FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: theMonch is back and he's packing stainless.

My VIN:    07190

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Sounds like perfect Delorean to me.
    She's no 9/10 but arguable a strong 6 or maybe even a 7. All her bits are there and intact, and its a turn key running driving car, I know its hard to judge without pictures, but what would you rate it from the description?
    1988 4Runner Convertible (Daily Driver)
    1978 Corvette Indy Pace Car
    1987 Buick Grand National
    1981 Delorean DMC-12 (07190)
    2000 Buell X-1
    2008 Buell 1125R
    2008 Cadillac Escalade EXT Platinum (tow vehicle)

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by theMonch View Post
    She's no 9/10 but arguable a strong 6 or maybe even a 7. All her bits are there and intact, and its a turn key running driving car, I know its hard to judge without pictures, but what would you rate it from the description?
    I was hoping to get a more hostile response since I enjoy starting crap. Are you planning on going to DCS this year?

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I was hoping to get a more hostile response since I enjoy starting crap. Are you planning on going to DCS this year?
    Oh I know brother.

I might try to stop by since I am in Ft Lauderdale quite a bit and it's not too far of a drive. Doubt I'll have the car there though. How about you?
    2000 Buell X-1
    2008 Buell 1125R

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by theMonch View Post
    Oh I know brother.

I might try to stop by since I am in Ft Lauderdale quite a bit and it's not too far of a drive. Doubt I'll have the car there though. How about you?
    Yep, I'm gonna be there. I've got my room booked and I'm ready to go.

You need to start working on that car. There is no reason it can't make the drive. Just make a post everytime you need advice and we can help you get the thing ready for the trip down to florida.

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Congrats on the car! Noticed your outer door gasket looks to be missing on your driver's side. I ordered a set of the silicone ones from one of the vendors in Europe, and after 2 years they seem to be holding up very well.

Hope you can make it to DCS!
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Congrats on the car! Noticed your outer door gasket looks to be missing on your driver's side. I ordered a set of the silicone ones from one of the vendors in Europe, and after 2 years they seem to be holding up very well.

Hope you can make it to DCS!
    Thanks for tip, yes the seals are off the car on both sides. The car came with a brand new set that I have yet to put on. I just was pulling things apart trying to assess if I need to do any repair to the roof structure to rectify the door misalignment. As soon as thats done, I'll put them on.
    2000 Buell X-1
    2008 Buell 1125R

Door misaligment assessment

I had a chance to take her out for a drive yesterday to see what I could break and decided to fix some of the annoying little things to get started.

Tires: I went around and checked air pressure to make sure it was safe to take on a "spirited" drive.

Engine Cover Hinge: I pulled the interior from the rear to re-fasten the lower engine cover hinge.

Ignition: I pulled the air box so I could check the condition/age of the ignition components. Most looked pretty old, if not originals, so I will probably be replacing most of it and using these as spares.

Horn: I diagnosed that the horn not working was down to the low tone horn being unplugged and the high tone horn having a corroded positive connection.

Door Alignment: I pulled the rear T Panel cover off to get a look at the torsion bar retaining plates and the rear roof structure. It is actually not anywhere as bad as I originally thought. The driver's side definetly has signes of roof panel seperation, but it looks to be at a very early stage. I will most likely get away with only having to unload the driver torsion bar and not the passenger to bolt the roof structure together. Once completed the doors should line up with slight striker pin adjustments. I can then replace the outer seals. I have attached a picture of the retainer plates and you can see where the driver's side has begun to twist up towards the center of the car. I will "sandwiche" the panels back together using large washers and bolts. I have seen this method used before with great results.
    Attached Images
    2000 Buell X-1
    2008 Buell 1125R

a few more things

addressed a few more annoying things today.

Oil Pressure gauge: I pulled the connection from the sender and cleaned up the terminal and replaced it and voila! a functioning oil pressure gauge. It was reading high and now it reads down around a 1/4 sweep at idle and pushes up to around 60 - 70 at 2000 rpm.

Alternator/charging: I encountered a problem where the battery light came on while I was local driving last sunday, so I brought the car home. I hooked my multi-meter up to the back of the alternator, positive to the stud with the wire bunch and negative to the braket mounting bolt. It looked to be not charging at all. Tryed testing from the battery as well and same results. below 12v and dropping while engine running. Funny thing now was that I charged the battery back up and tested it again, and now it seems to be working again. It gets just over 13v at idle and 14.21 consistently at off idle all the way to 4k rpm. Its a Motorola and looks to be pretty old. I am thinking that it is dying and maybe on its last leg. I'll have to monitor it to see where it goes.

Cooling System: I crawled around underneath to check for corosion and leaks and it all looks good. Checked level and condition of coolant and all looks great.
    2000 Buell X-1
    2008 Buell 1125R

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

When do we get to see some more pictures of your new baby?!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Pictures

Here's what I have from the day I picked it up. I have since cleaned a few things up.
    Attached Images
    2000 Buell X-1
    2008 Buell 1125R

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast