FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Door rattle

My VIN:    5628

Door rattle

So I'm driving my car and I hear a rattle coming from what sounds like the front part of the driver's door...as if the locking pin is rattling around inside the locking mechanism. I have checked it- it latches. The pin on the door frame does not appear to be bent or out of alignment... The doors themselves line up very well all around.

What should I be looking for now?

Thoughts?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by djdogbone View Post
    So I'm driving my car and I hear a rattle coming from what sounds like the front part of the driver's door...as if the locking pin is rattling around inside the locking mechanism. I have checked it- it latches. The pin on the door frame does not appear to be bent or out of alignment... The doors themselves line up very well all around.

What should I be looking for now?

Thoughts?
    Check the screws on the door that hold the front latch in. Maybe they are loose.
    David Teitelbaum

Screws ok

At first I thought the locking mechanism was not latching but it seems to work fine. I lubes it up and it was pretty dirty grease in there but it latches fine. I was wondering if there was a door stop I was missing. Maybe the pin is worn out. All screws are ok, tight and in good nick.

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

At first I thought the locking mechanism was not latching but it seems to work fine. I lubes it up and it was pretty dirty grease in there but it latches fine. I was wondering if there was a door stop I was missing. Maybe the pin is worn out. All screws are ok, tight and in good nick.
    If your latch works properly and does latch in second stop, there's an other possible cause:
    Remains of the rivets of the door's top seal if that has been replaced.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Wait a tick

Are you saying the locking mechanism on the door has two locking positions!?? Then I'll need to check it again.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Are you saying the locking mechanism on the door has two locking positions!?? Then I'll need to check it again.
    You need to hear both the front and back latches click twice. That way you know both are in "second locking position". If everything in the door is properly adjusted and both latches are not in second locking position you should not be able to lock the door unless you force it and if you do force it you bend and stretch the linkage messing up all of the adjustments. Close the door slowly and you can hear each click. Both latches should click almost simultaneously into each locking position.
    David Teitelbaum