FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New A/C Panel Design Prototype - Thoughts/Suggestions?

My VIN:    05141

I certainly like to see a big improvement.
    Yours is already an improvement, but as you ask for comments, here you go;

-I like the set up for the knobs better in one row! absolutely. But I think it would look better if you put them on top of the panel, and the switches lower.
    -The DMC logo is way too big. When you open the door, it has DMC already on the door sills.
    -Maybe a good idea to throw in some ambient lighting??
    -I do not mind the lettering on the origiginal decals
    -the light and hazard switches may use a more modern update as well.

John

Steering with power

On the middle knob, I would fill in the white on the one side with black paint since you eliminated the redundant wording for the modes; it would make the knob setup look more uniform in my opinion.

My VIN:    15880

Looks good. I know a navigation/double din radio would look great in our cars, but you have the problem with having relocate a lot of times on the dash to make it work. A single din with a flip up screen will block the vents.

Has anyone designed or implemented a new dash where you swap the vents and the radio position so you can keep all the lower knobs in the same place, but use a single din flip out radio while not blocking the vents?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DeloreanJoshQ View Post
    On the middle knob, I would fill in the white on the one side with black paint since you eliminated the redundant wording for the modes; it would make the knob setup look more uniform in my opinion.
    +1

...and flip the headlight switch over the "wrong" way (unless you have a right hand D ;-), or down the road,...anything but toward the driver.

My VIN:    05686

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi, I just want to say that I'm impressed and look forward to seeing what you end up with. Do you have an approximate price yet? I appreciate it.

Nelson

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by rudolf1379 View Post
    Hi, I just want to say that I'm impressed and look forward to seeing what you end up with. Do you have an approximate price yet? I appreciate it.

Nelson
    Thanks! No price yet, but would just offer it at cost if anyone wanted it. It would have to include a new decal, plastic light panel, and hopefully a simple way to modify the bracket. I'll keep everyone posted. I would like to take everyone's comments/suggestions into account while still keeping to what I set out to do - so not sure on timeline, but ready to rock 'n roll on it!
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

I realize I may be alone here but I'd like to see the fan fail light as an option, especially since I just bought a new fan controller and fail unit (Bitsyncmaster's) that actually use the fan fail light as intended.
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post
    I realize I may be alone here but I'd like to see the fan fail light as an option, especially since I just bought a new fan controller and fail unit (Bitsyncmaster's) that actually use the fan fail light as intended.
    My fan fail unit has a feature not being used yet. It provides a weak -5 volt bias on the fan fail light driver when the fans are running. I was planning on making my replacement AC panel have a green light to indicate the fans running and then that light would go red when indicating a fan failure.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Ac panel update!

Hello all! I thought I would post the progress on this project (with attached pictures) if anyone wanted to follow along.

1) I began with a damaged/cracked light panel I found at a total discount on this forum. Using a Dremel tool, I then cut out the sections of the panel I wanted to shift around to create my new design. Then using epoxy putty for plastics, I re-formed the panel in the desired configuration (you can see this in the picture). It is not the prettiest thing (didn't bother too much on parts of it since it will not be seen), but it got the job done perfectly! I actually had to create a new light tube to illuminate the new "DMC" logo on the decal design - wasn't as complicated as I had originally thought which was good.

Photo1-7.jpg

2) I then created a mold of that prototype part and prepped it to pour in the new plastic resin (that big blue "brick"). I had to use a resin that was crystal clear for the light tubes and would also stand up to the car heat. It came out perfect! The picture shows the light panel after painting it black to block the light in spots. I'm still waiting on the reflective white paint for the backs of the light tubes but already carries the light extremely well and distributes it evenly through a mocked-up decal overlay.

Photo1-6.jpg
    Photo1-8.jpg
    Photo1-9.jpg

Plug - I got the mold and resin materials from "Smooth-on". They make great products and found that the cheaper trial kits contained more than enough to do the job keeping the cost down.

3) The decal design is now complete and am currently having that fabricated (you can see the final design in the attached photo). It will have the same green-ish tint as the original when lit.

Panel-Back-and-Decal-2b.jpg

Still "to do"...

1) I have purchased a new console bracket and need to re-locate the HVAC selector switch mount along with 2 light bulb ports. Hopefully nothing behind the bracket will be too much of a problem.

2) Slap the new overlay on and install!

Almost there guys! I hope to have this all wrapped up within the next 2 weeks. I will post the final installation soon after. This has been a great little project so far!
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My VIN:    10110

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    3) The decal design is now complete and am currently having that fabricated (you can see the final design in the attached photo). It will have the same green-ish tint as the original when lit.

Panel-Back-and-Decal-2b.jpg
    First off great job on the mold and fabrication.

May I ask the process or company you are using to produce the overlay ?
    Was considering making one myself that would follow the "original" but never implemented design of solid black until back lights illuminate the panel.
    But I'm unfamiliar with the process used to "print" the overlay.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast