FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: No window regulator tutorial here?!

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hey all.

My psg window went down on a Saturday drive, and would not come back up afterwards. Parked the car in the garage with the cover to address it later.

Today I began to look at it, and got power at the fuse (which I'd figure since driver's window works fine), at console switch, and tore into the guts of the door to verify that I have power at the connector on the regulators - so it looks like the regulator has gone bad. I had heard from my previous owner that these were replaced, and I can tell they are replacements - which looks like one lasted about 7 or 8 years with really not that much usage (both windows are either up or down, not one more than the other).

So I started to remove the regulator. Following Martin's video, and pictures on this thread, as a starting guide, I was able to remove the three retaining screws.
    What is really hard to get at are the two nuts on the window itself.
    They are barely visible at the bottom if I pull on the loose regulator, and similarly barely visible at the top if I push the loose regulator up.

Are you guys saying to just cut the metal tube on the regulator (I guess there is a cable inside right?), and then raise the window so you can access them from above?
    If cutting the tube is the only way to access those nuts, how the heck do you get the new regulator in?

Thanks.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Ozzie,

You should be able to position the window carrier just at the right spot in he top opening to get at those two 10mm nuts.

Sounds like the old one is jammed and making this impossible. In that case I'd cut it and break it. These units are replaced as a whole, so you'll be tossing out the old one anyway.

Does that make sense?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Ozzie,

You should be able to position the window carrier just at the right spot in he top opening to get at those two 10mm nuts.

Sounds like the old one is jammed and making this impossible. In that case I'd cut it and break it. These units are replaced as a whole, so you'll be tossing out the old one anyway.

Does that make sense?
    Oh, I get it. If it wasn't jammed I would be able to position the window for access to the nuts.
    Yes, makes sense now, and the reason to cut it at well.

Thanks Dave.

Do these jam often?
    Is there a way to un-jam them (before cutting them), as opposed to spending a few bills for a replacement?

Edit:
    I am thinking that tomorrow I'll try to remove the plastic sleeve and see if I can give the wire a good tug to un-jam it. If that goes nowhere, then I'll just cut and proceed.
    Last edited by Ozzie; 09-02-2013 at 09:53 PM.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I can't recall on the original units if you can remove the regulator from the worm gear drive, but that would be one way to move the window without breaking the tubing. The regulator is what is likely holding it in place. Even on oem units you can typically free jams from bad joints and get the window where you need it with a little effort.

New units have this ability which also helps during installation.

I keep the battery and some long wires on hand to power the regulator when needed to make adjustments. That saves a lot of effort.

Any pictures, Ozzie?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Well, I put this off for a week, but got back on it today.

First thing I tried was removing the guide's plastic tube on the motor, to see if I could get the cable un-stuck. No go, it was stuck good.

I had a sawzall ready, but held off using it because of the tight space and the exterior door panel being so easy to hit. So instead I pushed and shoved a little here and there, and was finally able to access and remove both 10mm nuts, from the motor guide attachment. Note: they are not symmetrically spaced, so you can't use a 10mm socket on the top one, loosened it first, with a wrench and tiny arc movements, and then finally with a long nose pliers.

Once the nuts were off, it wasn't easy but to separate the guide from the window, the bracket the nuts held would not want to clear the threads, but it got done.

Removing the motor and guide from the door panel: yeah....not so easy for me. I finally separated the guide plate from the motor, and that was the trick that worked to get the motor out. Once the motor came out, then then there was more room to maneuver the guide out of the door panel. I noticed that the cable did slide freely, once separated from the motor.

At some point the window came off track, and I figured I'd pull it out from the top - but I could not find a good way to get it back on the tracks to pull it out.

So that's where I left it all today.

I did snap a picture of the motor:

Looks OEM? ..and it appears to be seized, it will not rotate with a pliers, nor hooked up to a 12V supply.

Questions:
    Any tips on getting that window back on the track?
    Does the motor as described sound sized? Any way to revive it? Zombify it?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    At some point the window came off track, and I figured I'd pull it out from the top - but I could not find a good way to get it back on the tracks to pull it out.

Questions:
    Any tips on getting that window back on the track?
    As for getting the drop glass out and back in again did you see this yet?

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?72...dow-drop-glass

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    As for getting the drop glass out and back in again did you see this yet?

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?72...dow-drop-glass
    No I had not.
    Very useful, thanks.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Looks OEM? ..
    No, not OEM.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2