FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gas tank vent?

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by EdR5150 View Post
    Where do you run it? The front crumple tube? What gauge wire?
    I ran a ground wire directly from the battery to the fuel pump. I don't recommend doing this because it bypasses the inertia switch. I did this temporary fix because I was in a bind and needed to make sure my fuel pump didn't have any ground problems for the 10+ hour trip to Sean's house a few months back.

I'm not sure what gauge the wire is. It is just some spare wire I had laying around from when I rewired 12v to my radio. I wouldn't recommend doing what I did, since my ground connection is for testing purposes only. When I get around to it I'm going to remove it and install a full ground bus similar to what Captain Carburetor has done.

As I've said over and over, don't do what I did. I'm not married, don't have a girlfriend, no kids, and frankly, I don't value my life. If my parents weren't alive to worry about me, I would own a motorcycle.

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I don't recommend doing this because it bypasses the inertia switch.
    I thought the hot wire would run through it... does the ground really run through the inertia switch?
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

does the ground really run through the inertia switch?
    Yes. Schematics can be seen here:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?40...ing-Schematics
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    03572

I thought the hot wire would run through it... does the ground really run through the inertia switch?
    Yes all the pump current goes throught the switch. It should have been wired to the RPM relay so no current would pass throught the switch.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Just to follow up on this quick. If there is a problem with the charcoal canister, would that kick on the Lambda light? Not really sure about a car from this vintage but other cars with emission controls would usually trip a check engine light if something like that happens.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    1776

Quote Originally Posted by DMC3165 View Post
    Just to follow up on this quick. If there is a problem with the charcoal canister, would that kick on the Lambda light? Not really sure about a car from this vintage but other cars with emission controls would usually trip a check engine light if something like that happens.
    No. Cars in 1981 had nowhere near as sophisticated onboard diagnostics as cars do now. The Lambda light comes on when the Lambda counter counts enough miles. The oxygen sensors of the time had poor durability and the only way to make the cars pass emissions standards was to enforce replacement of the oxygen sensor every so often. Chevrolets of the same time period had a mechanical red flag that would drop down in the odometer window to tell you to replace the oxygen sensor. AFAIK on the D there is no direct diagnostic capability with respect to the evaporative emissions system.

I've still been having periodic trouble with this. But I noticed today after an hour drive my gas cap had alot of pressure under it. When I pulled it off and restarted the car I could see gas vapors bellowing out the gas fill.

I checked my canister and all the lines are clear the inside of the canister seems ok no obvious obstructions anywhere. I did notice the small line to the left of the canister was difficult to blow into. But I still don't think this is my problem.

Gas smell at times is horrible. Comes right in where the shifter boot is. Hopefully I won't blow myself up one day with this thing.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I would check the vent hose that runs from the gas tank to the cannister to make sure it is hooked up, not blocked off or kinked.
    David Teitelbaum

What is the roll over valve for and is it a check valve?
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC3165 View Post
    What is the roll over valve for and is it a check valve?
    See page 85:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13720563/DeL...cal-Hybrid.pdf

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast