FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Clutch not disengaging

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I used my video camera to view the travel of my car's clutch slave. Jon definitely has a fully functioning hydraulic system. If anything his clutch arm to being pushed more than mine. Its definitely insufficient clearances between the clutch and flywheel.

My VIN:    1768

Here is the travel of mine, my clutch fully disengages, and try to ignore the horrible squeak

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=MVI_0484.mp4

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Fooled with the master adjustment. Didn't really help much.

I called up Hervey and he's sending out a new pressure plate and a new fork for me to try.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    10686

did you guys ever get this figured out? having the same identical issue.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Another possible cause could be putting the clutch friction plate on backwards. I don't know if it affects Deloreans but I do know it can really mess things up on other makes. On some cars it is impossible to assemble the clutch plate incorrectly. Because there is no clutch adjustment the dimensions are very critical. If a reline is too thick it will not release. With that said a new disc can drag a LOT. Driving it a little and putting some wear on it may be all you need to do. I had one Delorean where it was sitting for years and the clutch would not release. The hydraulics were working but the plate had frozen between the flywheel and the pressure plate. Got it to release by getting the car in reverse and hitting the brakes while holding down the clutch. Eventually had to replace the clutch anyway. Another thing to look for is bending or cracking of the clutch fork. This is a bit unusual so you must look for unusual causes. If you had a really hard time getting the transmission back in it could be something done during that install. For instance if you got partway in and let the transmission "hang" on the clutch plate you could have bent it. If you did not check that the clutch plate slid smoothly on the splines it could be hanging up and not floating into it's correct position on the input shaft. On a car once (not a Delorean) I put the throwout bearing on backwards. Needless to say the clutch did not work. Once you make a mistake like that you learn to check and check again for that kind of stuff. You observe carefully when you take things apart and try to make sure you reassemble it the way it came apart. Like Dave S said about the hollow alignment dowels, make sure there is one on each side and that they line things up, VERY IMPORTANT! If it still doesn't work take it out again and try to figure out where it went wrong. It will be a wrong or bad part, a part out of place or installed incorrectly, or you damaged something during the install. All of this assumes the clutch hydraulics are working properly.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5