FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Orifice Tube Install

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    The orientation in the original picture is correct...

My bad, guys!
    I didn't notice that until the large picture was entered.
    Apologies to all.

Let's try and do it better in 2012.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My VIN:    05457

Thanks Ron & Jim.

Here is a better picture of how far it slides in.

My pipe looks straight, not sure how I would straighten it any more. I originally tried installing this when the evaporator was outside the car (before I had a chance to possibly bend it in any way), but had the same issue. I figured it was because I didn't have lubricant. I now have lube, but things are more difficult since the evaporator is installed.

I didn't quite follow the tapered rod suggestion, are you talking about using something like this to tap it in?

Tapered rod:
    David Proehl

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I guess it goes w/o saying but the rod I mentioned above should be tapered on the end only...

=======
    LOL WelmoedJ

EDIT: MAN, I'm having bad timing today lol.

The rod MUST be round! ...you would be reshaping the tube. I hesitate to say because if it gets stuck you will hate me lol, but first time I did it years ago, I went through some deep well sockets (because they are tapered) and an extension that locks onto it... I do a lot of AC work so I wound up making one out of an extension. Like I said before there is a crimp in the tube that the OT butts up against. No need to go that far -- if you spread it open, the evaporator will eat the ot. I said to hold behind the crimp so as not to distort the area that the OT goes in any further. Use lots of AC oil! Got me?
    Last edited by Ron; 12-29-2011 at 05:12 PM.

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Yea dont open the crimp. I once got one that had a bad crimp. I knew i shouldnt have installed it, but the vendor assured me it would be ok. Got it charged and 30 seconds later it sucked up the orafice tube. That was fun. Got to do the whole job over. I wasnt happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I guess it goes w/o saying but the rod I mentioned above should be tapered on the end only...

=======
    LOL WelmoedJ

EDIT: MAN, the I'm having bad timing today lol.

The rod MUST be round! ...you would be reshaping the tube. I hesitate to say because if it gets stuck you will hate me lol, but first time I did it years ago, I went through some deep well sockets (because they are tapered) and an extension that locks onto it... I do a lot of AC work so I wound up making one out of an extension. Like I said before there is a crimp in the tube that the OT butts up against. No need to go that far -- if you spread it open, the evaporator will eat the ot. I said to hold behind the crimp so as not to distort the area that the OT goes in any further. Use lots of AC oil! Got me?
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by WelmoedJ View Post
    You're right about the pulling.
    However as the OT has to be put into the pipe, my afore statement sticks.
    I've assisted in the replacement of a couple of OTs in several D's and the way I described it, has been the way we did it.
    Now that I see the photo (I'm at home)....It does show it backwards from the way I install them,
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I had one break off with nothing left to grab. I pressurized back at the compressor and blew it out with about 100 PSI.
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Soundkillr View Post
    Yea dont open the crimp. I once got one that had a bad crimp. I knew i shouldnt have installed it, but the vendor assured me it would be ok. Got it charged and 30 seconds later it sucked up the orafice tube. That was fun. Got to do the whole job over. I wasnt happy.
    Knowing you, I'd like to have heard the next phone call LOL!!!

No need to get that close to it because there is plenty of room even on the short side. In this case I would keep tapping and checking until I knew the hose would never hit the OT plus a tad and move on... If the pressure ever moves it, the crimp will grab it.

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

....Twas a fun phone call!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Knowing you, I'd like to have heard the next phone call LOL!!!

No need to get that close to it because there is plenty of room even on the short side. In this case I would keep tapping and checking until I knew the hose would never hit the OT plus a tad and move on... If the pressure ever moves it, the crimp will grab it.
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Now that I see the photo (I'm at home)....It does show it backwards from the way I install them,
    Dave - Are you saying the photo in my last post has it in backwards? I can definitely slide it in way further, and very easily, if I flip it around. All the previous posts though indicate I'm installing it the proper direction.
    David Proehl

I just went out to look at an old orifice tube (used). And it does have trapped "dirt" on the long screen side of the tube. So the long side is indeed the inlet as shown in the later photo. You only need to insert the OT until the O-ring seals. Don't force it in to far or you will be sorry when you can not remove it later.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast