FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Continued Hunt for an A/T Delorean

My VIN:    6524 & 1988 Lotus Esprit. Previously 10801 & 3772.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I know of 2 locally that are automatics, ill PM you some of the info.

My VIN:    6524 & 1988 Lotus Esprit. Previously 10801 & 3772.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

there was one non running on the birmingham AL craigslist for 12k obo a couple of days ago

My VIN:    781

Quote Originally Posted by Bikercmbc View Post
    there was one non running on the birmingham AL craigslist for 12k obo a couple of days ago
    I actually saw that one and spoke with the owner. His price for that one in its current condition was just too high. There was way too much work needing to be done to it than could justify his price point. Thanks for the tip though!

Sorry for the "double post" as it were, but I feel it's been long enough since my previous post that it wont matter.

Just as a little update, I have been following a few leads in regards to finding the right automatic but so far not much has turned up with one exception (see below). Much of the current automatic market is far more high end than my current $14k (or lower) range. Perhaps this is due to their comparative rarity to manuels. Either way, I am still very much in the market for one so if anyone does run across something, I hope you remember this thread and let me know.

On a related note, I have been looking at a decently priced Auto Delorean with one major drawback - its painted red. Now, I've seen red D's before, but I'm much more of a stainless guy. So I'm kind of doing some mental gymnastics to figure out if I should even bother with it as if I bought it I would HAVE to restore it to its original stainless. That process can be quite complex (and expensive!) but I'm still not sure. If anyone has an opinion, or experience doing something similar, I'm certainly all ears!

My VIN:    3028

If manual is a deal breaker then a painted one should definitely be one. Keep looking and be patient.

Check craiglist in all states and cities every few days. There always seems to be many in Arizona, Las Vegas, California, Texas.

As far as price there are two ways to look at it:

1. Buy as cheap as you can, as long as the car is not a write off and restore it the way you want it.

2. Buy a more expensive one, and it will be driveable. But beware even cars that are in the 20k-30k range still need work.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I saw that red one too. Needs more pics to tell if is priced right.

Check on this forum for a couple of threads on removing paint (or were they on .com ?)
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I've heard of people using bondo/fillers to fix up damage prior to painting their DeLoreans so be careful - the stainless might not be all perfect under the paint.....

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I've heard of people using bondo/fillers to fix up damage prior to painting their DeLoreans so be careful - the stainless might not be all perfect under the paint.....
    I've thought of that myself. Honestly, I'm kind of backing away from that one. There is just way too much risk and cost associated with it if it turns out wrong.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm just going to keep my eyes open for a better fit. (And hopefully you guys will too!)

My VIN:    4266, Previously 11056

I'm sure you've already come by this one but I thought I'd throw it out there.

81 AT DeLorean in NC

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Kukem View Post
    I'm sure you've already come by this one but I thought I'd throw it out there.

81 AT DeLorean in NC
    Don't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I personally found this car for sale about 3 years ago and looked it over extensively (before it moved to Wilmington). The owner at that time had it for sale for about $22K dollars. I looked it over and found roughly $16K worth of work needed to be done to make it a daily driver. I offered him $10K and he wouldn't go any lower than $16K. That means that this guy selling it now picked it up for about $16K and has done nothing to it and expects to flip it and make a quick $3K on it. The unsuspecting person that buys this is gonna be pissed when they find all the work that needs to be done to it. Virtually bone stock and everything is worn out. Decent cosmetics, but nothing to write home about. I think it may have also been damaged by a hurricane that went thru the area after this guy bought it, so that would make it even worse than when I saw it. Buyer beware, unless you are a vendor.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast