FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Partially working speedometer?

DeLorean Owner, Missouri jmrydholm's Avatar

My VIN:    10715

Partially working speedometer?

Hi guys,

While taking my car out for a spin tonight, I recently noticed that while the angle drive (brand new kit with the dust cover from Houston) works great, my mileage odometer has stopped working. Also, since I bought the car, there is no trip odometer shaft.

Is there any way at all to repair the main odometer or should I up and buy an OEM speedometer? I hate to drop $200+ on one at the moment...I suppose I could always get some kind of cheap electronic one and log the mileage. Any thoughts? ಥ_ಥ

Thanks for any advice!
    -John

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

The speedo and the odo are powered by the same cable, so if one is working and the other isn't there's some sort of internal issue. Does the trip odo turn and the primary odo doesn't? Neither goes but the speedometer works?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I would pull the speedometer head and disassemble it. Once you get it apart the problem will be obvious and probably cheaply repairable, a clip out of place or something like that. The venders sell a repair kit for the trip reset shaft. There are also shops that specialize in repairing speedo heads if you do not feel comfortable trying it yourself. Might be cheaper though to replace, that way you can get the 140 or 170 MPH scale. When you do take the speedo head out, when you replace it change all of the light bulbs.
    David Teitelbaum

DeLorean Owner, Missouri jmrydholm's Avatar

My VIN:    10715

Thanks David, sound advice! I've replaced the dash bulbs on the heater console with LEDs myself (after getting some metal filings in my fingers...) I had a modern radio put in to replace the dead Craig in 2005. Yeah, I'm not too keen on ripping apart my binnacle alone as I don't want to bust the fragile needles on the gauges. The new angle drive works like a charm, and I can see how fast I'm going. But, neither the mileage odometer nor the trip odometer spins, plus the reset button was already broken back when I first bought the car.

Maybe I should save up a little more and simply invest in a new 140mph unit, LED's, and a new binnacle. Mine's cracked on the top pretty good from the sun. I use a grey carpet cover on the whole dash to protect it and cover up the burnt parts.

-John