FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Delorean towing - Quick answer

Delorean towing - Quick answer

Hi... Yes, I've reviewed some previous posts with great advice, but didn't see exactly what I am looking for...

Is there a towed covered car carrier where I can get in/out of that when loaded with my D will be under 5000 pounds? I was looking at the uhaul 6x12 dual axle. But not sure uhaul permits those to be used to ship a vehicle nor if the doors would open when loaded. Any confirmations?

If not, does such a configuration exist or do I just need to plan to open tow?

And if open tow, has anyone successfully made a decent range run (1500 miles) with a car cover intact?

Ultimately, my goal is to preserve her finish, prevent rock chips, etc.

Thanks in advance...

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by madcity View Post
    Hi... Yes, I've reviewed some previous posts with great advice, but didn't see exactly what I am looking for...

Is there a towed covered car carrier where I can get in/out of that when loaded with my D will be under 5000 pounds? I was looking at the uhaul 6x12 dual axle. But not sure uhaul permits those to be used to ship a vehicle nor if the doors would open when loaded. Any confirmations?

If not, does such a configuration exist or do I just need to plan to open tow?

And if open tow, has anyone successfully made a decent range run (1500 miles) with a car cover intact?

Ultimately, my goal is to preserve her finish, prevent rock chips, etc.

Thanks in advance...
    These are pictures of Andy Stanos car.
    Andy Strano moved from Nevada to Minnesota. His car is a time machine.

These are from his Instagram.

Dave B.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 05-21-2023 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    These are pictures of Andy Stanos car.
    Andy Strano moved from Nevada to Minnesota. His car is a time machine.

These are from his Instagram.

Dave B.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Thank you!

I would not tow with a car cover. It is more likly to damage something than open tow. If you really feel like you need a cover, shrink wrap it.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

This looks like the open rig Andy used. Uhaul Auto Transport Trailer.

For an empty D their specs say the total wt is just about 5K lb as you specify.
    Guessing a similar size enclosed trailer will exceed your 5K weight limit since an enclosure adds weight.

Pay attention to tongue weight, both the max limit for tow vehicle and for the hitch as well as hitting the min-max tongue wt range as a % of the towed load (incl trailer).

If you do a load balance plan remember the center of gravity of an empty D is only ~30in ahead of the center of rear axle. And the car needs to load all the way forward for their main strap system to work. See their video about loading in their link above Dimensions on that Uhaul page.

Good luck.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior