FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Delorean Chassis

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcjohn View Post
    New stainless steel frames are being built in Ireland. They are really high quality, laser cut with perfect welds - same company supplied me with the (newly built) front half of my 4 seater chassis and I am really impressed with it.
    Awesome. Hopefully this means DMCH won't have a monopoly on stainless frames.

Rumor has it, that DMCH bought the designs and remaining inventory from Pearce Designs. If this is in fact true, DMCH will have frames available, but I think the rumor also said that they will only be available to customers who have DMCH (or a franchise perhaps?) do the swap.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Don't get too excited till you find out what it will cost to get a frame shipped to the US.
    David Teitelbaum

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Don't get too excited till you find out what it will cost to get a frame shipped to the US.
    David Teitelbaum
    Yeah, shipping would suck. But this just proves that there isn't anything magical to building a frame. I'm sure if there was a demand (and there might be someday) that Josh at DPI could have frames manufactured. He has contacts with a company that has been doing some really nice stainless work for him.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post

Rumor has it, that DMCH bought the designs and remaining inventory from Pearce Designs. .
    I have no idea where that rumor about the designs came from but it's absolutely not true. Pearce still has all the plans etc and has not sold them to anyone. Pearce rebutted this rumor on the DML about a month ago. I'm sure you can find the post there.

The only thing remotely true is that DMCH happened to buy the last couple of the frames that Pearce made before stopping production. They are used up (i.e. on cars) now.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I have no idea where that rumor about the designs came from but it's absolutely not true. Pearce still has all the plans etc and has not sold them to anyone. Pearce rebutted this rumor on the DML about a month ago. I'm sure you can find the post there.

The only thing remotely true is that DMCH happened to buy the last couple of the frames that Pearce made before stopping production. They are used up (i.e. on cars) now.
    Dang, that sucks that no one acquired the plans. Hopefully someone will.

Sorry for the misinformation. I guess I read the rumor part and didn't follow the rest of the emails.

My VIN:    SOLD IT TODAY

um hello.

I would think that if your frame is rusty , you could just take it to
    the dealer and have it replaced under the lifetime warranty. no?

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

DMCH has - or at least used to have a bunch of them. This pic is from Open House 2007. As you can see, the front of the frames have been removed because I believe they are/were in high demand.DSC00164.jpg

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I never saw this picture before. I think it was 05 when I purchased a front portion of frame (cant even remember who sold it to me but it wasn't a vendor) - from the crumple zone to a few inches down the "Y" section. Wonder if it came from one of these......

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The crumple zone (front end of the frame) gets damaged in an accident but they also commonly rot so a lot of the frames had the front ends cut off. It is also easier and cheaper to only ship the part of the frame you need rather than the whole thing. There is nothing magical about making frames after you make the jig and do the first one. There is also nothing magical about repairing frames. It comes down to economics. What is the cost of acquiring the frame, shipping the frame, and reframing vs repair. Many times the frame can be repaired without having to remove the whole body, just suspension parts. The whole frame of a Delorean is just a bunch of pieces of 16 gauge sheet metal bent up and welded together. A good welder can fabricate any section necessary and cut and fit a new piece in. Take a look at R:02:02, :03, :03:02, and :03 at the end of the Workshop Manual.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Dave

Club(s):   (PNDC)

If you need a frame, I have a beautiful frame in brilliant condition for sale. I purchased a Pearce SS frame a long time ago, so don't have a need for my old one. I only swapped it because I wanted the SS frame, not because I needed it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast