FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grumbling from front

My VIN:    7075

Grumbling from front

I have a problem with my car. Doesn't seem to be serious, but I ask. So when I drive it and the speed is over 30 mph a grumbling comes from the left front of the car. The interesting part is that if I keep the speed and turn left, the grumbling disappears, but if I go straight or turn right, I can still hear it. My idea is that somehow the angle drive makes the noise, but I am not sure. I tried, but could not record it, but I think you can imagine.

An other related question. I checked the angle drive, and I don't know how it should be, but my angle drive can move a bit forward and back, so not fully fixed. Is it ok or this can make the noise? Otherwise everything works fine.

My VIN:    06960

I wouldn't be too concerned with the play in the angle drive. However the grumbling exactly how you described sounds like a wheel bearing going bad. Double check the torque on you lug nuts as well.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

+1

You might try disconnecting the angle drive to see if the cable is making the noise (even though it's 'grumbling'). Or jack it up just enough to get a pry bar under the tire and see if the bearing is worn/loose enough to get any movement...not that a bad one will necessarily move, but if it does, you should address it right a way since it might ruin other parts if/when it fails, not to mention it's dangerous...

Thanks for answers. I have an other question.
    If the problem is the bearing, how serious it is? I think it started this about 100 miles before, and I can only fix it next week, but this Saturday I will have a 300 miles trip. What do you think, should I skip the trip or this doesn't matter?

My VIN:    701

Quote Originally Posted by Sidaries View Post
    Thanks for answers. I have an other question.
    If the problem is the bearing, how serious it is? I think it started this about 100 miles before, and I can only fix it next week, but this Saturday I will have a 300 miles trip. What do you think, should I skip the trip or this doesn't matter?
    Doesn't matter

Quote Originally Posted by Bopat View Post
    Doesn't matter
    I won't accept your comment!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bopat View Post
    Doesn't matter
    Bearings can be noisy for a long time. But if ignored until failure the result is a bit catastrophic.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I had a front bearing fail on a DeLorean on the way back from a rather short trip.

I had a noisy front bearing fail after less than 200 miles of becoming rather noisy.
    Failed on the expressway, but I had slowed and moved to the right lane already.

The failed bearing was the front passenger side and when it did finally let loose,
    the car did get pulled violently toward the right sholder (on a bridge, of course).

I will look through my photo archive, since I took a few photos before the fix.

Check it yourself soon or get it checked out soon; sooner rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Bearings can be noisy for a long time. But if ignored until failure the result is a bit catastrophic.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Sidaries View Post
    ... but this Saturday I will have a 300 miles trip. What do you think, should I skip the trip or this doesn't matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
    Check it yourself soon or get it checked out soon; sooner rather than later.
    +1

Find where it is coming from and them decide...

Thanks for answers. So should I change this?

BEARING, FRONT WHEEL [100404]

http://www.delorean.eu/catalog/produ...afb101dcec8f6c

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast