FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 148 of 188 FirstFirst ... 48 98 138 146 147 148 149 150 158 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,480 of 1872

Thread: Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny-T View Post
    I just had my first onslaught of comments after picking up my D from DMCNW on Wednesday morning. Driving it down from Seattle to Vegas I think we heard all the common stuff. It was kinda enjoyable at first becasue I was still in shock that I was actually driving a DeLorean... I actually own a Delorean!

But after the 1200 mile trip over 3 days, it started getting old hearing things every time we stopped. There was even one a-hole that wouldnt let me pass and I could see him filming me through his mirror doing about half the speed limit. Then all of the sudden, he tossed a bannana peel out his window back at me. The worst part of it was that I was having some trouble keeping the engine going at lower speeds so when I slowed down to gain some distance, I stalled out and had to sit on the side of the freeway for a bit until my engine would start again.

But overall my first experiences as a D owner have been positive. There were far more positive comments then bad. I had several younger children express their excitment. I even let one of the more awestruck kids sit in the driver seat for a photo op. After he got out he said "I want one of these one day!" I just looked at him and said, "You know, I was about your age when I told myself the same thing." His eyes lit up like I had just told him he could be anything he wants when he grows up.
    I totally agree with you, the good comments tend to far outnumber the bad. It's pretty cool when kids compliment and appreciate the car.

Congratulations on getting your dream! Welcome and best of luck with your new toy!
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

But after the 1200 mile trip over 3 days, it started getting old hearing things every time we stopped. There was even one a-hole that wouldnt let me pass and I could see him filming me through his mirror doing about half the speed limit. Then all of the sudden, he tossed a bannana peel out his window back at me. The worst part of it was that I was having some trouble keeping the engine going at lower speeds so when I slowed down to gain some distance, I stalled out and had to sit on the side of the freeway for a bit until my engine would start again.
    Hind site being 20/20, you should have pulled off at the nearest exit waited a minute then got back on the road. We've all had similar experiences at some point, but I've never heard one that bad.

I did have something similar a few weeks ago while traveling after DCS. I had a guy pass me on a double yellow haulin ass out a site. Ten minutes later I see him parked in his driveway taking a video of me as I drive by. Yeah I didn't wave, but it was tempting to wave with one finger after that pass in a no passing zone stunt .

Dennis
    Last edited by DMC5180; 08-15-2016 at 12:23 AM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    0967

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Hind site being 20/20, you should have pulled off at the nearest exit waited a minute then got back on the road. We've all had similar experiences at some point, but I've never heard one that bad.

I did have something similar a few weeks ago while traveling after DCS. I had a guy pass me on a double yellow haulin ass out a site. Ten minutes later I see him parked in his driveway taking a video of me as I drive by. Yeah I didn't wave, but it was tempting to wave with one finger after that pass in a no passing zone stunt .

Dennis
    I wanted to pull off but I knew if I slowed down much more, I was going to stall out. Thats why I was trying to pass him but he kept swinging over into the oncoming lane whenever I tried. Plus I was on 73 mile stretch of the 93 freeway with no exits. When I did stall out I had to use the gravel shoulder to sit in for awhile. Part of me thinks its a little funny only because I can only imagine what he thought as he tosses the peel and then sees me quickly pull off the road. I kinda wish I could see the video he took of the event... haha.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

You shouldn't have stalled out. Is it an Auto or 5 speed? This car came from DMCNW?

Dennis
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    3937

The encounters I find the hardest to deal with are the ones when you're out on a "shake down drive" or trying to figure out some issue on the car and all you want is some stretch of road to yourself to listen, drive slow, drive fast, whatever. You feel like hanging a sign out the window saying "dude, now's not really a good time!"

Congrats on getting your car, btw! As Dennis said, your car shouldn't be stalling out. Maybe start a new thread and we'll try to help you figure out what the problem is.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    0967

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    You shouldn't have stalled out. Is it an Auto or 5 speed? This car came from DMCNW?

Dennis
    It's an automatic and was pucrchased on consignment from the original owner through DMCNW.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The encounters I find the hardest to deal with are the ones when you're out on a "shake down drive" or trying to figure out some issue on the car and all you want is some stretch of road to yourself to listen, drive slow, drive fast, whatever. You feel like hanging a sign out the window saying "dude, now's not really a good time!"

Congrats on getting your car, btw! As Dennis said, your car shouldn't be stalling out. Maybe start a new thread and we'll try to help you figure out what the problem is.
    I definitely consider my trip home to have been a "shake down". I had never even sat in a D before or driven such a long disatance in any car. Both the car and I had to get to know each other.

