiser, but not as well as my 1998 Concorde or my 1993 Duster. I cannot compare it to vehicles of the time, since I was not driving in 1981.

In my opinion, a stock DMC-12 handles okay -- but not great -- partly because the car is too tall (I think Lotus designed the chassis to sit lower), and partly because it's rear-engined. The DMC-12 prototype, according to people who have driven it, handles like it's on rails compared to the stock DMC-12, in part because of where the drivetrain sits. Unfortunately, Citroën's 4-banger provided less oomph than was desired, so DeLorean suggested a turbocharged version. Citroën said "non," so that was the end of that.

Farrar

Yes, I drove mine the other day. In terms of body roll, it handles better than my 2006 PT Cruiser, but not as well as my 1998 Concorde or my 1993 Duster. I cannot compare it to vehicles of the time, since I was not driving in 1981.

In my opinion, a stock DMC-12 handles okay -- but not great -- partly because the car is too tall (I think Lotus designed the chassis to sit lower), and partly because it's rear-engined. The DMC-12 prototype, according to people who have driven it, handles like it's on rails compared to the stock DMC-12, in part because of where the drivetrain sits. Unfortunately, Citroën's 4-banger provided less oomph than was desired, so DeLorean suggested a turbocharged version. Citroën said "non," so that was the end of that.

Farrar
    Another major difference is that the stock DMC has a backbone chassis like most Lotus cars... one of the things borrowed from the Esprit. The prototype had some kind of sub-frame thing...
    I think it had something more to do with fact that Lotus was taking stuff from the Esprit to save time and that was a mid-engined car not a rear engined one like the Delorean.
    Seeing how the initial design was based on the Esprit, I guess Lotus thought that whatever they were porting over would work; forgetting one import aspect.. The engine. The Delorean was initially designed to be a mid engined car... not a rear engined one. It was the sudden shift to the PRV that made that change... not a good one, but then again given to the right people, it would've been great.
    Frankly even John Delorean admited that Porsche would've done a better job had they been given the time they wanted since they had a lot of experience with the 911.
    -- Julz

The Delorean was initially designed to be a mid engined car... not a rear engined one. It was the sudden shift to the PRV that made that change...
    I believe I said that.

Oh, well. :shrug:

I believe I said that.

Oh, well. :shrug:
    Yes you did... I guess you could call it re-tweeting..
    -- Julz

Trying to decide whether I should go for Japanese or German (Subaru or Porsche) in terms of the engine...

Subaru EZ engine

Porsche 996...

The thing is although the size difference in extremely small, the power and torque figures are quite a bit difference.
    -- Julz

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

What would you do in terms of transmission.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast