FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: For Sale Threads: Rules of Engagement

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

For Sale Threads: Rules of Engagement

It seems recently there have been some cases where people register only to sell some item of limited interest and then we never hear from them again. Others post here with no intention to adequately describe their item or post pictures. A recent "looking for" thread is turning into a bit of a zoo because other people are expressing interest in items that may be available to the original searcher.

I propose the following additional rules to the For Sale thread:
    1. You must post a price with your listing. Price "OBO" is acceptable as well. State whether the price includes shipping, and where to (worldwide; within USA)
    2. You must post pictures or the thread will be closed. If you want a given price, prove your item is worth it.
    3. You are not allowed to bump threads. If it's there, somebody will find it. Additional information, pictures, or a price adjustment are allowed.
    Last edited by Cory W; 01-16-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Real Cars are Steel Cars xbrules's Avatar

My VIN:    02065

There should also be a minimum post requirement by members in order to sell anything say 20+ posts in order to help stop people signing up just to sell stuff and never returning.
    Last edited by xbrules; 01-16-2012 at 08:32 AM.
    Dave Newbury, 1976 XB Fairmont GS Hardtop 351, 1981 DeLorean DMC-12 #02065

My VIN:    10186

i 2nd this. its just so annoying when you see something for sale, whether it be a part or a car and they just post that they have something for and no description is given, no price is given and most importantly no pictures are given. i remember one thread where the owner/scammer??? posted an ad on here for a substantial amount for his car and absolutely refused to post pictures on here insisting that the car was worth the asking price.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Glad this moved form Facebook to here. Hopefully we can get some results on this issue quickly.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Cory W View Post

I propose the following additional rules to the For Sale thread:
    1. You must post a price with your listing. Price "OBO" is acceptable as well. State whether the price includes shipping, and where to (worldwide; within USA)
    2. You must post pictures or the thread will be closed. If you want a given price, prove your item is worth it.
    3. You are not allowed to bump threads. If it's there, somebody will find it. Additional information, pictures, or a price adjustment are allowed.
    I like 1 & 3 but think 2 is not always needed, i.e. "I just ordered a set of door struts and didn't need them". Do we need to see the door struts? Now, joe nobody posts about his early '81 with low miles, he needs to post some pics. I like this discussion and hope folks understand that if you got a problem tell us about it, either threads like this or via pm. Despite our apparent poor internets facade he want this place to be enjoyed by all. So please let Tamir, Mike or myself know if you have issues with us or the forum and we'll work it out.

I don't see an issues enforcing 1&3 but again I think 2 is more subjective. We will make an effort to better enforce the random chatter that is taking place in the for sale section as well.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Real Cars are Steel Cars xbrules's Avatar

My VIN:    02065

if you make it mandatory though to post pictures on ALL sale items, surely that will help to alleviate any potential buyer doubt in any item, even if like you say someone bought something and didn't use it, a photo will remove any potential doubt on it's condition.

What about making for sale items go through moderation before the initial post is made by the seller so the mods can ensure everything is up to scratch?
    Dave Newbury, 1976 XB Fairmont GS Hardtop 351, 1981 DeLorean DMC-12 #02065

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

On a similar tangent, why don't we examine enforcing a couple of the data items in everyone's avatar? Nothing onerous, just a couple of obvious ones like location and year of car or transmission type? I was thinking VIN as well, but some might consider that too personal for some reason. If everyone's location were stated (real or not), then this might help promote club affiliation or individuals helping one another in person because they are just down the road from each other. A little basic data helps people give better replies without "oh, I didn't realize you were and automatic....".

I don't have too much of a problem with people joining to sell something Delorean related and then getting out; after all, doesn't that have benefit to this group? Maybe we just need to have a post or logon minimum for your account to stay active?
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But once someone openly posts something available in a thread it is open game for anyone to go after it regardless of the original post. At that point it is obviously that persons intention to sell their item to anyone interested and not just the original poster.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong. But once someone openly posts something available in a thread it is open game for anyone to go after it regardless of the original post. At that point it is obviously that persons intention to sell their item to anyone interested and not just the original poster.
    Say what you want, but I think it is ethically wrong, to jump in and snap up something someone else is requesting when the part meets your needs/price requirement.

If forum rules are going to be changed, I think a rule should be added to prevent Josh from sniping purchases from other people.

The original poster of a parts request needs to be given a fair chance to purchase something that is offered as a reply to his/her request.

Once a seller makes something public it is fair game. Ethically wrong. yeah ok Steve...... It is the sellers discretion to sell to whomever they choose. Once they make it public it IS fair game to anyone interested and obviously their intent to get as many bites on it as possible.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast