FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: CV Joints and Lip Seals?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Thanks for the photos!

I installed the stainless-steel sleeve kit that came with rubber lip seals from P.J. Grady last year and my passenger-side shaft is leaking again. I don't want to have to by new lip seals every year. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to the "double-lip" (means something totally different to clarinet players, BTW) seal versus the OEM one which is part metal? Should I install one of each and see which leaks first?
    They are one solid piece of rubber (with a spring inside), vs the original seals which seem to be pressed together from multiple pieces of metal, felt, plastic, etc. These disintegrated upon removal into their constituent elements. The double-lip ones will never do this.

Also, the double-lip design is meant to keep the lubricant in and contaminants out. This means that external dirt, oil, grease, debris, etc will never be able to get in and damage the internal oil seal around the shaft.

Some more pics (we took a lot of pics)

Prying out the first layer of the old seal, a metal ring

This metal bit completely detached from the rest of the seal. Happened on both sides.

Fishing out the inner felt and rubber

Finally hooking the rubber portion out

What's left of the old OEM seal vs the new single-piece double lip configuration

Hope this helps...
    Attached Images
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thanks, Jon. I think I will try one of each. The one I got is a metal outer sleeve, with a rubber seal inside overhanging the inner surface of the metal, with a spring inside the rubber to hold tension against the inner surface. Since it only cost me $4 I might as well give it a try and see how it holds up between now and Road Trip of Doom er I mean DCS Orlando
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Nice pics but I would suggest folks be real careful using a screwdriver and not a puller. Score the seal wall and your in for some real leaking.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Nice pics but I would suggest folks be real careful using a screwdriver and not a puller. Score the seal wall and your in for some real leaking.
    Very good advice. I hadn't thought of that and will have to have some strong words with my mechanic. Speaking of which, a big +1 on not using a crescent wrench on the fill/drain plugs...
    Jon

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Jon,

Did you Degrease things after the flanges were installed or leave it for corrosion protection?
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Jon,

Did you Degrease things after the flanges were installed or leave it for corrosion protection?
    Haha, right? Every time I chisel off that gunk it seems like it was holding the car together. So far we only cleaned the immediate area around the flanges to be sure we didn't push any gunk back inside the case. Eventually I'll probably clean all that crap off.

It's amazing, sometimes we take the gunk off and the yellow zinc is pristine underneath. The gunk probably built up in the first year or so the car was on the road and kept everything perfect since then
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    It's amazing, sometimes we take the gunk off and the yellow zinc is pristine underneath.
    I was amazed to find out that the frame was originally gray, not black.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I was amazed to find out that the frame was originally gray, not black.
    Yeah, many color changes surprised me. Brake calipers - yellow. Frame - grey. Suspension arms - black. All of the above were pretty monochromatic when I got the car...

What's that you say? The transmission is made of aluminum and not seasoned cast iron?
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    What's that you say? The transmission is made of aluminum and not seasoned cast iron?
    That's about how I felt when I cleaned the oil pan for the first time... "Hey, this isn't a really grainy sand-cast piece of black metal after all..." :P

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Lots of great info and pics in this thread, thanks fellas!

I have to rework my cv joints and pull my transmission apart, but that comes later on. I need to get my frame in shape first.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast