FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Fuel Distributor Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    is the piston in the fuel distributor stuck ?
    I don't know, how would I test for that?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
    It won't start at all that way....
    I was thinking it might be turned on all of the time flooding it (or hung open, which is probably not the case since it don't start with out it).
    1. Try unplugging the CSV after it starts.
    2. Try manipulating the plate & throttle (independently) by hand and get it to settle down. (If you can, check vacuum leaks, timing, dwell, etc) Dwell last.
    3. Like Elvis said, check that the plunger is free!
    Needs CSV to start (maybe lean), but fowls the plugs(too rich).....

EDIT: Does the plate have pressure when you press it down and come back up by itself smoothly throughout its travel (right after the fuel pump has ran)? Note: this will dump a lot of fuel into the engine.
    To thoroughly check plunger, relieve the fuel pressure. There are 3 screws running straight down through the Fuel Distributor, remove them. If you are lucky, the hoses will allow you to lift it up. The plunger is inserted straight up through the bottom. It should move very freely. So free that it may fall out by its own weight! So be very careful not to let it drop out! It has precision machine work done to it. It can't be scuffed, scared, etc.
    Breeze through this link to get a look at it. DON'T take your FD apart...or risk extra charges if you have to order one!
    Last edited by Ron; 12-27-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Timing & vacuum are okay. Both were something I tried prior to this point.

The plate does have pressure but I have not noticed how it returns. I'll check the plunger when I get a chance.

The plate does have pressure but I have not noticed how it returns. I'll check the plunger when I get a chance.
    ? what exactly do you mean ?
    the plate returns by itself. please explain more detailed what you mean.

did you play with the fuel lines ?

I remember one car I worked on where another guy did swap two hoses.
    We compared it to my car and found the mistake. 2 minutes later the car ran again.

I gave up & took the car to DMV Do Cal & they found that A) the plunger was sticking & B) most of the ignition system was shot. They said in their 30 years this was one of the most difficult times they've had getting a car running.

Nothing witty here lest it offend

I gave up & took the car to DMV Do Cal & they found that A) the plunger was sticking & B) most of the ignition system was shot. They said in their 30 years this was one of the most difficult times they've had getting a car running.
    Please keep us posted. I believe you're far from being out of the woods.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4