FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel Distributor Issues

Fuel Distributor Issues

After dealing with 3126 for a long time now I feel closer to the underlying problem.

After reactivating the lambada circuit I now found that the injectors fire indefinitely once the plate is moved. Once they start they don't stop even though the adjustment screw is hand tight in the counter clockwise direction.

Has anyone had a similar problem or is this a problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
    After dealing with 3126 for a long time now I feel closer to the underlying problem.

After reactivating the lambada circuit I now found that the injectors fire indefinitely once the plate is moved. Once they start they don't stop even though the adjustment screw is hand tight in the counter clockwise direction.

Has anyone had a similar problem or is this a problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi Tony. This is how K Jet works. When the air metering plate is deflected fuel in continuously injected. Only in the rest position will you see the injectors stop flowing.

The CO adjustment screw which you have turned all the way counter clock wise does not control the flow of fuel off idle. Once the plate is deflected the position of the distributor piston is changed allowing fuel to flow at a metered rate.

Any more information on your fuel system issues? You definitely need to flow test your injectors and check the spray pattern to determine the fuel distributor and injectors condition.
    Last edited by Delorean Industries; 12-23-2011 at 10:50 PM.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    The CO adjustment screw which you have turned all the way counter clock wise does not control the flow of fuel off idle.
    Not that it is his problem, but if you turn the screw to where it raises the plunger at idle, the plunger will be higher throughout the arms travel...???

======

At this point, I would pull a few injectors, put them a jar and turn the screw clockwise (being careful not to push the plate down) until they just started to spray and back it off until they just quit. Then put it all back together and set the CO with a dwell meter per manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Not that it is his problem, but if you turn the screw to where it raises the plunger at idle, the plunger will be higher throughout the arms travel...???

======

At this point, I would pull a few injectors, put them a jar and turn the screw clockwise (being careful not to push the plate down) until they just started to spray and back it off until they just quit. Then put it all back together and set the CO with a dwell meter per manual.
    Nope. You can't manipulate the fuel curve of K jet like that.

My VIN:    6964

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

+1

As mentioned you should also make sure injectors flow is even on all 6.
    Lead Technician
    DMC Midwest

If you run into an injector with a flow issue switch the lines on the distributor with another port. This will rule out the injectors, distributor or both. Even rebuilt units have had issues in the past. Nothing iodine safe and everything should be subject. You need to replace nothing to diag k jet. Do not throw parts at the problem.

Nope. You can't manipulate the fuel curve of K jet like that.
    Are we on the same page here... are you saying that if I hold the plate steady anywhere but at the idle position then turn the CO screw in, the plunger will not rise???

Are we on the same page here... are you saying that if I hold the plate steady anywhere but at the idle position then turn the CO screw in, the plunger will not rise???
    Yes, That is correct when fuel pressure is on the system. The Co adjustment is attached via a piece of spring steel. The adjustment only effects idle. You can not manipulate the fuel curve of K jet by this screw. That is why boost applications require a hobbs switch, shimming the line pressure or adjusting the control pressure screw in the warm up regulator.

So even if the plate returns to rest the injectors should fire?

The spray pattern is not ideal but I'm just trying to get it respectable it was getting somewhere around 10mpg.

Under "Waking a Sleeping Delorean" they said to leanit out until it stopped then tap the plate & enrich it until the injectors fire again. Is that incorrect?

Yes, That is correct when fuel pressure is on the system. The Co adjustment is attached via a piece of spring steel. The adjustment only effects idle. You can not manipulate the fuel curve of K jet by this screw. That is why boost applications require a hobbs switch, shimming the line pressure or adjusting the control pressure screw in the warm up regulator.
    I see where I missed "Idle Circuit", but exactly where is the spring steel? I can't find it in several diagrams... Looks like two solid arms sharing a pivot here to me...
    Idle circuit.jpg
    THX
    =======

So even if the plate returns to rest the injectors should fire?
    Only when it is running...the air flow will pull the plate (back) down.

Under "Waking a Sleeping Delorean" they said to leanit out until it stopped then tap the plate & enrich it until the injectors fire again. Is that incorrect?
    I think you missed where he said "...with the pressure plate slightly pushed down..." This and the above method is just to rough it in...the final adjustment is touchy so you need to set it with a dwell or duty-cycle meter.

In case you don't have one- http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?102-Workshop-Manual

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast