FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Relays

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Relays

We're working our way through the "stuff to do" list on the car, and here's something else I'd like to look at.
    When I was waiting for my car to be delivered I did a bit of reading, and saw various articles on the dodgy original relays in the car, and how they could fail/melt/explode/go on fire etc. (delete as applicable!)

Now I'm no electrician, the best I can do is wire a plug. Here's a photo of the compartment, is there anything I should upgrade or can I rest easy?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Looks pretty clean! Do you know what your circuit breakers are rated for? The rectangular silver bits with 2 posts and either 4 or 2 wires going to it next to the fuse box. You should consider bumping them up to a 30 and a 40 breaker if you have not done so yet.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

Remove the fuse box cover. Put it on a shelf somewhere. Also, pull every fuse, one at a time, and reseat. That helps remove any oxidization that may have built up over time (which causes electrical resistance). These two steps can help prevent fusebox meltdown.

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Not sure about the breakers; I'll see if I can find out tonight!
    Several places like DMCH and DMC EU have relay upgrade kits; I wonder if what I have is one of those? It was done by a previous owner so I have no way of knowing.

Funny you mentioned the fuses; one of the sockets was partially melted but still functional, I think it was the high beam headlight fuse. Needless to say we replaced it.
    What would have caused that?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    Not sure about the breakers; I'll see if I can find out tonight!
    Several places like DMCH and DMC EU have relay upgrade kits; I wonder if what I have is one of those? It was done by a previous owner so I have no way of knowing.

Funny you mentioned the fuses; one of the sockets was partially melted but still functional, I think it was the high beam headlight fuse. Needless to say we replaced it.
    What would have caused that?
    Doesn't look like an updated relay kit to me. I'd do a full relay update anyway, it's only like $150 and well worth the peace of mind.

Melted fuses are caused by bad connections and over-drawing current. The OEM fuse box is known to do this because the contact material in the terminals is weak. You should consider replacing the whole fuse block with an updated one that has better materials. Lots of info on the forum here on how to do that.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Doesn't look like an updated relay kit to me.
    Huh? Thats exactly what the highlighters indicate, that it ALREADY has been updated. Only thing that is unsure of here is the circuit breaker ratings, but I'd say its a very safe bet those have been done too looking at everything else.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Huh? Thats exactly what the highlighters indicate, that it ALREADY has been updated. Only thing that is unsure of here is the circuit breaker ratings, but I'd say its a very safe bet those have been done too looking at everything else.
    You're right, I forgot Houston had that other kit with the standard relays, I was only thinking of the 'updated' purple/black cased ones. My mistake!
    Jon

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

You can replace the "fused jumper" in the blue Fan Fail Module Socket with one of Dave McKeen's new units. Apart from that it looks good to me!

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    You can replace the "fused jumper" in the blue Fan Fail Module Socket with one of Dave McKeen's new units. Apart from that it looks good to me!

Farrar
    I'm jealous of the blue socket, actually. And it looks like your defrost timer has a green socket, and Lambda has a yellow one? Yeesh. Mine are all black (except the red and white ones) and have tiny colored sticker dots on them.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    Here's a photo of the compartment, is there anything I should upgrade or can I rest easy?
    I can't repeat it often enough !

The minumum you have to do for your power locks it to add a 10A fuse in the fat red wire from the Door Lock ECU !!!

melting fuses - what high beam bulb do you have ?

the closer the current is to the fuse's rating, the hotter it gets !
    Fuse sould be reated 50 to 100% above the regular current to work cool.
    Yeah I know big discussion starter, but I measured the temperatures to prove it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast