FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 62 of 188 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 112 162 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I had one yesterday at a parade. A woman comes up to us as we are walking by (she walked right into the parade line, which is stupid right there!) and asks "are these cars solar?"

Now, she was pretty old. And to be fair a bunch of alternative energy vehicles had gone by a few groups ahead of us. So I can't fault her for just not knowing what she was looking at, but in the context of our thread here it was pretty dumb Also, the sound of 5 idling DeLoreans isn't exactly easy to miss.

However, maybe we should feel flattered that the cars look futuristic enough to garner such a question?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

The same old lady asked me if my car was electric, unsatisfied she must have waited for your car to roll up 15 seconds later ask about its solar capacity. WTF?

My stupidest comment in the Parade was: "Hey its the Knight Rider car!!!'

I actually had one about a week ago. I was at home, watching the local news, and they announced that the FBI took a U-Haul to the Pilot Flying J and had gone inside to get evidence and whatnot. This made our news here in Cleveland since the head of it, Jimmy Haslam, is the owner of the Cleveland Browns. My Mom, my own mother, said "Oh my gosh, it's just like the DeLorean crack scandal!" Rather shocked that she would have the balls to say that right in front of me, I said "You do realize he was acquitted, right?" She said "Yeah, but everyone knows he did it. Just like Michael Jackson!" I shot back "He was acquitted too!" Then she said "Well, yeah, but there was all that evidence against him!" I shot back again and said "There wasn't any evidence against him except for some kids saying it happened." Then she tells me "Quite often that's all they have, is the kids testimony saying it happened." I gave up arguing at this point I have no idea when the concept of physical evidence or the justice system left her mind, but that was ridiculous.

Unbelievable. Whatever happened to good manners and family?

Volvo mechanic level 3

My VIN:    No Delorean yet :(

This post is awsome been reaing it form start to finish now

I can only imagien how anoying these coments are.

Althoug I knd of know how you feal, a few years ago entering a track day for fords, I almost didn't get inn because the woman at the gate didn't think my car was a ford had to get the regestration card out, even thoug there is a ford badge on the front, the back and my stearing wheel

Some people

My wife keeps referi g to the DeLorean as an old piece of crap car. It anoys me :/

Wonder howpeopleaound here wil react when I get one aparently there are 2 in my local aerea already
    Curent car : 1998 Ford Racing Puma replica, nr 138/500. 2004 land rover freelancer TD4

My VIN:    3937

At some point this winter, I was telling a friend about a couple of the projects I was working on for the car. Stereo and speaker upgrade, new console bracket, etc.

I have had the car since 2007.

He asked me, "man, aren't you done that thing yet?"

I don't know if I considered it to be more of a stupid question for not knowing that DeLoreans are never "done", or more of whether I am the stupid one for buying a car that will never actually be done.

I think I just walked away with a puzzled look on my face, and then went and hit my head against the wall a few times

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    4534

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    He asked me, "man, aren't you done that thing yet?"
    Sounds like he's never had a project car. No matter what it is they are never done. You build them up and drive them back down.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

It's so true. People that dont work on cars as projects, just dont understand how or why they're never finished. My family and some friends still constantly says things like "you're still working on it?" "What could you possibly have left to do on it?" They just dont understand. I try to tell them that I will never be done with it, and that's how I like it. There will always be something I want to improve, fix, change, etc.

To me, when there's nothing left to do, there's no more fun to be had. The constant work is what strengthen's the relationship with the car. Once that's gone, all that's left is to drive it. Yea, it's great to drive, but some of the appreciation is lost.

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    It's so true. People that dont work on cars as projects, just dont understand how or why they're never finished. My family and some friends still constantly says things like "you're still working on it?" "What could you possibly have left to do on it?" They just dont understand. I try to tell them that I will never be done with it, and that's how I like it. There will always be something I want to improve, fix, change, etc.

To me, when there's nothing left to do, there's no more fun to be had. The constant work is what strengthen's the relationship with the car. Once that's gone, all that's left is to drive it. Yea, it's great to drive, but some of the appreciation is lost.
    Well said.

Just sometimes it's not fun - like taking my intake back off on Wednesday to find out which clamp loosened to explain why I have coolant in my VOD ....
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    SGEDT26T4DD020083

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I had one yesterday at a parade. A woman comes up to us as we are walking by (she walked right into the parade line, which is stupid right there!) and asks "are these cars solar?"

Now, she was pretty old. And to be fair a bunch of alternative energy vehicles had gone by a few groups ahead of us. So I can't fault her for just not knowing what she was looking at, but in the context of our thread here it was pretty dumb Also, the sound of 5 idling DeLoreans isn't exactly easy to miss.

However, maybe we should feel flattered that the cars look futuristic enough to garner such a question?
    You should have replied "Lady, Your Blocking the Sun!!! Can you move your Fat azz so I can Drive now!"

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    Sounds like he's never had a project car. No matter what it is they are never done. You build them up and drive them back down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Yep. That's right.

Just recently I was telling someone the history of my car since I've had it. Much of which would be similar to other owners perhaps.

Finally arrive at the day where you bought your first D. More months go by because it didn't go quite as planned. Car gets delivered only to find out it wasn't exactly in the condition you thought it was (nor paid for it to be in). It sits at the shop in town as your mechanic's project and represents a growing hole in your wallet. You get it back to then work on various things that still didn't get addressed. A few seasons go by, your nerves are shot, but your car is in decent driving condition. Decent for 32 years old though, so new noises and rattles are alarming and might mean you're towing it home. Some days you don't mind the 15 minute stops at gas stations, other days the person tailgating you trying to get that cool FB picture gets to be too much. Maybe you look out in the garage in the winter and wish you could drive it, or maybe you look at it in July and figure it might be better to just leave it there and go for a walk instead.

Driving it is fun, at times, when it is working, or at least most of it is knowing you don't really need a functional speedo. Most of the time though I think I sort of enjoy owning the car, but not driving it. Tinkering with it, doing projects on it, learning about it and sharing that with others here on the forum or at local club events. Seeing the smiles of some of the people at car shows or chatting about it with coworkers at the coffee machine. I'm not aware of how you can only get the stuff you like by owning one of these cars, and somehow avoiding the stuff you don't. Overall it seems okay, but definitely not all of the individual aspects. I'd imagine this sort of thing contributes to why even in 6 years for me owning this car, I can think of quite a few names that came in very excited about their D ownership, yet now no longer own their cars.

The best way I heard it put, like you know, was "DeLoreans are like frying bacon in the nude... you gotta really love BLTs."

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 62 of 188 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 112 162 ... LastLast