FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 52 of 188 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    What is probably happening is people are hearing about DMCH's cars and how they "tear down and piece together" a brand new DeLorean and translate that as "kit car."
    In my experience, it's been that most people who ask those kinds of questions simply didn't know the DeLorean was a real car.
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I wonder how much entertainment you could garner by telling them about how difficult the sheets of stainless (that came with the 'kit') were to shape - "took me 6 months just to do the fenders"
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

I got my first "is that a kit car?" comment yesterday by 3 policeman that stopped me going through an NYC toll booth to take pictures. They said the exact same thing, "I didn't realize it was a real car". They were cool though and learned something new.
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My VIN:    7075

I never had kit-car comments. Lots of flux capacitor and aluminium, but no kit-car.
    People are different here.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Speaking of Kit car comments...had a guy ask me at an auto parts store once(he was with a small group so he wanted to look smart) "Hey is that a Chevy or Ford chassis"? I was confused as I didn't put it together at first and I replied it's a DeLorean. He asked again, Chevy or Ford so I just said "Lotus" and left him even more puzzled.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    3045

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Could you technically build a "kit car" DeLorean if you bought each individual part from DMCH, assembled it and (not having a VIN) take it to your local DMV and register it as a kit car?
    Does it have a flux capacitor?
    Does it run on 1.21 Giggawatts?
    Have you been chased by terrorist?

No but I have been chased by ladies because it’s a chick magnet!

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

I had my first kit car comment today.
    Stopped to fill the tank, get some beer and ended up outside chatting with a very nice Knowledgeable car enthusiast.
    Another guy walks by, looks and asks, "Is that a Real one or the kit version?" I replied that it's indeed Real, and that I'd never heard of a kit version of one Ever being offered.
    He proceeds to tell me a story about a kit DeLorean that he saw back in the early 80's that had a Volkswagen engine and was a piece of Crap, (as far as he was concerned). ???
    Long story short, He took another look at my grill (and a Peek inside), and say's, "OK, I believe yours is a Real one, not the kit." Then left.
    Knowledgeable car guy just Shakes his head, and we go back to talking.

I've only had mine a week now but, What did I just get myself into???

George

BTW, I Love my new car!
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    .....and say's, "OK, I believe yours is a Real one, not the kit."
    The appropriate response to that is "Imagine my relief"
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    I had my first kit car comment today.
    Stopped to fill the tank, get some beer and ended up outside chatting with a very nice Knowledgeable car enthusiast.
    Another guy walks by, looks and asks, "Is that a Real one or the kit version?" I replied that it's indeed Real, and that I'd never heard of a kit version of one Ever being offered.
    He proceeds to tell me a story about a kit DeLorean that he saw back in the early 80's that had a Volkswagen engine and was a piece of Crap, (as far as he was concerned). ???
    Long story short, He took another look at my grill (and a Peek inside), and say's, "OK, I believe yours is a Real one, not the kit." Then left.
    Knowledgeable car guy just Shakes his head, and we go back to talking.

I've only had mine a week now but, What did I just get myself into???

George

BTW, I Love my new car!
    Deloreans seem to bring out the craziest people sometimes. I have had people say "yours must be of one of the few left, because most of the were destroyed in BTTF". I have heard the "kit car" comments a few times. People just don't pay attention to cars much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhsxo View Post
    Could you technically build a "kit car" DeLorean if you bought each individual part from DMCH, assembled it and (not having a VIN) take it to your local DMV and register it as a kit car?
    The problem with that is that DMCH doesn't have every part. LFF's, brake calipers, frames, and a bunch of others I'm sure I'm missing. No vendor does; the "missing" parts only come from parted-out D's or for some (such as brake calipers), from completely different kinds of cars.

That being said, if you sourced all the missing parts yourself, then I suppose you could, but... why?

Page 52 of 188 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 ... LastLast