FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 144 of 188 FirstFirst ... 44 94 134 142 143 144 145 146 154 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1872

Thread: Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

My VIN:    6235

When I first bought mine, I was driving it home from DMC Ca. I stopped to get gas in Santa Barbara and a guy in a brand new Lamborghini pulled up to get gas and was drooling over it and was saying that it was an awesome car!! I said , yeah..yours isn't too bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

The 'does it run' question...

I've owned my D for some 15years now, I'm mid 30's so I still consider my self a young owner of such a car.

My car used to be a weekend driver in summer only etc... But in the last few years it has almost become my daily driver I have a nice 20mile commute to work which involves country roads and national speed limit duel carriageway, so a nice mix of driving.

Anyway, I'm office based during the week so my car sits outside the office which is on a secluded business centre, even so from my office I often witness many people taking a good look around, perhaps the occasional photo etc... All of which is absolutely fine by me.

On Saturdays I work in our retail shop, the car is outside the front of the shop and I guess 90% of people who come in the shop mention the DeLorean, and my colleague steers them to me, and the usual chit chat ensues, and I love it.

However the one question I simply do not understand, which is probably asked 2-3 times per day is 'does it run?'

I have to bite my tongue a little, as this question is often asked AFTER I have told them that it is my daily car.

I feal like saying 'no it's a non runner I just bring it to work on a lowloader to get attention for the shop'

Some people refuse to engage brain before mouth.

James

J

My VIN:    20034

Thanks DMC!!! This is a $100,00 valued car now!!!!

Now when rude or pushy people ask "How much did you pay for this, or how much is it worth?", I think we can all thank DMC for increasing the value of our DeLoreans (at least in our minds and in the minds of the public) as the next batch will all be in the $-100,000 range according to all the news stories out there in last couple of months. Therefore, just tell rude people you got a "STEAL OF A DEAL" on your current and "original" classic/collectible generation of 1981, 1982 or 1983 stainless steel DeLorean.

I've had nothing but fun meeting people in this car, and within the first 30 minutes of ownership, a mom quickly walked her 5 year old boy across a huge parking lot on a direct bee-line to my car and politely asked if it would be ok if she took a couple photos for her family as she had NEVER seen one in person. I also entertained a group of ARMY folks out on patrol just a few minutes later. The good folks with curious, but friendly attitudes far outweigh the bad.

StanManPushN88

IMG_5675.jpgIMG_2739.jpg

My VIN:    10201

Since I have painted car, I get baffled by how many people bring up the "original silver." I thought they were famous for being "all stainless" lol. It's not so much stupid, but odd to me that people don't know about something so iconic to the car.

My VIN:    5778

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    It's weird cause I mostly know social etiquette because it's been told to me. so I usually answer those questions because it doesn't bother me. However, I do find it rather odd how often people ask how much I paid for it or what my salary is.

I realized that this was the first time I tried to correct misinformation but they wouldn't believe me.
    Same here. A kid was in my garage while I was putting my door struts on asking me those questions. I told them the going rate for my car's condition was about 30 to 35k, no less than 25k. He seemed satisfied with that. I don't tell people what I make.

--Doug
    FB Page: #ProjectDelorean https://www.facebook.com/ProjectDelorean88mph
    Twitter: @projdelorean

"Back Before the Future"--the story before the story of a crazy dude trying to timetravel...kindof like expedia...only bumpier...

My VIN:    4519

When/if I'm asked how much did it cost (or how much to sell it,) I say $50K. I don't feel obligated to tell a complete stranger anything I don't want them to know, nor give them accurate info.

Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech RamblinDMC's Avatar

My VIN:    2203

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Took #2203 to a very nice invite only concours style car show for Memorial Day. Had a great time, met a lot of nice people that were genuinely interested in the car and its history. I wondered how I was able to avoid a stupid comment the whole day. That was until I was packing up. Upon opening the "frunk" to stow away my fold up lawn chairs, I overheard a group of three 17-ish year old girls say, "Oh yeah, the engine is in the back, that's how cars were years ago." Facepalm....

My VIN:    1776

The only "how much is it worth" questions I've gotten have come from other car enthusiasts, and they are usually careful to ask, "How much do these usually sell for?" because it avoids actually asking me how much *I* paid, which they know may be different.

Some people are surprised to learn that it's rear-engined, but that's excusable. The styling doesn't give strong cues either way.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    When/if I'm asked how much did it cost (or how much to sell it,) I say $50K. I don't feel obligated to tell a complete stranger anything I don't want them to know, nor give them accurate info.
    This is a remarkably good point.... I should keep this in mind.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    This is a remarkably good point.... I should keep this in mind.
    Completely agree. This just became my default response. I've never been much good at being concise with stuff so this will come in handy. Like having a multiple choice list of answers ready to go to tell certain people. Attaboy Rich, I owe you one!!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 144 of 188 FirstFirst ... 44 94 134 142 143 144 145 146 154 ... LastLast