FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto Transmission Problem

My VIN:    2565

Auto Transmission Problem

I have been having a problem with my auto transmission which is getting both frustrating and annoying. The car seems to be taking off in second gear, but I'm not completely sure what is going on.

I have not rigged up some test lights but instead had a partner sit in the car and hold the brake while switching gears inside the car. Standing beside the car next to the engine compartment I checked for power with a volt meter. This is what I came up with.

When we dropped down to 1, there was power to both solenoids, but the car would not move at all. Switching up to 2 keeps power on both solenoids but the car now moves, but extremely slow and with the RPMs really high. Switching up to D now shuts power off of one, now only one selenoid is getting power. The car now moves just a little faster but still takes alot of RPMs to move the car. Again the test was done with the car standing still with the brakes to hold the car from moving. The fluid level is good I checked it quite a few times to be sure.

Thanks in advance

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

It sounds like a faulty auto transmission computer to me. There are plenty of vendors with replacement options. I drive a manual so I don't really have any experience with automatics. Hopefully someone will chime in with an answer soon.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    It sounds like a faulty auto transmission computer to me. There are plenty of vendors with replacement options. I drive a manual so I don't really have any experience with automatics. Hopefully someone will chime in with an answer soon.
    Are you referring to the governor?

Oh one more small detail. In any gear, from park all the way down to 1, there is always power to one solenoid. Only 1 and 2 have power to both, the rest to one all the time.

My VIN:    'Was' 2412

Sounds like the Governor to me. I was having the same problem as you before I got it replaced. The car would start off in 2nd in D mode. I still had 1st when I was in 1 or 2 though....

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by deloumis View Post
    Are you referring to the governor?
    Yep. To me if it is a fancy electric box that controls stuff, its a computer. But yeah, all the vendors call em auto transmission governors.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC_PRIME View Post
    Sounds like the Governor to me. I was having the same problem as you before I got it replaced. The car would start off in 2nd in D mode. I still had 1st when I was in 1 or 2 though....
    My concern is why will it not move when i drop it down to 1? And when i drop it to 2 it moves but extremely slow, it seems as if it is slipping. The RPMs go up but the car barely moves. In 1 I rev up but nothing happens. Does that seem like a governor problem?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

First, you aren't measuring whether power is getting to the solenoids -- they are fed 12v anytime the key is on. You are measuring which gets grounded. If it's not moving and in a forward gear, there should be two lights. So, if shifting while sitting still changes the lights, you governor is bad (or shift linkage is rubbing the harness, etc).

When you say, "In 1 I rev up but nothing happens", if you meant it revs in 1st as if it is in neutral while both lights are on, you could have other problems.

EDIT: Check out diagnostics G:04:03 in workshop manual! Test with it up on blocks -- The clutch paks will not take the strain of pulling in the wrong gear... they'll be toast in no time!!!
    Last edited by Ron; 01-15-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    First, you aren't measuring whether power is getting to the solenoids -- they are fed 12v anytime the key is on. You are measuring which gets grounded. If it's not moving and in a forward gear, there should be two lights. So, if shifting while sitting still changes the lights, you governor is bad (or shift linkage is rubbing the harness, etc).

When you say, "In 1 I rev up but nothing happens", if you meant it revs in 1st as if it is in neutral while both lights are on, you could have other problems.
    If i drop down to D, there is only one light. But if i drop to 2 or 1, then there is only 1 light. This is all done without the car moving, brake held down.

Yes when in 1 there are 2 lights but the car revs up as if it was in neutral.

Both 2 and 1 get two lights, but only moves in 2 but extremely slow.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Replace the governor, and don't drive the car until you do. It is starting out in second gear. This is very hard on the internals.

How long (how much driving) has it been like this? How is the fluid level? How is the color/smell?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Replace the governor, and don't drive the car until you do. It is starting out in second gear. This is very hard on the internals.

How long (how much driving) has it been like this? How is the fluid level? How is the color/smell?
    I haven't drove the car at all besides down the road a few times. The car had been sitting for about 15 years when i bought it. I am still trying to get the engine running right, so i don't drive it anywhere. The only driving I do is test drives down the road, about a mile total each test drive.

The transmission had been working fine at first but one day I went to test out the car n the problems began.

Should the governor resolve all the problems I have described? Including two lights lit when in 1 but the car not moving? Another thing,one light is lit all the time even in park, neutral and reverse.

Thanks for all the replies!

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast