FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 161 of 188 FirstFirst ... 61 111 151 159 160 161 162 163 171 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 1872

Thread: Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    How often do you get comments starting with this: "If you don't mind me asking...?"

Isn't that just code for "I'm about to ask you something personal/obnoxious/none of my business, so hopefully you'll be less offended if I warn you first?"

If you don't mind me asking...

what did you pay for that?
    what's it worth?
    what did it set you back?

Usually money related. No one seems to ever start with that and then it just ends up being a harmless, normal, curious question.

If you don't mind me asking...

what kind of oil do you use?
    what air pressure is in the tires?
    how many of these did they ever make?

Sort of like when someone says they were just trying to be honest (but ended up being more brutal than honest) or "don't take this the wrong way, but..."

...or, "I just have a quick question for you" and it's never quick and I'm VERY guilty of that one myself, lol.
    By far the most common questions I get are related to how much the car cost. I don't think people are trying to be rude or anything, people are just looking for a ballpark idea of what they are going for. I don't tell people what I paid for mine but rather tell them that like with any car the price depends on condition so they range from the low teens to upper 30's and beyond.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I think that's definitely it.

People rarely see them so have no idea of their cost.

Same with me with rarer cars. If I am at a car show I would never ask a Ferrari owner how much they are because I have a rough idea and that's >$100k, way more than I would pay for a car.

Likewise I wouldn't ask a Triumph/MG or other common British car, how much their is as again I have a rough idea.

But the guy with the Sunbeam Tiger V8; or the TVR; or the Bristol - yes, I'd be curious and would probably ask, but only as part of a larger conversation about his/her car.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10907

Eh, when somebody asks me what I spent on my car I just tell them, with the caveat that you can get ones in worse condition for less, better condition for more (and probably vice-versa).

My VIN:    6472

The most common question I get (and my least favorite one) is also "how much did it cost". I'll give them an honest answer but a vague one. Random strangers don't need to know specifics. They have a device in their pocket that can give them all the answers they need, so they shouldn't even be asking.

My VIN:    3937

I can go with the general approach, but don't care much for when guys ask specifics. Big difference IMO when someone asks "about how much are these in general" compared to "what did I pay for mine specifically."

I'll give the range of prices as I see it and how they change depending on condition. It takes a special kind of stupid though when after someone asks me how much I paid and then I tell them how much they are in general and then they still ask me how much mine was specifically. My reaction after that will depend on my mood, which isn't always cheery depending on the level of idiocy already encountered that particular day.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

My reaction after that will depend on my mood, which isn't always cheery depending on the level of idiocy already encountered that particular day.
    That's a biggie. When my father and i did a 4 day car rally back in May, I was pretty much out of nice by the last day if someone was getting too pushy. I was filling up with gas on the last day, trying to get my tap card to work then get through all the prompts on the pump all while watching the clock while a guy continued to ask what i considered to be very invasive questions. I answered the first few with vague accuracy then eventually had to curtly say something along the lines of "this really isn't a good time, can you please leave me alone?." Sometimes it's the wrong guy asking the wrong questions the wrong way at the wrong time and something's gotta give.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    10201

I don't mind telling people what I paid for mine. It's not really personal to me. Only time it bugged me is when the guy said my car was only worth 7k painted.

Last stupid comment I got was a guy saying "to get it to look like it came from the factory you need to use steel wool on it" he was baffled when I flatly said "no, it's stainless steel and that'll make it rust"

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Ten years of stupidity like this is why when my DMC needs gas I fill a 5-gallon gas can and bring that home.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Ten years of stupidity like this is why when my DMC needs gas I fill a 5-gallon gas can and bring that home.
    Ahhh, that's 10 years of experience leading to expertise. And brilliance. I like that idea.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Ahhh, that's 10 years of experience leading to expertise. And brilliance. I like that idea.
    I know it sounds rather misanthropic, but the previous two years I drove the car less than 100 miles because I was so fed up from the general stupidity.

99% of my annoyance came during gas station scenarios, so this year I decided to start just bringing gas home. Between that, and either just driving the car on a pre-planned driving route and coming home, or taking it to friend's houses, my enjoyment of it has gone up immeasurably. A few hundred miles put on it this year already.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Page 161 of 188 FirstFirst ... 61 111 151 159 160 161 162 163 171 ... LastLast