FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 107 of 188 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 105 106 107 108 109 117 157 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1872

Thread: Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by SIMid View Post
    A guy approached me while I was parked, getting out.

"Is that bare metal?"

"Yes it is."

"So that's what cars look like without paint?"

I kinda froze by his comment.

Well, it iswhat a DeLorean looks like without paint...lol

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    me and my girlfriend sitting outside with some friends.. my car is parked five feet from me right outfront of the place.. its a nice place we hang out all the time .. guy and his girlfriend maybe seventeen or so.. Him: what a pile of shit.. do you know they had to build them out of stainless steel because they are such piles of shit.. we were just sitting there thinking wow! people are kind of weird.... a little while later a guy about mid thirties i would say crosses the street with his little girl to look at my car.... keep in mind that my windows are rolled down because it was a very nice day out... Him: see honey you cant buy parts for those cars because they didnt really make them long.. his window is broken and he will never be able to fix it.. ME: what the hell are you talking about dude?? Him: is this your car?? Me" : yes... Him: your window is broken its missing a piece...Me: no its rolled down.. Him: no its broken.. Me: i get up to go show him and ask again what he is talking about and he just walks away.. go figure.. .lol.. sorry had to vent that.. some people have no clue.. for the most part though people there love the car!
    Quote Originally Posted by robvanderveer View Post
    This thread certainly doesn't help my opinion about the average intellect, common sense or decency of the average American citizen.
    Probably the top thing that pisses me off about people is if they don't listen to an owner who tries to explain something to them. Thankfully I've only encountered one such person.

I think I might have said something to this effect before, but people's general stupidity and ignorance jumps out at us on the subject of DeLoreans because it's a subject we're all pretty knowledgeable about. But just imagine how much wrong info is spread around about subjects where the listener also doesn't know better. Scary.
    Last edited by DL4567; 10-15-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

My VIN:    3695

Club(s):   (DCN)

Quote Originally Posted by DL4567 View Post
    Probably the top thing that pisses me off about people is if they don't listen to an owner who tries to explain something to them. Thankfully I've only encountered one such person.

I think I might have said something to this effect before, but people's general stupidity and ignorance jumps out at us on the subject of DeLoreans because it's a subject we're all pretty knowledgeable about. But just imagine how much wrong info is spread around about subjects where the listener also doesn't know better. Scary.
    Being unknowledgeable about DeLorean's (or any topic for that matter) doesn't make you rude, stupid or a smart ass! How hard is it to ask "I've heard these were made of aluminium, i'm sure you know more about it!" or even "Excuse me sir"

My VIN:    3937

^ This.

People don't like to be corrected or informed they are wrong. About anything.

How much wrong info is out there getting spread around to listeners who don't know any better?

Way too much. On just about every subject you can think of. Vaccines, nuclear power, climate change. We no longer listen to experts. Instead, we listen to our coffee shop friends, FB contacts, or ex-quarterbacks or ex-Playboy models. Anyone and everyone has become an expert on everything (and nothing).

And it's spiralling in the wrong direction.

http://thefederalist.com/2014/01/17/...-of-expertise/

My VIN:    3305

I like the "Google-fueled, Wikipedia-based, blog-sodden" expressions!

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by robvanderveer View Post
    This thread certainly doesn't help my opinion about the average intellect, common sense or decency of the average American citizen.
    Drive on any San Diego freeway or street and you'll lose any thread of that that might still remain. Stop lights don't exist to most people, turn signals are a thing of the past, no one knows how to use their mirrors when changing lanes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Drive on any San Diego freeway or street and you'll lose any thread of that that might still remain. Stop lights don't exist to most people, turn signals are a thing of the past, no one knows how to use their mirrors when changing lanes, etc.
    I have to admit that with today's experience, the Dutch citizen standards are also rapidly deteriorating. I am waiting to make a left turn on a small road. I had to wait for oncoming traffic to pass. I hesitated 0.0001msec because i couldn't get the car in gear and instantly the guy in the Audi behind me starts honking... While this has absolutely nothing to do with DeLoreans it is a perfect example of what i'm trying to say.

My VIN:    6585

Agreed. Totally and utterly agreed. Earlier this week on Jalopnik I made a post that referenced this, and subsequently got shit on by everyone. It's not nice to put down other people's hobbies and passions. Especially ones that involve cars given the time, energy, and money that we put into restoring and maintaining our cars. Everyone came out of the woodwork to put me down. Called me pussy that couldn't deal with a joke, even when I explained that I get flak from so many people with the jokes and criticism, and worse of all the know it alls. But still, it's my problem. I ask for other people to put themselves into mine, and other DeLorean owner's shoes to see how they'd like it if person after person came up to them and said nothing but negative things to them and put down their cars. The response was that they don't owe anyone respect, even within the same hobbies. It's their privilege to put others down.

Even when the entire conversation inevitably came around to the cocaine jokes, it was that they were justified because JZD went to jail. Then it becomes that he got off on a *technicality*. None of which is true. Ask people what it is, and they don't know, so you let them know that their ignorance is blindingly apparent. And if you actually bother to try and educate them (be it a friendly correction or a heated argument), they get pissed and walk away.

We live in a world now where no one knows how to deal with failure and being wrong. Is it the result of helicopter parents, participation awards, and a consumer-based economy where life's mantra is "The customer is always right, and I'm always the customer!"? Who knows. It absolutely wears on you though, having to deal with morons. Blithering idiots that for 30+ years have spread misinformation which has been willfully accepted not because of fact checking but because of the blissful confidence that only ignorance brings that these people spread their misinformation with.

Time though is luckily on outsides. Last week I was absolutely floored by my coworker. He's 8 years younger than me and found out that I own a DeLorean. So we spoke about the car, and he asked me what it was like to own one. So on the pros and cons of ownership, one of the cons was dumb people and having to put up with the jokes. He had no idea what I was talking about. He knew what a DMC-12 was, knew that the came from Northern Ireland, and knew that DMCH existed. But had never heard anything about the arrest and DEA. He thought that poor finances alone are will killed the company like Yugo or Daewoo. He honestly never knew anything about JZD. I was blown away by that.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    4534

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    He honestly never knew anything about JZD. I was blown away by that.
    It's sad but John DeLorean isn't a subject in school. The man is responsible for so many innovations that cars still use today, can be argued as responsible for the muscle car era, and started an automobile company from scratch. Yet he's probably going to be lost to history in a couple of generations. I once spoke to an older gentleman at a car show who owned a beautifully restored 66 GTO. He had no idea that DeLorean played a huge role in the creation of his car.

I would have found history class so much more interesting if cars, video games, and electronics were sprinkled in with the facts about forefathers and ancient peace treaties.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

You got a point there.

Page 107 of 188 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 105 106 107 108 109 117 157 ... LastLast