FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seatbelt warning light/buzzer

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Seatbelt warning light/buzzer

I looked around but can't seem to find what the 'correct' function of this light/buzzer should be. As it stands, when I have the key in and the door open, the door ajar light is on and the buzzer sounds. When I close the door, the buzzer stops and the light goes out. When I start the car, the seatbelt warning light illuminates briefly, with no buzzer, and then goes out. Buckling/unbuckling the seatbelt has no effect at any point - the light doesn't come on, nor does the buzzer. I assume the switch inside my anchor has gone bad, but to troubleshoot further I need to know what I should be seeing

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I thought this was posted already.... Page 8

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?25...3717#post33717

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I thought this was posted already.... Page 8

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?25...3717#post33717
    I was curious if it should illuminate or alert again if the belt is undone after the car is in motion, etc. I also don't seem to have wiring for the passenger side anchor, but the manual seems to think I should. That's why I was wondering if the real world was different than what's in the book.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I was curious if it should illuminate or alert again if the belt is undone after the car is in motion, etc. I also don't seem to have wiring for the passenger side anchor, but the manual seems to think I should. That's why I was wondering if the real world was different than what's in the book.
    Never have seen a D with a connection for "belt warning" as is for the driver's side.
    Dave (Bitsyncmaster) has opened his buzzer to study its functioning.
    Perhaps you would contact (PM) him to find out which function besides the awful door open/key in lock signal also triggers the buzzer audio.
    I have tested my buzzer before I swapped it for a chimer and if I recall correctly I never heard a warning sound for the seat belt.

On most modern car's the seat belt warning is only for a short period of time.
    The chimer I mentioned now also warns if the lights are ON and the IGN key is taken out of the lock. The seat belt warning only sounds five times with the chimer.
    However the dash warning light for the seat belt can't be used this way (our car has a different power layout for this light) and need a change in the circuit to achieve that.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Even with the seatbelt anchor's power leads disconnected, the warning light will illuminate for a few seconds after the engine is started. (Mine has been disconnected for a while.)

There is no stock wiring for the passenger's seat belt anchor.

Farrar
    Last edited by Farrar; 12-16-2011 at 11:46 AM. Reason: clarification
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Even with the seatbelt anchor's power leads disconnected, the warning light will illuminate for a few seconds after the engine is started. (Mine has been disconnected for a while.)

There is no stock wiring for the passenger's seat belt anchor.

Farrar
    OK, that's what I thought. I suspect that the switch in my anchor may be bad.

Welmoed, I followed you and Dave's thread on the buzzer with great interest, which is why I want to make sure my system is working properly - then embark on a replacement of the buzzer with something more modern.

I will look behind the carpet to see if I can fish out the connector to the driver's side anchor and jumper it to test the rest of the system.

Thanks!
    Jon

My VIN:    10722

I see what Jon is getting at. It seems that whether or not you have your seat belt connected, the buzzer will still buzz and the seat belt warning light will still come on, then go off.

I'll ask the question a different way: What is the wiring going to the driver's side seat belt anchor for?

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by gulwng3 View Post
    I see what Jon is getting at. It seems that whether or not you have your seat belt connected, the buzzer will still buzz and the seat belt warning light will still come on, then go off.

I'll ask the question a different way: What is the wiring going to the driver's side seat belt anchor for?

Andy
    Right on. I forgot about this thread but it does still bug me in the back of my mind. Seems like if you unhook your driver's side belt, the light should come on. But it doesn't seem to have any impact. What is that connector even for? Or maybe mine and Andy's are both broken?
    Jon

My VIN:    3299

Mine does the same thing. It was probably a "soon to be but never incorporated" feature of the car.

I'm so glad it doesn't nag you to put your seatbelt on. Today's car that do that junk drive me flipping nuts.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    0934

Reference information, for those who have not already disconnected the seat belt warning module and care about the factory said it was supposed to do, directly from the DeLorean Owner's Handbook, p. 8:

INERTIA SEAT BELTS – Fig. 8
    Warning System
    The seat belt warning light Fig. 8 will glow
    when the ignition is switched on and either
    seat is occupied with the seat belt
    unfastened, a warning buzzer will also
    activate for approximately ten seconds.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast