FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 182 of 188 FirstFirst ... 82 132 172 180 181 182 183 184 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 1872

Thread: Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

My VIN:    3937

Was there a reality TV show or documentary earlier this year that made a big fuss about the doors getting stuck closed?

I have people asking me about the doors getting stuck. Like at almost every show and it's strange because no one ever used to ask such a thing. I figure it's because it got played up on some show or clip and so that's what people think now... that the biggest problem on the car was the doors getting stuck.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Was there a reality TV show or documentary earlier this year that made a big fuss about the doors getting stuck closed?

I have people asking me about the doors getting stuck. Like at almost every show and it's strange because no one ever used to ask such a thing. I figure it's because it got played up on some show or clip and so that's what people think now... that the biggest problem on the car was the doors getting stuck.
    People latch (no pun intended, really), onto things they heard or think they heard without further research. People enjoy drama. I don't recall any specific mention of the doors, but I follow the news pretty close on articles about the car, and the one that comes up most often is that the car is heavy.
    (of course, it's not, compared to other cars of the era - certain misprints notwithstanding). People usually remember problems and not later fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post

I think some people like to point out bad things about the car because they are envious. One time I was talking to a guy about the car. I told him I had a lot of issues with the fuel system and the electrical system when I fist got the car. He makes the statement “They all have those problems”. After talking to him some more, I can tell he doesn’t know sh*t about the car and mine is the first one he’s ever seen. He goes on to tell me it’s a PITA when the clear coat starts to peal off the stainless.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I think some people like to point out bad things about the car because they are envious. One time I was talking to a guy about the car. I told him I had a lot of issues with the fuel system and the electrical system when I fist got the car. He makes the statement “They all have those problems”. After talking to him some more, I can tell he doesn’t know sh*t about the car and mine is the first one he’s ever seen. He goes on to tell me it’s a PITA when the clear coat starts to peal off the stainless.
    This. Many people see a DeLorean(or any car they would love to own but perceive as being out of their grasp) and immediately deal with their own envy and jealousy by degrading the car or the owner(or both). Whatever insult they deal will be both demoralizing to the object they desire and self serving. As in "I would never own a car with such an evil history". Or "I don't want to deal with the constant headaches of owning a piece of shit".

These kind of people are easy to type:
    garylarson.jpg
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Funny exchange today at the gas station.

First a girl says “That’s the first car I’ve ever seen that you open the hood to pump gas.” She was if front of me, so she couldn’t see. I said “technically it’s the trunk because the engine is in the rear, but I know what you mean.” So she goes on to ask some more questions. She obviously liked the car, but what was really refreshing is it became obvious that she didn’t recognize the car from the movie. Even when I told her it was a Delorean, she repeated it like she was trying to remember it. She was about 35 maybe.

So after she finished pumping her gas, she went inside to get her change. This loudmouth guy comes up and starts remarking on the car. Well she comes back out and stands there looking and asks a couple other questions. The guy realizes she doesn’t know what it is and starts giving her a class. First he says “This is the exact car from BTTF.” Then he says “The big three auto makers put Delorean out of business because they didn’t like him making a car for $3500.” He went on to say “They only made these for a few years in the late 80’s”. Finally, he says “The doors go up and forward as they open”.

So how should I have handled that?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

First he says “This is the exact car from BTTF.” Then he says “The big three auto makers put Delorean out of business because they didn’t like him making a car for $3500.” He went on to say “They only made these for a few years in the late 80’s”. Finally, he says “The doors go up and forward as they open”.

http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

You will eventually stop caring about those clowns as it makes no difference what you tell them. They are self-proclaimed masters of the cars.

The first car show this year, a guy made a statement to his wife, girlfriend, daughter, whoever about it having a 351 Cleveland in it despite them standing at the back of the car looking at the engine. Sure it is pal. That laminated window sticker back there absolutely says it is a 351 Cleveland.

It's not worth my time to get out of my chair and correct them as 88.121% of the time they will correct YOU... the owner.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

Quote Originally Posted by JBaker4981 View Post
    You will eventually stop caring about those clowns as it makes no difference what you tell them. They are self-proclaimed masters of the cars.

The first car show this year, a guy made a statement to his wife, girlfriend, daughter, whoever about it having a 351 Cleveland in it despite them standing at the back of the car looking at the engine. Sure it is pal. That laminated window sticker back there absolutely says it is a 351 Cleveland.

It's not worth my time to get out of my chair and correct them as 88.121% of the time they will correct YOU... the owner.
    ThatÂ’s a good one. So I know Panatarra had ClevelandÂ’s in them. What did Bricklin have? I was thinking it was a Ford, but my brain is a bit foggy. I suppose he was confusing it with one of them.

In the case of my guy, The girl had already asked what year it was before he came up and proclaimed they were only made in the late eighties. So she might have got the hint he was in left field. But that was probably the least of his mistakes.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

ThatÂ’s a good one. So I know Panatarra had ClevelandÂ’s in them. What did Bricklin have?
    Pantera's had 302s and 351s (Cleveland and Windsor).
    Bricklins had a 360 AMC, until they switched to 351 Windsors in 1975.

So I’m pumping gas again and this woman pulls up yells out her window “is that from BTTF”? I reply “Yes Ma’am”. Then she asks “what year”? I’m not exactly sure if she means year of the car or year of the future, but decided to be nice and say 81’. Then she says “that car holds a special place in my heart because that’s the year my son was born”. Now I hate to be cynical, but does that mean every car built in 81 holds a special place in her heart? I just smiled.

Page 182 of 188 FirstFirst ... 82 132 172 180 181 182 183 184 ... LastLast