I think it was just a cooling issue while the car was getting used to my driving it so hard. It was a one owner car and only had 29k miles put on it in its 35 years. On top of that, the car has always been up in the Seattle area. Once I hit the 115 degree heat after driving it for hours it started to feel as if it was shifting every few seconds (Its an automatic). Then it would lose power and stall when it got below 25 mph and it just wouldnt restart. Everytime it would happen I would just pull off and let it cool for a bit and it would start up fine after a rest. Im sure I put more miles on it in my 3 day trip home than the original owner did in the last 3 years. Not to mention I was running it harder and longer than it probaly ever has. But now that its home and not needing to run like that its doing briliantly so far. Thanks for the advice tho. I will definitly start a new thread if I encounter any more issues.

Back to the original topic, a sign would come in very handy indeed. In fact, Ive been trying to find a place that can make me a custom sunshade that will have the "answers to your questions..." printed on it. lol

My VIN:    3937

It's an automatic and was pucrchased on consignment from the original owner through DMCNW.

I definitely consider my trip home to have been a "shake down". I had never even sat in a D before or driven such a long disatance in any car. Both the car and I had to get to know each other.

I think it was just a cooling issue while the car was getting used to my driving it so hard. It was a one owner car and only had 29k miles put on it in its 35 years. On top of that, the car has always been up in the Seattle area. Once I hit the 115 degree heat after driving it for hours it started to feel as if it was shifting every few seconds (Its an automatic). Then it would lose power and stall when it got below 25 mph and it just wouldnt restart. Everytime it would happen I would just pull off and let it cool for a bit and it would start up fine after a rest. Im sure I put more miles on it in my 3 day trip home than the original owner did in the last 3 years. Not to mention I was running it harder and longer than it probaly ever has. But now that its home and not needing to run like that its doing briliantly so far. Thanks for the advice tho. I will definitly start a new thread if I encounter any more issues.

Back to the original topic, a sign would come in very handy indeed. In fact, Ive been trying to find a place that can make me a custom sunshade that will have the "answers to your questions..." printed on it. lol
    I would suggest a new thread for issues on the car.

The shifting every few seconds you saw in the 115 degree heat could be a problematic shift computer needing attention. Lots of things to do to confirm or gain additional information (check fluid levels, check wiring of computer governor for damage, check fuse/relay area behind passenger seat).

Losing power and stalling also isn't normal. That could be a few different things too, like fuel pump struggling with warm fuel or a pinched pick-up hose, an idle set incorrectly or idle microswitch not engaging, could be something to do with your cooling fans and an electrical overload too.

Glad to hear you got it home. Congrats again.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I would suggest a new thread for issues on the car.

The shifting every few seconds you saw in the 115 degree heat could be a problematic shift computer needing attention. Lots of things to do to confirm or gain additional information (check fluid levels, check wiring of computer governor for damage, check fuse/relay area behind passenger seat).

Losing power and stalling also isn't normal. That could be a few different things too, like fuel pump struggling with warm fuel or a pinched pick-up hose, an idle set incorrectly or idle microswitch not engaging, could be something to do with your cooling fans and an electrical overload too.

Glad to hear you got it home. Congrats again.
    Well you made it home in your dream car and she has a few things to sort out but that's what the forum is for

The Renault Type 4141 automatic is very finicky about fluid level, too little and all kinds of weird behavior can happen, too much and it leaks like a sieve. It used Dexron II fluid same as GM autos from the early 80s, available from any parts store. The fluid should be red. Black or brown and or a burned smell is a bad sign. Easy place to start.

For quite a few years the filter for the auto was unavailable so many cars are probably still running with the filter they left the factory with. A fellow owner commissioned a batch of new filters which can be bought from DMC or his ebay auction, http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-Aut...9WDwAf&vxp=mtr

I think Jonathan and I tell every auto D owner their governor computer needs or will need attention. Over the years the capacitors and soldering on the circuit boards have proven failure prone. If you are handy with a soldering iron and have an understanding of electronics it can be self repaired. Otherwise spending the $350 or so to have it professionally rebuilt by a DeLorean vendor is the way to go. The unit has to be removed and intact (it looks like this http://store.delorean.com/p-8909-aut...-computer.aspx) to be rebuilt.

As Jonathan said stalling and power loss are not normal and will require some diagnostic work to find out the cause(s)
    Last edited by AugustneverEnds; 08-16-2016 at 08:31 AM.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Has anyone said "Check your grounds" yet?

Actually, I was thinking of putting together a "FAQ sheet" for DeLorean owners to hand out at car shows... a bit tongue-in-cheek... maybe I'll get around to it and post it in the "Resources" section. :P
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    he funny square drain plug tool
    lol just picked one up today

A few months back I did have a guy filming me on the interstate, but my lane was ending and he was blocking me. I dont think he did it on purpose. I just kept thinking "i know you're excited, but let me over!"

Page 148 of 188 FirstFirst ... 48 98 138 146 147 148 149 150 158 ... LastLast