FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: CV Joints and Lip Seals?

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

CV Joints and Lip Seals?

I feel like these existed on the old forum?

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

How do I evaluate the CV joints, preferably while still on the car?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Well, examine the boots/clamps. If they are OEM, plan on replacing the boots and grease. If the boots are torn or missing, plan on a complete disassembly to inspect the bearings and race.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Well, examine the boots/clamps. If they are OEM, plan on replacing the boots and grease. If the boots are torn or missing, plan on a complete disassembly to inspect the bearings and race.
    They look ok, but I have a clunk at low speed in the rear, If I raise each wheel will I be able to feel anything on a bad CV?

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    They look ok, but I have a clunk at low speed in the rear, If I raise each wheel will I be able to feel anything on a bad CV?
    Well if you raise the rear of the car and grab the shafts it should be prett tight. If you can rotate the shaft and hear "clunking" then pull it apart. Again, if the boots are original, drop the shafts and rebuild. A clunk at low speeds in the rear could be a couple different things.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.

Will crawl under this weekend - thanks. I have not seen a rebuild kit for the joints, and I understood it to be a easy task to screw up (ball bearings and cages and such). With Hervey selling rebuilt units ready to install for $125 each, that sounded like the easier path to take. I'm happy rebuilding brake calipers for example, but ball bearings seem to vex me all too often, and it looked like the clamps for the boots needed a special tool?

Will crawl under this weekend - thanks. I have not seen a rebuild kit for the joints, and I understood it to be a easy task to screw up (ball bearings and cages and such). With Hervey selling rebuilt units ready to install for $125 each, that sounded like the easier path to take. I'm happy rebuilding brake calipers for example, but ball bearings seem to vex me all too often, and it looked like the clamps for the boots needed a special tool?
    Hervey does have a great price and if you're on fence about rebuilding them yourself get his unit. The boot clamps do require a tool to install correctly.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Our rebuilt powder coated option are available too here:

https://www.deloreanindustries.com/s...-axle-set.html

Kit features include-
    -powder coated finish
    -all components hot tanked removing all grease
    -all parts checked and measured, replaced if required
    -new boot kit with synthetic grease. (not heavy truck grease available elsewhere)
    -stainless band clamps replacing the failure prone crimp boot retainers
    - stainless steel axle locking tabs and new M10 hardware with locking washers.

The most comprehensive and complete rebuild and upgrade on the market.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    3004

Club(s):   (DCF)

Does it make a difference on how I lift the car? If I use ramps will that be an issue or do you recommend jack stands?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Will crawl under this weekend - thanks. I have not seen a rebuild kit for the joints, and I understood it to be a easy task to screw up .......?
    Nah - just messy.

http://dmcnews.com/Techsection/cvjoint.htm

which points you to:

http://volksweb.relitech.com/cvjoints.htm

Rebuild kit is here:
    http://store.delorean.com/p-8720-axle-boot.aspx
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast