FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The DeLorean Story- The Car, The People, The Scandal

My VIN:    7075

Quote Originally Posted by nick sutton View Post
    Still not full evidence that it was the same car until a few weeks ago. The glove box had been locked for thirty years and the new owner had managed to open the compartment.

Inside was a map. I'll post it later.

Nick Sutton
    I wait for it.

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Oh I don't deny for a minute the impact of BTTF on the Delorean culture and popularity. My point was that not every Delorean owner/enthusiast centers their love of the car around the movie. I was a fan of the car the moment I saw the prototype in a magazine ad.
    Minor derail, but this smacks hard of "I was into (thing) BEFORE it was cool."

Anyway, of course not every owner associates their getting a DeLorean with BTTF, but a largely significant number of owners do. And when you think about it, they made the car into the star of not one but three Hollywood blockbusters. Because of BTTF, millions upon millions of additional people know what the DMC-12 is and without it, it would have ended up being a minor automotive curiosity known pretty much only to enthusiasts. JZD himself wrote to the production team of BTTF to thank them and tell them how much he enjoyed the movie.

That being on par with the drugs thing? No comparison at all. Nobody has any clue what happened. Not a single person I've met has ever gotten the story right; I've heard everything from "yeah he got busted selling cocaine and that's why the company went under" to "he's still in prison for those possession charges and doing coke". But at the same time, everyone knows that the DeLorean time vehicle was built by Doc Brown, had a flux capacitor, and goes to 88 to travel through time.

I'm sorry, but the BTTF contribution is far more meaningful and significant than a simple "footnote", and to claim otherwise is dishonest, especially to the DeLorean community.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by nick sutton;

Nick Sutton[ATTACH=CONFIG
    8620[/ATTACH]
    aarrgghhh. Pirates of the DeLoribean.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Nick SuttonAttachment 8620
    Nick, this is turning into quite the cliffhanger!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

Aha! When you sent that photo to me, I mentioned to you it might be the same one that was recently covered in "DeLorean World" magazine! Looking forward to see the map, too!

James

Sometime early last year I was approached by a man who had just purchased a gold coloured Volvo 264. It was in poor condition. But there was evidence that the car had been used at Lotus during the DeLorean period. Having failed to get any information from Lotus Cars regarding the Volvo's history he contacted me. The only thing I could recall about the model is that I had sales brochure of the Volvo 264 in pristine condition. It had been in my garage for almost thirty years - why I had it is a mystery but it came from my office at DeLorean.

Then late last year I spoke to Paul Fricker who had worked on the Delorean in particular the PRV engine. He told me that Lotus had purchased a Volvo as a comparator in fuel economy. Eventually he sent me some photographs- one of them had a gold Volvo in the background. The photograph was taken in the Lotus DeLorean Hangar at Hethel. This is attached.

Still not full evidence that it was the same car until a few weeks ago. The glove box had been locked for thirty years and the new owner had managed to open the compartment.

Nick SuttonAttachment 8620

Map

And here it ismap.pdf
    courtesy Omar buyer of the Gold Volvo used at Lotus in the development of the DeLorean

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Maybe I'm the only one but I don't fully grasp the significance of the highlighted areas. Obviously Norwich is Lotus HQ, but what were they doing at those three points? Was it a driving route?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Book Flight of the DeLorean

Just a few more lines to write. James Espey has kindly offered his services in proof reading. Not long to go now.Next step to find a publisher.
    Nick Sutton

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

bravo!
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

The book " Flight of the DeLorean"

After three marathon sittings I have finished the book. James Espey is proof reading which in itself is a mammoth task. I have contacted three publishers and sent drafts of the book for their review.

I'm also talking to the media to dramatise the story.

I'll keep you posted as to progress.

Nick Sutton

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast