FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No window regulator tutorial here?!

No window regulator tutorial here?!

Hey Guys,
    I own 2 Deloreans, one of them had a drivers side window go down and never come back up. I can hear the motor but no window. I opened the door panels (upper and lower)to adjust the door lock/latch linkage which was also giving me trouble(getting locking in the car). Luckily there are some good instructions on this procedure on this site that helped tremendously.THX! Fixed.

But while in there i noticed that the window regulator looks impossible to get to...
    It's inside the door cavity and i don't think it opened up. How the hell do you replace this thing or work on it? I was surprised that on this entire site there is no tutorial or helpful info on this very common problem.

Any one do this before? I love pictures btw! (visual learner)

Here are some shot of my inner door. Save them, draw on them in MS paint if it works, repost. I really think this site needs this tut.

I'll make a tutorial I just need some help.

Attached Images

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

I just ordered a new and improved window motor and was hoping to use this video (which I haven't really watched yet)....don't know if it helps out or not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxYUxrnMM9U

John

My VIN:    16245

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    I just ordered a new and improved window motor and was hoping to use this video (which I haven't really watched yet)....don't know if it helps out or not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxYUxrnMM9U

John
    This video helped me install both regulators, and I'm a total noob with cars.
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

it is a helpful video but what about connecting anything to the glass retaining clips? The glass is behind another piece of stainless inside the door that seems unreachable.

A step by step would be great.
    What this particular video does not explain is what to do first. how to remove the old regs and attach the new ones(in the upper window area). It does help with the bolt configuration in the lower area that can be accessed easily.

Maybe this is easier than it looks? I just did the regs on a VW jetta and had to take the glass off the retaining clips and I just don't see how this is possible on a D in that inner space.
    Little help.

My VIN:    02261

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I posted my pictures on the old dmctalk.com web site. I was just waiting for someone to ask the question regarding the all metal A1 Electric aftermarket window motors available from any DeLorean parts vendor.
    I lowered the toll both window just a little then taped it into place to position the two nuts so I could remove them easily as you can see in the third picture. I hope the pictures make sense. I can’t recall what questions I got the last time I posted these pictures online.
    Attached Images
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

outatym2001, this third image you posted is missing link i think I've been after. Nobody mentions what is going on up there. Thanks!

I can see that if the window is all the way up you can get at the base of the window where it secures to that tube through that sharp access opening.
    That little pipe is the only thing that hoists the window up huh, interesting... The jetta one i just installed had some solid pulleys and cables. This is a weird design compared to the modern cars.

Hmm, since my window is stuck in the down position i tried to yank it up a few times but no luck. Do i have to remove those 2 nuts to get old reg off?

I guess i can saw the old pipe off at the lower opening then pull the window up.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by zimvsdib View Post
    The jetta one i just installed had some solid pulleys and cables. This is a weird design compared to the modern cars.

Hmm, since my window is stuck in the down position i tried to yank it up a few times but no luck. Do i have to remove those 2 nuts to get old reg off?

I guess i can saw the old pipe off at the lower opening then pull the window up.
    Some Toyotas have a similar drive mechanism to the D's, no pulleys.

Taking the 2 nuts off would allow the window to move up on the track and get the glass off the regulator. The regulator won't come out if it is still in one piece and it's still attached to the window.

Yes, a Sawzall or hacksaw will also do the job. You'll still need to remove the bracket nuts after the glass (and upper part of regulator) are cut free of the lower part. It will be easy at that point.

When the new regulator is installed you'll want to run the window bracket up and down until you find a position about halfway up that allows easy re-attachment of the window to the regulator bracket bolts.

excellent. I think i know how this is all going to go down. It very clear now. Thanks!

I just have to pick up the regs. I'm in so cal and it looks like A1 Electric Automotive is 15 minutes from me. Is that the replacement regs that everyone uses these days?
    Too bad they only sell pairs, only need one of these things.

Also my motors still work on the broken reg, im assuming it's still junk. correct?

Quote Originally Posted by zimvsdib View Post
    it is a helpful video but what about connecting anything to the glass retaining clips? The glass is behind another piece of stainless inside the door that seems unreachable.
    Glad my video is still being used.... You say it seems unreachable, but it's right at the top, two nuts, easily accessible The window needs to be run all the way up of course....

When you have the new regulator in your hand, it's pretty obvious.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

+1 Martin's video is perfect. I was able to do my regulator without any conceptual problems, just the normal "hard to work inside the doors" issues. Took about 1 hour to do the install after watching his video a few times. I also had it on the seat next to me just in case as I was doing the job.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast