FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 61 of 188 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 161 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

My VIN:    07000

Right- it was a comment more or less on the post from before about the flying Delorean comment from his daughter.
    SOOOO....
    I followed by saying we're working on a design for an actual flying Delorean. And $100,000 is about the target we need to build it, test it, R&D, modeling, etc. A prototype always costs way more than the actual production product...if we can ever get there.

And no, really can't divulge but it's based on some common tech we have now as well as basic knowledge of aeronautics and airflow...

Sorry to keep this in the stupid comments section.

And to bring this back on topic..

Though I don't have my D yet, I did get a chance to finally sit in one to see if i still fit (6'7"..), thanks to YellowMXwheels kindness and generosity.
    As he was waiting for me to show up by the local movie theater where we both live in proximity of, a guy walked by and asked "Is that the car from Back to the Future?", and ymxw replied "It's like that"..or something...
    The reply back was something like "Well, that's a really nice kit."

If I remember correctly- I did tell ymxw that he should tell guys like that that it's on a Fiero chassis...

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Though I don't have my D yet, I did get a chance to finally sit in one to see if i still fit (6'7"..), thanks to YellowMXwheels kindness and generosity.
    So, Did you fit in it OK?

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Unfortunately yes- it was probably the most comfortable car I've ever sat in... even with the door closed and it's a stick.
    There were a couple times I tried one out in the past - when I was first dating my wife and test drove a stick, and I was 6'5" or so.. it was a stick, though I had a problem with the clutch placement, and they wanted a lot plus the AC didn't work (around 1986).
    Then I took an auto for a spin a year later- it was really worn out inside - leather was all worn out, brake pedal was worn out (bad sign being the owner kept his foot on the brake a LOT), and when driving it a bunch of steam came out of the engine bay behind the window- bad hose. He wouldn't take less than what he wanted though the car was beat and not well maintained ($13k or so is what he wanted)..
    So I figured I wouldn't fit - and secretly hoping I would as well as wouldn't..but I do.. now I HAVE to have one.

Then I took an auto for a spin a year later [..] brake pedal was worn out (bad sign being the owner kept his foot on the brake a LOT)
    Or that he drives with two feet like I do: one foot on the gas, one on the brake. I've been spared from a few head-on collisions with deer using that approach that otherwise would have totaled my daily driver.

Yeah- not a lot of deer in Point Loma.... He was a very large (not tall large) Greek fellow- door panel was worn side bolsters worn and cracked, seats in bad shape.
    What's odd is I have a 13 year old new beetle with black leather interior and the car's parked outside all day in the sun, yet the seats look as good as the day it came off the lot.

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Yeah- not a lot of deer in Point Loma.... He was a very large (not tall large) Greek fellow- door panel was worn side bolsters worn and cracked, seats in bad shape.
    What's odd is I have a 13 year old new beetle with black leather interior and the car's parked outside all day in the sun, yet the seats look as good as the day it came off the lot.
    I heard the leather in the DeLorean was furniture-grade leather by Bridge of Weir. Very high quality, but not durable enough for automotive use, hence the wear and shrinkage of the leather in pretty much every D out there.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

I have a Torque Wrench... tyb323's Avatar

My VIN:    2399

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante88 View Post
    I heard the leather in the DeLorean was furniture-grade leather by Bridge of Weir. Very high quality, but not durable enough for automotive use, hence the wear and shrinkage of the leather in pretty much every D out there.
    Rolls Royce has and still does use Bridge of Weir, and Aston Martin has used them as a supplier in the past, so it's fine for auto use. Most leather simply won't last 30+ years with frequent sunlight exposure
    Tyler Butler
    Vin 2399 - July 81 Black Interior, Automatic

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by tyb323 View Post
    Rolls Royce has and still does use Bridge of Weir, and Aston Martin has used them as a supplier in the past, so it's fine for auto use. Most leather simply won't last 30+ years with frequent sunlight exposure
    I know, but from what I read (can't remember where) the particular product DeLorean selected was from their furniture line-up. But then again, with frequent treatment and minimal sunlight exposure, most any leather, including what's in the D, should retain it's natural form for 30+ years.
    Anyway, we're moving towards so back to the stupid DeLorean comments!
    Last edited by pezzonovante88; 12-29-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

First stupid comment for 2013, and it's almost May?! Come on guys... I know there's more of you driving your cars regularly now.

Washed my DeLorean for the first time at my new house. I liked that the garage at my old house was in the back, so I could work on my cars in peace. Now my driveway and garage are right up front and I can't escape the looks. A guy in a truck pulls up while I'm treating the interior leather and asks, "Does it run?" I thought that was kind of a stupid question seeing as how I was obviously taking very good care of it. Why would I care how it looked if I couldn't even drive it? Anyways, I just said, "Nope. I pushed it to my house."

He actually thought that was pretty funny. He was pretty cool after that and asked if I ever take it to car shows, to which I replied that I do when I don't have anything better to do

Now those aren't terribly stupid comments, but I sure miss reading about all those that happen and wanted to revive this thread.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

Page 61 of 188 FirstFirst ... 11 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 111 161 ... LastLast