FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Importing Car From US into Canada

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Importing Car From US into Canada

If, for instance, I bought a DeLorean in New York and drove it to the Canadian Border with the US plates it already had on it, would that be possible/admissible? Instead of having to send the ownership and BOS to customs three days in advance, I could just drive over and then take care of the paperwork and taxes when I'm back home, right?
    Can't seem to find the answer when I Google it....

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

Three day wait is mandatory. $500 fine and possible seizure of vehicle if you bring it across and then try to do paperwork.

I got in trouble just for paying the toll at the US side of the border first (inexperienced at the time) and they advised me of such.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory W View Post
    Three day wait is mandatory. $500 fine and possible seizure of vehicle if you bring it across and then try to do paperwork.

I got in trouble just for paying the toll at the US side of the border first (inexperienced at the time) and they advised me of such.
    Well, I can't say I'm surprised. Its not like I'm the first one to think of it. Oh well. Thanks Cory.

I know, I'm a ray of sunshine

Thinking about it, I'm sure if the seller FAXed or sent you a scan of the title and bill of sale, what's stopping you from signing it and FAXing it to the border office where you plan on crossing? Then you sign the official documents (with same date as what you sent them) when you pick the car up. As long as that paperwork is in their hands 72 hours prior, and you have a proper FAX confirmation (they specifically want what looks like a photocopy of the sheets you sent them, with the FAX particulars in the header as proof you sent it when you say you did), you should be alright.

Granted, I didn't do that either. I FAXed at pickup, and made sure it took me 72 hours to get to the border. Considering I went from Montana to Port Huron, MI via I90, with a stop at DMC Midwest, that was not a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory W View Post
    I know, I'm a ray of sunshine

Thinking about it, I'm sure if the seller FAXed or sent you a scan of the title and bill of sale, what's stopping you from signing it and FAXing it to the border office where you plan on crossing? Then you sign the official documents (with same date as what you sent them) when you pick the car up. As long as that paperwork is in their hands 72 hours prior, and you have a proper FAX confirmation (they specifically want what looks like a photocopy of the sheets you sent them, with the FAX particulars in the header as proof you sent it when you say you did), you should be alright.

Granted, I didn't do that either. I FAXed at pickup, and made sure it took me 72 hours to get to the border. Considering I went from Montana to Port Huron, MI via I90, with a stop at DMC Midwest, that was not a big issue.
    I would also imagine the faxing idea would work. I may just have it trucked over and use a broker, though. However, the car I really want to buy still has to be available after I sell my current car. I've had a few people come and check it out, one was quite promising but hasn't gotten back to me. I really hope the D I want is still for sale when I sell my Jag! I keep coming on the forum dreading seeing an update on the "for sale" section saying the car has sold to someone else - ahhhh!

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Cory - what did you do about plates?

I sold a car last year to a Canadian who drove it home. He did the 3 day deal, but the problem was driving the car from here to the border. I was able to get him an Illinois temporary 10-day tag that was valid until he crossed, then he already had a valid Canadian temp tag that was good from there (but would not have been valid in the US).

I don't believe trying to cross driving the car with the plates from the prior owner would be a good thing (since your name won't go with them, i.e. it will appear as if a stolen car), and most sellers don't want (for good reason) to leave their plates on the car anyway.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Dave, because the car came from a used vehicle dealer, they got me a Montana temp. permit. I kept it on and drove with it all the way here. I've seen people travel with temp. plates from other jurisdictions, even way up here, and thought it must be a non-issue. Had anybody stopped me to ask, I was going to show the paperwork and explain how I just got it and was bringing it home. I figured worst case scenario, being a DeLorean, they might have made me tow it from there.

In my case, we cleared the border around 2230 Thursday, and got up here around 0630 Friday. No issues with the police we saw. Probably more amused they saw one on an overnight shift than looking for plates.

My VIN:    3028

Every border crossing in Canada has different sets of rules so you should call up before. I had to mail in the original ownership papers and have it sit at the US export control for 3 days prior to passing over. They give it back to you when you cross, then you show it to Canada customs and you pay all the fees (A/C tax, GST, foreign car fee). Mine was transported on a carrier, so I met the guy in Plattsburg NY, and followed him to customs.

At one point the Canadian border guy said he had to come outside to "inspect" the car.
    He later admitted he had never seen one before and was quite excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    At one point the Canadian border guy said he had to come outside to "inspect" the car.
    He later admitted he had never seen one before and was quite excited.
    That's awesome lol!