FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: For Sale Threads: Rules of Engagement

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    4. Persons wishing to sell items on DMCTalk.org MUST have a minimum of 20 posts (not including replies such as "lol", smilies, etc.) If you are not a member of this community, we would like to know you a little bit before you try selling items through DMCTalk.org. If you must sell an item earlier, please contact one of the Administrators.
    I think that rule above is a bad idea - totally excludes people who don't feel like being an active member yet have some interesting or rare parts for sale.

Also, I think the following 2 are contradictory:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    1. Items posted for sale in any section must be for items you personally own. Do not post ads for parts you saw for sale online somewhere, including ebay ads that are not yours. These threads will be deleted.

5. If you are posting parts for someone else, you are responsible for the transaction. Make sure you really want to be the middle-man in the transaction.

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcjohn View Post
    I think that rule above is a bad idea - totally excludes people who don't feel like being an active member yet have some interesting or rare parts for sale.
    That's why they can simply PM one of us, and we will let the post stay up. As proven just a few weeks ago with that car that was posted for sale by a person who no one knew on the board, we were given no info on the car, just some snide answers that his was the best, and he wasn't going to waste time posting pics of it to sell. Then what's the point of posting it on DMCTalk.org? You can read more on this example HERE.

The post count is there so people can at least get to somewhat know who you are buying from, and the seller can understand how to use the forum. I can make up a fake name right now, show you 20 pics of a pristine left front fender, have you send me 500 bucks, and you won't get a thing. This is why we decided on that rule. Honestly, if a person can't find time to comment on a minimum 0f 20 things on DMCTalk about DeLoreans with all the info we have on here, i'd worry about buying stuff from them.

We had a case last year where a person's husband passed away and she had some stuff, not too rare, but still some stuff she wanted to unload. She wasn't an active member on the forum, but in a case like that we would allow the post to stay, because she was actually maintaining her thread. We just don't want anymore people opening up accounts, making one 'For Sale' post saying they have a part for sale, then not bother checking PM's, Emails, or even their thread, so no one who actually needs this part can not bother wasting their time, or getting their time wasted.. This is one of the stipulations we would verbalize to the person when we grant them permission to make the post on DMCTalk-- If you are going to post an item for sale, you MUST update the thread, answer the questions people are asking about your item, and let us know when it is sold so it can be properly closed.

Also, I think the following 2 are contradictory:
    Not so much. In regards to rule #5: This is for those people who have elder D owners that do not have access to the internet, but wish to sell items. It has happened a few times in the past. If you are willing to put up an ad for a part for sale as a middle man, and your friend screws a person out of the deal, you are going to be held responsible since you put the ad up. Im really not concerned with this happening again, but it did happen back in about 05 on the old forum. If you sell a part for someone, money is exchanged, and your friend doesn't send the part, you better be ready to reimburse the buyer, or be ready to mediate getting the money back. If you throw your hands up and say you want nothing to do with it, rule #11 will be enforced, and the parties can handle it in court.
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Sounds great to me.

So as it stands with vendor on vendor action. If one of us starts the thread the other should not post a response regarding a better deal. But on a thread started by any other member we can duke it out as always?

Just checking!
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Sounds great to me.

So as it stands with vendor on vendor action. If one of us starts the thread the other should not post a response regarding a better deal. But on a thread started by any other member we can duke it out as always?

Just checking!
    Josh,

What we are referring to is we don't want another vendor chiming in to an ad a competitor places.
    Say you put up a thread offering one of your exhaust systems for $1600.00. You put your contact info up, and everything is fine. Then say Bill Smith's Parts O Rama chimes into your thread offering a similar exhaust system for $1550.00 etc... Well, that's pretty rude to do to someone's thread.

What we would like vendors to do is start their thread, offer the price of their item, answer any questions people have about the offer in there. That's fine. If Bill Smith wants to chime in and offer a part for sale, he must start his own thread, with his own price, and his own contact info. If at some point, you wish to throw in a discount or something, you advertise it in YOUR thread. All is well with the world.

If it turns into an insult war between vendors, such as making comments like "why buy his when you can save money with mine" type of shenanigans, we'll simply close the threads, let you know why, and have you restart the ad again.

By all means, vendors can post up deals they have. This is open to any vendor. We want it to be a place where they can advertise any specials they are offering. But this is for ALL VENDORS. All have the same opportunity, and it should be a level playing field. We all help each other out, and it should stay that way. It's just puts a bad taste in the business sense when a vendor posts in another vendor's thread counter offering. There's no point, it's rude, and honestly looks bad.

Just keep your offer on your part up to date in your thread, adjust prices on your offer as you want, etc.

Now, in line with this are people ASKING for deals on parts (i.e. the "wanted" threads). If two of you are offering similar products, post up your prices in that thread, the other person posts up prices, and let the person choose who they want to go with. None of this "well, mine is better quality, so buy from me type crap" etc...

Hope that helps!

-Mike
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

Ok fair enough.

On a different note - was there a thread deleted regarding the Henry Ford Museum? I had posted a reply there as we are planning a trip out that way so would be good to hear if anyone has already been - but the thread has vanished. Granted, the OP did seem a bit spammy...

Thanks,
    John

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

On a different note - was there a thread deleted regarding the Henry Ford Museum?
    Yes
    OP did seem a bit spammy...
    And yes
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

That rule is for our protection and it makes sense. Do you really want to send money to a complete stranger who you know little about? Requiring the person to at least post a little in the community before selling something helps the seller build a good (or bad) reputation and you can decide if you want to do business with that person based on this.

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    That rule is for our protection and it makes sense. Do you really want to send money to a complete stranger who you know little about? Requiring the person to at least post a little in the community before selling something helps the seller build a good (or bad) reputation and you can decide if you want to do business with that person based on this.
    I support the anti-sock puppet provision!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4