FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Crack In Rear Firewall

It's back....

Took a little longer but seems like your same scenario, Wolff.

Do you have any tips for the repair you did to the fiberglass? Any "after" pics, by chance?

I'm thinking of glassing in a some support at the corner you have pictured - it sounds and feels like that is exactly where it's coming from, and I can't see any downside to some extra strength there.

Thanks!

I attempted a fiberglass patch at that spot. I think I did a solid job. But no impact on the noise.

Perhaps I'm just being obsessive and need to understand that fiberglass cars make these creaks. Any one able to validate that?

I'm back to looking sideways at the crossbrace. Last time I removed the bolts, cleaned the mounting surfaces, and retorqued. This seemed to rid me of the noise temporarily.
    This time I removed the brace entirely, cleaned it, re-cleaned the mounting surfaces including further grinding down the metal piece that runs through the frame. This time it seems like the frequency (how often it happens, not the pitch) of the noise is a bit decreased.

I noticed the black paint was rubbed to metal -but not rusted- along the edge. Other knicks in the brace have surface rust. So I wonder if this surface isn't rubbing against the fiberglass.

Can anyone confirm what the top surface of this metal tube mounted in the fiberglass should be like? Mine is FAR from flat. The flat surface of the crossbrace is absolutely not cleanly meeting another flat surface. You can easy slide a piece of card board between the flat part of the crossbrace and the fiberglass.

Has anyone run into this - anyone have an opinion as to if I should or shouldn't further grind this metal surface flat to create a better face for the crossbrace to bolt against?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2