FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Indash Ipad for Delorean

My VIN:    3390

Indash Ipad for Delorean

I have been looking around online and have been thinking about building a indash mount for my Ipad. There would have to be some major moving around of parts, like air vents for sure. Have any of you guys though about putting a Ipad in or mini computer?

Master Fabricator protodelorean's Avatar

My VIN:    02650

Club(s):   (DMA)

I've got a full car computer setup in 02650. Dell Laptop mounted in docking station in the rear deck. USB hub in the console, GPS receiver under the dash, slot-load optical drive and 7" touch screen in the dash. There's a forum over at mp3car.com that focuses on these installs. There's even a guy with a vw bug with ipad in the dash.

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by protodelorean View Post
    I've got a full car computer setup in 02650. Dell Laptop mounted in docking station in the rear deck. USB hub in the console, GPS receiver under the dash, slot-load optical drive and 7" touch screen in the dash. There's a forum over at mp3car.com that focuses on these installs. There's even a guy with a vw bug with ipad in the dash.
    Pictures!!!
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Take a look at the Parrot Asteroid car stereo. Its not an ipad, but it may satisfy your itch... plus, its single din so its ready to go.

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

An in-car iPad is something I've been considering as well (along with a car computer and a lot of other modifications to the interior to add random electronics). I assume that I'll have to relocate the climate controls and radio, and possibly move the vents, meaning I'll have to fabricate a bunch of stuff. I'm still in the very preliminary ideas stage, and have some other projects to do first, so I won't be getting to this for a while.

-- Joe

My VIN:    3390

I think I know how I'm going to do it and keep the ac vents where they are. Two things I'm waiting for, one to get my car back after winter storage and two seeing what the two new iPads are going to look like.

My goal is to make a snap in snap out holder.

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

A snap-out holder is something I want to do, too (in that, I want to be able to easily remove the iPad from it, but have it securely attached when it's in the mount). I hope to design it such that I can easily replace the mount as necessary for new iPad models. My plan is to use the iPad for all the things I don't want to program from scratch (like GPS navigation), and probably as an internet connection for the eventual car computer.

One of the things I'm waiting for is the Printrbot+, which was a recent project on Kickstarter -- that'll let me print volumes 8" on a side in ABS plastic; anything bigger I can make in pieces. Seems easier than learning how to fiberglass right now, but then I'm a computer guy.

-- Joe

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    A snap-out holder is something I want to do, too (in that, I want to be able to easily remove the iPad from it, but have it securely attached when it's in the mount). I hope to design it such that I can easily replace the mount as necessary for new iPad models.
    Unless you're talking about a permanent mount that can interchange with different cases for various models of iPads that you modify to fit to it, that isn't going to work.

The form factors on the iPad vs. iPad2 are very different in both the thickness of the unit, as well as the edges.

If I were to install an iPad in my DeLorean, I wouldn't put it in the dash. Too much of a temptation for thieves, and too much risk for UV and heat damage to the unit. Instead I would mount it from the headliner.

Take a nice snap case for an iPad, and affix a set of clutch hinges from a Mac Book Pro or similar portable to it, and mount it to a plate that you can attach to the ceiling. From there you can run the 30-Pin USB cable down to your radio play your music from your iPad. True, it might block the rear view mirror. However there have been apps that allow you to tether an iPhone to an iPad in order to use it as an external camera.

All you'd have to do is either flip the unit up to use your rear view mirror, or switch between your apps using fast switching or gestures on your iPad.

My VIN:    3816

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    Take a look at the Parrot Asteroid car stereo. Its not an ipad, but it may satisfy your itch... plus, its single din so its ready to go.
    That actually looks pretty neat!
    -Ben-

My VIN:    3028

I would settle for a good cup holder.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast