FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 69 of 188 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 169 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

My VIN:    3937

One way of looking at it might be if you were talking to an owner of a different car, one that is readily identifiable, but you don't really know that much about it. Mentioning a detail on the car or history you thought was accurate, might be way off in that person's eyes.

I know very little about the General Lee for example. I could mention something about 69 Chargers or they used about 300 of these in the filming, and to some that would be close enough, and to others it would be way off because of some sort of detail. Same might be true if I saw an A-Team van, or Ecto-1, or KITT car, etc.

I'd say most people are just genuinely trying to chat and kind of be excited with you about your car. Most people aren't going to be super educated on our cars, or much else in life generally. What is a passion for some is just a headline for others.

Now, the guys that come up and try to shine you up on their misinformation telling their friends about how heavy your car is, or the aluminum panels, or the coke jokes or whatever, that's different. The cocky a-hole type is usually easy to tell apart from the rest. Not always, but most of the time.

The coke jokes alone tend to tell me the guy is a knob, as most people I know wouldn't spout that sort of thing off unless they were trying to be a bit of a dick. To me, someone thinking it has a Ford V8 in it is a different type of comment than someone that jabs you with a JZD coke comment. That's pretty much the differentiator for me.

None of it really matters though. Cause as soon as you turn away from the coke joke guy, there's someone else with a big grin that you can try again with. Now, stuck in a hotel room with your family, that might be trickier

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    1019

I was stopped at a red light and a motorist next lane to my left rolls down his window and I open the door, he says "Are those suicide doors?" I say Gull wing doors, and closed the door as soon as the light turned green.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The coke jokes alone tend to tell me the guy is a knob, as most people I know wouldn't spout that sort of thing off unless they were trying to be a bit of a dick. To me, someone thinking it has a Ford V8 in it is a different type of comment than someone that jabs you with a JZD coke comment. That's pretty much the differentiator for me.

None of it really matters though. Cause as soon as you turn away from the coke joke guy, there's someone else with a big grin that you can try again with. Now, stuck in a hotel room with your family, that might be trickier
    It caught me totally off-guard. So far my family's only been asking me about things, or posing information in the form of a question (as in "does it have a volvo engine?"). His intentions were good and well-mannered, that part I get, but the misinformation as fact took me by surprise. It did transition directly into a fun discussion about Mini Coopers though.

I will say that my next-door neighbor said that my DeLorean "was made before they started putting cocaine in the gas tanks" (I posted about it earlier in this thread), so I've gotten the crack joke already. He's a bit "edgy" and quite blunt about the things he doesn't like, so it's not surprising he said that. The next time I have a spectator give me some crack reference, I'm going to be witty for once. Just you wait

Quote Originally Posted by MTDMC View Post
    I was stopped at a red light and a motorist next lane to my left rolls down his window and I open the door, he says "Are those suicide doors?" I say Gull wing doors, and closed the door as soon as the light turned green.
    I've got a feeling he may have meant some obscure reference to their functionality in the event of a rollover, but it's weird how he evidently had the question before you even opened the doors, and still asked once you did

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    One way of looking at it might be if you were talking to an owner of a different car, one that is readily identifiable, but you don't really know that much about it. Mentioning a detail on the car or history you thought was accurate, might be way off in that person's eyes.

I know very little about the General Lee for example. I could mention something about 69 Chargers or they used about 300 of these in the filming, and to some that would be close enough, and to others it would be way off because of some sort of detail. Same might be true if I saw an A-Team van, or Ecto-1, or KITT car, etc.

I'd say most people are just genuinely trying to chat and kind of be excited with you about your car. Most people aren't going to be super educated on our cars, or much else in life generally. What is a passion for some is just a headline for others.

Now, the guys that come up and try to shine you up on their misinformation telling their friends about how heavy your car is, or the aluminum panels, or the coke jokes or whatever, that's different. The cocky a-hole type is usually easy to tell apart from the rest. Not always, but most of the time.

I tend to agree with pretty much everything you're saying... most people who will actually make a comment are excited to see the car and don't necessarily know the best way to express it, so they'll regurgitate the few things they've read or seen on TV about the car recently. Most are trying to be polite and positive so I always try to be as polite and positive with my response.

The guys that make coke jokes or are dicks in general are not even worth responding to. Silence seems to baffle them most and their shit eating grin turns to confusion pretty quickly when you start a conversation with someone else or completely walk away. The reaction from you is what their after so not giving them one is what burns them the most.

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

I've been having a tough time with things lately (work,home,etc.) And try to be as polite as possible with most people but I usually keep it brief unless it's a wide eyed young kid or something. I have a real soft spot for kids.

Having said that. I'm on my way to work last week about 3am and that's prime time for a lot of guys getting out of a bar or club or something. A car full of guys pull up next to me and I'm minding my own business when the driver starts yelling a question out the window. I couldn't hear it so I put the window down and he says "What year is this?" I was still half asleep so I just nodded and replied. "that's original." A little annoyed he started with "where's Doc?" And a few other off the cuff BTTF comments. Paying them no mind a guy from the back seat yelled out "I hear that things a real piece of shit". To which I replied "So are you" and drove off.

Truthfully I don't mind questions or comments but I don't think there's another car out there that makes people just blurt out whatever is on their mind the way a DeLo does. And when you use it daily as I have been lately you learn to leave the windows up and just look straight ahead.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I tend to agree with pretty much everything you're saying... most people who will actually make a comment are excited to see the car and don't necessarily know the best way to express it, so they'll regurgitate the few things they've read or seen on TV about the car recently. Most are trying to be polite and positive so I always try to be as polite and positive with my response.

The guys that make coke jokes or are dicks in general are not even worth responding to. Silence seems to baffle them most and their shit eating grin turns to confusion pretty quickly when you start a conversation with someone else or completely walk away. The reaction from you is what their after so not giving them one is what burns them the most.
    You're exactly right on this. ....and... moving right along... (as you look past the guy and on to someone worth talking to). Thankfully many of these guys drop the coke type comment right off the bat so you know immediately what he is all about (and sometimes you can know it's coming before he even says it and not even give the guy a chance). Those are my favorite... when you know the guy is just waiting to go off on some rant about the car, you know he is somehow, and choose to keep talking to whoever it is on the other side of the car, lol. Hate the sneak-attack guys though that ask a couple seemingly okay questions and then drop the coke one in there after 2-3 questions!

Quote Originally Posted by DMC3165 View Post
    I've been having a tough time with things lately (work,home,etc.) And try to be as polite as possible with most people but I usually keep it brief unless it's a wide eyed young kid or something. I have a real soft spot for kids.

Having said that. I'm on my way to work last week about 3am and that's prime time for a lot of guys getting out of a bar or club or something. A car full of guys pull up next to me and I'm minding my own business when the driver starts yelling a question out the window. I couldn't hear it so I put the window down and he says "What year is this?" I was still half asleep so I just nodded and replied. "that's original." A little annoyed he started with "where's Doc?" And a few other off the cuff BTTF comments. Paying them no mind a guy from the back seat yelled out "I hear that things a real piece of shit". To which I replied "So are you" and drove off.

Truthfully I don't mind questions or comments but I don't think there's another car out there that makes people just blurt out whatever is on their mind the way a DeLo does. And when you use it daily as I have been lately you learn to leave the windows up and just look straight ahead.
    Perfect story as to why I also avoid car shows that have a beer tent attached to them. There isn't that many of them, and definitely not the A&W cruisin' the dub types. No, I mean the ones like 'RibFest' (do you guys have that sort of thing in the US?) Ribfest is pretty fun and as you guessed it, is one of those things where all the vendors come from all over and have a rib competition. Plenty of them come from the south, so I'm thinking you guys in the US have your own. A little on the expensive side paying like $20 for a rack, but they usually have a grandstand and music or shows and maybe some rides, like those fall fair type roller coasters.

They had one in the city I was living in for some time and on the Sat and Sun they would have a car show right there too. I was thinking great, this is perfect. Until realizing the beer tent was right nearby. I recall it was just as we were finishing and they were about to announce the winners at the grandstand and when a few of us were locking up and putting things away to walk over there, along come four young guys just hammered coming out of the beer gardens. They have their Carlsburg coolers upside down on their heads and laughing away. Then they see the DeLorean. Yikes. If you think people act like donkeys just being normal, wait until they are drunk. They went all ape-sh!t over the car and actually went to lie on the hood like they were posing for a photo.

I yelled/told them to get off and as you would imagine, was met with the "what's your problem, man?" Like of course, I am the one being unreasonable and should relax and take it easy. Hard to reason with a drunk guy. It was just about to get heated when I insisted they get away from the car as you're going to damage something and under the one guy's breath I hear, "yea, wait until you come back and the windows are smashed." Ummmm? Really? Thankfully a couple of Griff and Biff sized guys came over from their car a couple down and were like "hey, is there a problem here?" and the young guns went away. No harm done, but no need to go back to the Ribfest car show, that's for sure.

Moral of the story: Drinking and DMCing don't mix

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC3165 View Post
    leave the windows up and just look straight ahead.
    And people wonder why I have been working on the air conditioning for so long...

I've learned that most people don't like being corrected, so unless someone asks a question I won't give them any information. If someone makes a reference to going back in time, I just say something along the lines of "Yeah, when gas was 43 cents a gallon," and they laugh and go about their business. If he says (and it's always a guy, by the way) something truly stupid or offensive, I pretend I didn't hear it, thus giving him another chance to make a first impression that doesn't put me off.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    01495

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by r00b View Post
    Yesterday at a gas station in Nebraska a guy asked me "Where's the reflux capacitor". I think that's what he thought it was called.
    Funny, I've gotten "Where's the Flux Capacitator" on multiple occasions.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Popp View Post
    Funny, I've gotten "Where's the Flux Capacitator" on multiple occasions.
    I think I've heard this every single time I've driven my car. Any every last person who has said it thinks they've come up with something totally original
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    04915

Checking out at Wal-Mart this morning ... guy behind me asks "still got your Lamborghini?"
    I replied ... "Yep"
    Jack Skeens

Page 69 of 188 FirstFirst ... 19 59 67 68 69 70 71 79 119 169 ... LastLast