FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Door adjustment

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I'll do ya one better... My door is bowed. If I adjust the strikers so it closes evenly along the top the bootom edge overcloses at the rocker panel. If I adjust the bottom edge correct, the top stands proud of the roof panel.

Argh! I see a new door in my future $$$$$!!!!

Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by dtjk592 View Post
    My question is at what point does it become a quarter panel adjustment issue and not the door itself. Right now the door closes evenly and smoothly but there still is a gap between the rear quarter panel and the door at the bottom fit is good at the top of the door and the door is aligned perfectly with the front quarter.
    If the doors close smoothly then I'd start with trying to adjust the fenders. On mine - first off all my panels seemed to be out of adjustment. The screws that hold them in place were either rattled loose or just gone. Some of them don't even hold -even while they are tight...some don't want to tighten but rather just spin; it's a cluster.... If adjusting panels doesn't work - move down the list to of things to try ending with door hinge adjustment being the last thing....

Obviously, there are more catastrophic things that can happen where no matter what adjustment, nothing will work [See Steve's post above].
    Last edited by dn010; 01-27-2012 at 07:17 PM.

My VIN:    16245

Quote Originally Posted by QuadcityDMC View Post
    I was looking at an old photo of my car and as you can see the passanger side door is off a bit. I had adjusted the the rear panel to help with looks, it closes fine, but do you think i could add a shim to the front door hing to bring the door up for better alignment.
    I have the exact same issue on my 83. Man it bugs me! Did you find a solution? DeLorean makes a factory hinge shim.
    http://store.delorean.com/p-9468-shi...-dr-hinge.aspx

I was told the front roof needs to be raised and re-glued. It has sagged down about 1/2 inch over time. This is a big job, remove doors, windshield, top panel, headliner. Uugghh!

Maybe one of the gurus can give some advice?
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Only under certain circumstances do you want to attempt to mess with the door hinges or shims. If the doors and hinges were never disturbed since the car was built and the door is not damaged you DO NOT mess with the hinges. There are so many angles that have to line up just so, if you try to adjust the hinges you will make things worse, not better. You adjust everything else around the doors to fit to the doors, not the other way around. Besides, it is a big job and if you never did it before you will probably wind up making things worse, not better. For starters you have to remove the torsion bar.
    As for the Tee panel, that's minor. A few screws and it comes off. You replace the foam block in front to hold the front edge up so the doors don't rub. When you reattach it you make sure it is centered and the gaps at the tops of the doors are equal. You probably also should replace the outer seals if they are shot.
    David Teitelbaum

Opening

I am having opening issues. My drivers door was working perfectly then all of a sudden it sticks when opening. I jiggle it pretty hard and then it opens. If i open and close it a few times it seems fine. Then if left for a period of time it sticks again. Any suggestions

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Brisfx View Post
    I am having opening issues. My drivers door was working perfectly then all of a sudden it sticks when opening. I jiggle it pretty hard and then it opens. If i open and close it a few times it seems fine. Then if left for a period of time it sticks again. Any suggestions
    Lube the striker mechanisms and try the lock and latch setting procedure?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Striker Adjustment

Is there anyone around the long island area with experience adjusting the strikers I am at my wits end with this probably opened and closed the door 1,000 times and still have a 3/4 inch gap in the front so far that the interior lights don't even turn off.

I have a Torque Wrench... tyb323's Avatar

My VIN:    2399

Club(s):   (DMA)

Check out rob at pj Grady's, he did door work on mine, came out much nicer than when it went in (I'm a dummy who drove into his garage with the door open, do not recommend doing that now...)
    Tyler Butler
    Vin 2399 - July 81 Black Interior, Automatic

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Rob is definitely the best at adjusting the doors. If he's not available I could try to give you a hand one day. I've adjusted mine a few times just so they would close a little better. But if its a serious alignment issue where the door would have to be removed, then Rob's your guy. What part of the island are you from?
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

I'm in Huntington, I don't think its too seriously the doors were aligned pretty well before but it took a good deal of force to get the door to close.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast