FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "DeLoreans are heavy and slow"

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

"DeLoreans are heavy and slow"

Of all the misinformation related to out cars, nothing bothers me more than the "DeLoreans are heavy and slow." More the heavy thing then slow.

When you look at specs and performance data from commercially produced sports cars from 1981, almost all the cars have 0-60 results within 2 seconds of each other. The Ferrari 308 comes in at 8 seconds, the Corvette at 8.1 seconds, the Datsun 280 at 9.2 etc etc and the list goes on. Hardly impressive these days of course, but that was the name of the game with environmental restrictions at the time. Depending on the source, DeLoreans came in between 9.5 and 10.5 seconds. To me, that is slower, not slow. Then for example, you have the 1980 Triumph Spitfire at 13.1. No one complains about how slow they are. There are countless slower imports from the same era.

I agree DeLoreans are not fast, but they were certainly not the slowest sports car in 1981 by any means. They are however the only sports car from 1981 that anyone thinks is slow. This is probably a result of DMC claiming they were contending with the big boys, and not the other imports at the time.

Then you have the whole "heavy" thing. This is just the worst; a real face-palmer. The DeLorean is equally as heavy IF NOT LIGHTER than the cars listed above in the first paragraph. Do biographers and journalists look at data or are they fucking morons? Heavy compared to what? A box of Kleenex? A sock? Are they trying to lift it with one hand? I mean WTF!?

My favorite thing to say now when someone tells me my car is heavy and slow is to respond with: "Oh was that the impression you had when you drove one?" Of course no one ever has.

Now in comes the the engine swap threads. All these people that want to throw in a V8 because they believe the car is heavy and slow. Who can blame them? We believe what we hear from sources we consider to be authorities on the subject - such as biographers and automotive critics. Unfortunately, most of these people haven't had the pleasure of driving a DeLorean or they've got a non-runner they're going to pull the engine from leaving them in the same place.

Maybe it's just me, but when you pull out the engine that came with the car, it really isn't that car anymore. If I put a V8 in a DeLorean, it's not really a DeLorean the same way dropping a K-Car engine into a Ferrari destroys it as a Ferrari. I have nothing against upgrading the original engine with better air filters, cams or heads etc because it (at least to me) maintains original integrity. Where I differ is that I believe people are welcome to do as they wish with their own vehicles, I just wish some wouldn't jump in head first with so much misinformation. I'm willing to bet if all the pro-swappers drove one for a year first, many of them would change their minds.

Just say'n.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Of all the misinformation related to out cars, nothing bothers me more than the "DeLoreans are heavy and slow." More the heavy thing then slow.

When you look at specs and performance data from commercially produced sports cars from 1981, almost all the cars have 0-60 results within 2 seconds of each other. The Ferrari 308 comes in at 8 seconds, the Corvette at 8.1 seconds, the Datsun 280 at 9.2 etc etc and the list goes on. Hardly impressive these days of course, but that was the name of the game with environmental restrictions at the time. Depending on the source, DeLoreans came in between 9.5 and 10.5 seconds. To me, that is slower, not slow. Then for example, you have the 1980 Triumph Spitfire at 13.1. No one complains about how slow they are. There are countless slower imports from the same era.

I agree DeLoreans are not fast, but they were certainly not the slowest sports car in 1981 by any means. They are however the only sports car from 1981 that anyone thinks is slow. This is probably a result of DMC claiming they were contending with the big boys, and not the other imports at the time.

Then you have the whole "heavy" thing. This is just the worst; a real face-palmer. The DeLorean is equally as heavy IF NOT LIGHTER than the cars listed above in the first paragraph. Do biographers and journalists look at data or are they fucking morons? Heavy compared to what? A box of Kleenex? A sock? Are they trying to lift it with one hand? I mean WTF!?

My favorite thing to say now when someone tells me my car is heavy and slow is to respond with: "Oh was that the impression you had when you drove one?" Of course no one ever has.

Now in comes the the engine swap threads. All these people that want to throw in a V8 because they believe the car is heavy and slow. Who can blame them? We believe what we hear from sources we consider to be authorities on the subject - such as biographers and automotive critics. Unfortunately, most of these people haven't had the pleasure of driving a DeLorean or they've got a non-runner they're going to pull the engine from leaving them in the same place.

