FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 175 of 188 FirstFirst ... 75 125 165 173 174 175 176 177 185 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 1872

Thread: Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

My VIN:    3349

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Two weeks ago I went out to dinner with my wife in the Delorean. We parked and got out of the car, and this guy frantically ran over to us. Looked at the car then looked at me and said is this car real? I wasn’t sure how to react....if it was fake would I be able to drive it?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

These aren't exactly DeLorean comments. They're just weird "DeLorean" items currently for sale on eBay.

Need any matching grout for the frame or the fascias?

How about a new power steering filter that's said to be compatible?

Weird if not stupid.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    These aren't exactly DeLorean comments. They're just weird "DeLorean" items currently for sale on eBay.

Need any matching grout for the frame or the fascias?

How about a new power steering filter that's said to be compatible?

Weird if not stupid.
    Hmmmm

- Martin - VIN 5436 -

My VIN:    4328

At a car show yesterday a guy drives up and looks at the car and says, "Is that a real actual delorean?" I said yes, they don't make kit cars for this.

Another guy at the show goes, "Those got an aluminum body right?". No, it's stainless steel sir.

My VIN:    4328

I forgot the one guy that asked if it had an AMC motor in it....

My VIN:    03500

A month ago I was able to attend a car show because it was the only one not canceled. This gentleman as he was looking at the car said he went to the factory for a tour. I was like wow cool how were you able to do that? He said he was in Pennsylvania and asked if he could take a look. I'm was like what these cars weren't made here in the states. He gives a bewildered look. I go they were made in northern Ireland! He said well there were a lot of parts there. This was definitely a weird one for me.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    A month ago I was able to attend a car show because it was the only one not canceled. This gentleman as he was looking at the car said he went to the factory for a tour. I was like wow cool how were you able to do that? He said he was in Pennsylvania and asked if he could take a look. I'm was like what these cars weren't made here in the states. He gives a bewildered look. I go they were made in northern Ireland! He said well there were a lot of parts there.
    You were right but the gentleman you met probably wasn't completely wrong. He was likely just suffering from poor memory about the location.

A number of DeLoreans were assembled/finished in Columbus OH by Consolidated Industries, the company that bought the inventory of parts and partially-completed cars out of the DMC bankruptcy in the UK. Ohio is next to Pennsylvania so his story sort of stands up. Right "factory", wrong state. And for sure he would have seen lots and lots of parts at Consolidated.

The "DMC DeLorean" Wikipedia page puts the number of cars finished by Consolidated at approx. 100 which would be about 1% of the total production. So, yes, DMC's only factory was in Northern Ireland but not every DeLorean made in the '80s was entirely made in that factory.

My VIN:    03500

Yes. It could be very possible he was thinking of consolidated industries.

On a side note. Last summer I met a woman at a show that told me her uncle worked for Delorean and the trucks loaded with Deloreans went past her house. She had to take a picture to send to him.

Dave B.

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You were right but the gentleman you met probably wasn't completely wrong. He was likely just suffering from poor memory about the location.

A number of DeLoreans were assembled/finished in Columbus OH by Consolidated Industries, the company that bought the inventory of parts and partially-completed cars out of the DMC bankruptcy in the UK. Ohio is next to Pennsylvania so his story sort of stands up. Right "factory", wrong state. And for sure he would have seen lots and lots of parts at Consolidated.

The "DMC DeLorean" Wikipedia page puts the number of cars finished by Consolidated at approx. 100 which would be about 1% of the total production. So, yes, DMC's only factory was in Northern Ireland but not every DeLorean made in the '80s was entirely made in that factory.
    Roughly 100 cars were completed after Consolidated took the reigns (roughly VINs 20000 to 20105), but I've never heard of that taking place in Ohio. The only car I'm aware of that was assembled in Ohio is VIN 20105, the car Consolidated assembled from the spare American Express gold plated panels and raffled off (and given the last DeLorean VIN). To be best of my knowledge, all other cars were completed in Northern Ireland.
    Last edited by louielouie2000; 10-19-2020 at 11:43 AM.
    Louie Golden

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    Roughly 100 cars were completed after Consolidated took the reigns (roughly VINs 20000 to 20105), but I've never heard of that taking place in Ohio. The only car I'm aware of that was assembled in Ohio is VIN 20105, the car Consolidated assembled from the spare American Express gold plated panels and raffled off (and given the last DeLorean VIN). To be best of my knowledge, all other cars were completed in Northern Ireland.
    Thanks for the good comments.

In re-reading the end of John Lamm's Stainless Steel Illusion just now I see that Consolidated did have control of the inventory and the cars in DMC's Dunmurry factory after winning the bankruptcy auction. They visited the DMC factory while considering their 45-day option to continue production, an option they did not exercise. It implies the 100+ cars that were completed after bankruptcy were completed in the DMC factory and belonged to Consolidated.

So apparently only that one gold-spare D was built in the USA (not counting any DMCH new-builds since then).

Sorry for any confusion on that.

Page 175 of 188 FirstFirst ... 75 125 165 173 174 175 176 177 185 ... LastLast