Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
How often do you get comments starting with this: "If you don't mind me asking...?"

Isn't that just code for "I'm about to ask you something personal/obnoxious/none of my business, so hopefully you'll be less offended if I warn you first?"

If you don't mind me asking...

what did you pay for that?
what's it worth?
what did it set you back?

Usually money related. No one seems to ever start with that and then it just ends up being a harmless, normal, curious question.

If you don't mind me asking...

what kind of oil do you use?
what air pressure is in the tires?
how many of these did they ever make?

Sort of like when someone says they were just trying to be honest (but ended up being more brutal than honest) or "don't take this the wrong way, but..."

...or, "I just have a quick question for you" and it's never quick and I'm VERY guilty of that one myself, lol.
By far the most common questions I get are related to how much the car cost. I don't think people are trying to be rude or anything, people are just looking for a ballpark idea of what they are going for. I don't tell people what I paid for mine but rather tell them that like with any car the price depends on condition so they range from the low teens to upper 30's and beyond.