Maybe it's just me, but when you pull out the engine that came with the car, it really isn't that car anymore. If I put a V8 in a DeLorean, it's not really a DeLorean the same way dropping a K-Car engine into a Ferrari destroys it as a Ferrari. I have nothing against upgrading the original engine with better air filters, cams or heads etc because it (at least to me) maintains original integrity. Where I differ is that I believe people are welcome to do as they wish with their own vehicles, I just wish some wouldn't jump in head first with so much misinformation. I'm willing to bet if all the pro-swappers drove one for a year first, many of them would change their minds.

Just say'n.
    Truer words were never spoken!

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Exactly. The original Triumph TR6s did 0-60 in about 10sec with a 110mph top speed; no one complains about those. Porsche 944s were about 8.5-9 sec 0-60. Change up the muffler and remove the cat in a DeLorean and you're in the mid 8 second range, I'm sure. Its not a 'fast' car, but its not 'slow' either.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Well, let's be fair here - swapping an engine into a Ferrari makes it less of a Ferrari because F cars have proprietary engines. The DeLorean has the PRV; nothing distinctive about that. In fact, I would argue that the engine is the least "DeLorean" part of the car.

If you took away the stainless, or the gull wings, then yeah, you certainly would have made it less DeLorean.

Other than that, I agree with your post.

Let's look at the weight and 0 - 60 of some cars from that same era:

1981 Corvette, 190 HP, 8.1 seconds 0 - 60, 3,345 pounds
    1981 911 SC, 204 HP, 5.7 seconds 0 - 60, 2,552 pounds
    1981 Esprit, 140 HP, 8.1 seconds 0 - 60, 2,425 pounds
    1981 Ferrari 308, 210 HP, 7.1 seconds 0 - 60, 3,317 pounds
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Well, let's be fair here - swapping an engine into a Ferrari makes it less of a Ferrari because F cars have proprietary engines. The DeLorean has the PRV; nothing distinctive about that. In fact, I would argue that the engine is the least "DeLorean" part of the car.
    Good point, Mike. I look at it from more of a collectors position. Let's not forget DMC also pioneered a completely original turbo set-up for our PRV's incarnation.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Not a DeLorean Guru

Good point, Mike. I look at it from more of a collectors position. Let's not forget DMC also pioneered a completely original turbo set-up for our PRV's incarnation.
    Agreed on the collector point.

Well, Legend did that
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    1981 Corvette, 190 HP, 8.1 seconds 0 - 60, 3,345 pounds
    1981 911 SC, 204 HP, 5.7 seconds 0 - 60, 2,552 pounds
    1981 Esprit, 140 HP, 8.1 seconds 0 - 60, 2,425 pounds
    1981 Ferrari 308, 210 HP, 7.1 seconds 0 - 60, 3,317 pounds
    If you want to be totally appalled, look up the weight of a modern Mustang/ Camaro/ Challenger.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    If you want to be totally appalled, look up the weight of a modern Mustang/ Camaro/ Challenger.
    Oh yeah, quite familiar. Its disturbing.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Some other random cars from the same time period that would have been considered sport or luxury sports cars:
    -Mazda RX7s (Late '70s to mid '80s) ranged in from 9-9.8 sec 0-60.
    -BMW 733/735 did 0-60 in about 10 sec,
    -Most Audi 5000 variations were in the high 10 second range
    -1991 Alfa Romeo Spider - 10.5-11 sec
    -Datsun 260/280 SX mid-high 9 sec range
    -Late 1980 to early 1990 Nissan 240SX mid 8s to mid 9s 0-60
    Etc.

My VIN:    06960

If I put a V8 in a DeLorean, it's not really a DeLorean the same way dropping a K-Car engine into a Ferrari destroys it as a Ferrari.
    Completely agree with you here with one exception, the prototype V8 PRV. Someone posted a photo of one on the old .com site, but I'm unable to find it now. Looked JUST like our engine, Kjet, intake, exhaust. Only 8 cylinders.

The PRV may not have been a proprietary engine for DeLorean, but it IS what we got.

As for a V6 swap, well, any PRV fits the bill. Thats about it for me.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast