FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 67 of 188 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 167 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

My VIN:    4494

Club(s):  

Took 4494 to her first car show since I imported her into the UK. Mostly it was all really good, lots of positive attention. One chap stood out though;

Random Guy - My Dad used to have one of these, but without the back to the future doors.

Me - Sorry, you've lost me?

Random Guy - He had the normal doors that don't open up. He was too cheap to get the model with the wing-up-doors.

Me - Oh, I see. I take it he got the version without the stainless steel paneling too?

Random Guy - Yeah! How did you guess?

Me - Just a hunch...

I like to think his Dad had a Lotus Esprit and he was just confused, but it still made me chuckle.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by jwrayth View Post
    Took 4494 to her first car show since I imported her into the UK. Mostly it was all really good, lots of positive attention. One chap stood out though;

Random Guy - My Dad used to have one of these, but without the back to the future doors.

Me - Sorry, you've lost me?

Random Guy - He had the normal doors that don't open up. He was too cheap to get the model with the wing-up-doors.

Me - Oh, I see. I take it he got the version without the stainless steel paneling too?

Random Guy - Yeah! How did you guess?

Me - Just a hunch...

I like to think his Dad had a Lotus Esprit and he was just confused, but it still made me chuckle.
    That vin sounds very familiar. I think I have seen and driven that car. If that's the one I'm thinking of it belonged to a guy named Brian in Knoxville, who sold it to someone in soCal. It's a nice car!
    Last edited by Michael; 05-10-2013 at 07:39 AM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    4494

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    That vin sounds very familiar. I think I have seen and driven that car. If that's the one I'm thinking of it belonged to a guy named Brian in Knoxville, who sold it to someone in soCal. It's a nice car!
    That history is spot-on! I bought off the previous owner in SoCal, and got her on the road in the UK in March. I'm looking forward to a long summer of driving her and sorting out the few minor issues

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I had to call up progressive today because I wanted a quote on how much insurance will run me whenever I get a D of my own.

Guy: What kind of car are you looking to insure?

Me: 1981 DeLorean DMC-12

Guy: Are you going back to the future?

Later on..

Me: Not too bad, the price is about the same as what I'm paying now for full coverage, just a little more.

Guy: But time travel is priceless.

I don't even own one yet and already the jokes start..lol

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

If you get one, you'll need a new agent. Imagine trying to make a claim when the dude on the other end is all like "DUDE! Just go back to before you had the accident! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!" That shit gets old faster than you can say "flux off."
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Legion View Post
    I had to call up progressive today because I wanted a quote on how much insurance will run me whenever I get a D of my own.

Guy: What kind of car are you looking to insure?

Me: 1981 DeLorean DMC-12

Guy: Are you going back to the future?

Later on..

Me: Not too bad, the price is about the same as what I'm paying now for full coverage, just a little more.

Guy: But time travel is priceless.

I don't even own one yet and already the jokes start..lol
    Get used to the stupid BTTF jokes if you plan on getting a DeLorean. Shit does it ever get old.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by pezzonovante88 View Post
    Get used to the stupid BTTF jokes if you plan on getting a DeLorean. Shit does it ever get old.
    I honestly didn't think I would get one over the phone getting a quote, but I was really wrong..lol At least this thread prepared me for hearing them in general. Even with the stupid jokes, still worth having the car.

I got back from Florida a few days ago. While I was there, some family I've only met once before stayed in our hotel room. I tell my uncle that I've got a DeLorean, and show him some pictures I've taken of it, and I've got my worst comments yet. First he tells me it has aluminum body panels, and asked me how I cleaned it. I told him Windex works, and I kid you not, he said it made sense and actually likened it to "cleaning a stainless steel cooking range!" I honestly didn't know how to respond, but then he told me they have every single part ever produced for the DeLorean and you can actually build a DeLorean purely from the parts.

I gathered my bearings and told him that things like the left front fenders and brake calipers are no longer available unless you get them from a parts car, and he tells me that when the factory closed, there were not one, not two, not three, but a hundred and thirty four unfinished chassis that they assembled from the remaining parts. There were less than 10 at KAPAC, and most definitely far less than 134 unfinished chassis on the assembly line when the factory closed. Where he got this number from is beyond me, but I was horrified at how wildly inaccurate it was. How do you tell your own uncle that he's more inaccurate than the National Enquirer?!

Then I mentioned getting a cat-delete exhaust, and he told me the muffler needs to be redesigned when you remove the cat to account for the backpressure that engines need. I have no idea if this part was accurate or not, but considering how wildly inaccurate the rest was, I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Of course, my Mom is always insisting there are "only three guys who work on DeLoreans". There's three franchises, with nine total locations (1 DPI, 2 PJ Grady, 6 DMC). She of course only lists the main locations: Tallmadge, OH (DPI), Long Island, NY (PJ Grady), and Houston, TX (DMCH). The worst part is a week ago today (the day before we left for Florida), we got an invitation in the mail for DMCMW's Open House... in Chicago... which she always fails to mention

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Technically DPI and Grady aren't "franchises" - they are independent operations.

And I think you may be confusing brake calipers with rear wheel hubs. Calipers are cross referenced to some Jag or other.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Technically DPI and Grady aren't "franchises" - they are independent operations.
    PJ Grady has a branch in the UK, so I was under the impression it was a franchise. DPI I just put under the same label as PJ Grady and DMC for simplicity's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    And I think you may be confusing brake calipers with rear wheel hubs. Calipers are cross referenced to some Jag or other.
    Nope, I meant brake calipers. They're not producing them any more if I recall correctly, so you still have to get it from a parts car. Except, a Jag parts car, not necessarily a DeLorean parts car

Page 67 of 188 FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 167 ... LastLast