FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Body bolt stripped any suggestions.

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    There's some kinda "nut" built into the frame (possibly welded, and the weld broke.) I have my body off and can see there might be enough access to sneak a nut in there for a repair, but I agree with Matt...a timesert would be the way to go.

FWIW, you can raise the front of the body off the frame and get enough access without doing a full separation if you use "right-angle tools." Probably could do the job in one weekend.
    Thanks Matt & Rich. The body lift option or grinding/cutting my way in, is beyond my capability. Unfortunately, I jumped at the chance to grab a DPNW bar as they just became available once again. This has become an exercise in frustration. But I have a now have a nice klingon bat'leth.

Matt,

You mentioned in your original reply many moons ago that gently prying off the aluminum cup could get me access I need for a Timesert or Helicoil. Do you still after this time believe that an option?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    Matt,

You mentioned in your original reply many moons ago that gently prying off the aluminum cup could get me access I need for a Timesert or Helicoil. Do you still after this time believe that an option?

Steve
    I do, but it is risky. The fiberglass might start cracking or chipping, which isn't a big deal (if minor) because you will need to re-epoxy the cup in place after removal anyway. Take your time and avoid causing unnecessary damage. The green glue that the factory used is not the most tenacious I've seen.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    I do, but it is risky. The fiberglass might start cracking or chipping, which isn't a big deal (if minor) because you will need to re-epoxy the cup in place after removal anyway. Take your time and avoid causing unnecessary damage. The green glue that the factory used is not the most tenacious I've seen.
    If it's epoxy glue, heat can soften it. And epoxy does not bond that good to aluminum. I've had aluminum epoxy break free when it sees temperature cycles.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    If it's epoxy glue, heat can soften it. And epoxy does not bond that good to aluminum. I've had aluminum epoxy break free when it sees temperature cycles.
    I'll try the heat route first as it sounds least destructive. I was thinking instead of hammer and chisel to pry it loose...use one of those oscillating multi-tools with a narrow blade to contain the area.

I'll try the heat route first as it sounds least destructive. I was thinking instead of hammer and chisel to pry it loose...use one of those oscillating multi-tools with a narrow blade to contain the area.
    Maybe heat and if you can get a freeze spray quickly freeze it (used in electronics troubleshooting), and the shock will break the bond.
    Dave M vin 03572

Maybe heat and if you can get a freeze spray quickly freeze it (used in electronics troubleshooting), and the shock will break the bond.
    Interesting thinking. I'll just about give anything a try that is within my capability and ability to reach.

Interesting thinking. I'll just about give anything a try that is within my capability and ability to reach.
    The freeze spray is just R-134a in a can so if you can't find it you may be able to rig something up with a can of AC charge. You want the liquid to spray onto the aluminum.
    Dave M vin 03572

The freeze spray is just R-134a in a can so if you can't find it you may be able to rig something up with a can of AC charge. You want the liquid to spray onto the aluminum.
    Thanks for the assist. Attending a wedding tomorrow, but Amazon will deliver my freeze spray on Sunday. We'll give it a shot and see where this goes.

I've not removed this bolt and I may not have a clear picture of what your up against. I'm assuming this bolt holds the fiberglass body to the shock tower. You need access to install a thread inseart. From what I gather, there's a aluminum washer bonded to the fiberglass to spread out the load.

Since you only need to install a thread insert, why do you need to pry this aluminum off? How about drilling the hole slightly bigger? If need be use a hole saw and go a bit bigger. Once your done, you can just use a bigger washer to hold the body down.

As far as thread inserts go, you might look into "riv-nuts".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast