FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Searchable Workshop/Technical/Bulletins and Volvo Engine Manuals

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Searchable Workshop/Technical/Bulletins and Volvo Engine Manuals

I've scanned my own PJ Grady sourced Workshop, Bulletin and Technical manuals for my own use, as well as my Volvo Engine Repair and Maintenance, Reconditioning and CI Fuel System manuals. These are reasonably high-quality scans (ScanSnap document scanners are quite handy for this sort of thing), but the really nice bit is that I've run them all through FineReader's OCR software to create searchable PDFs of each manual. Since OCR isn't 100%, I converted it using the "text under images" mode (I call it a "hybrid" file). This means that the searchable text (which will be mostly correct) isn't visible on the page, as the original scanned image (which is actually correct) is laid over it. These scans are color where applicable (and sometimes where not).

I put them all on my DropBox and sync them to my computers, iPhone and iPad (through GoodReader) so that they're always available. The files clock in at 8 to 35 MB each (85 MB total).

I tried to attach them to this forum post directly, but only the smallest (~5 MB) file would upload. I figure I probably hit a file size limit (odd that it doesn't tell you that until AFTER it's uploaded the file). I've put them all in my DropBox's Public folder instead. If an admin would like to move them to the forum proper, it would be much appreciated.

Anyway, enjoy!

-- Joe
    Last edited by Ron; 02-02-2018 at 12:38 PM. Reason: BROKE LINKS

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    I've scanned my own PJ Grady sourced Workshop, Bulletin and Technical manuals for my own use, as well as my Volvo Engine Repair and Maintenance, Reconditioning and CI Fuel System manuals. These are reasonably high-quality scans (ScanSnap document scanners are quite handy for this sort of thing), but the really nice bit is that I've run them all through FineReader's OCR software to create searchable PDFs of each manual. Since OCR isn't 100%, I converted it using the "text under images" mode (I call it a "hybrid" file). This means that the searchable text (which will be mostly correct) isn't visible on the page, as the original scanned image (which is actually correct) is laid over it. These scans are color where applicable (and sometimes where not).

I put them all on my DropBox and sync them to my computers, iPhone and iPad (through GoodReader) so that they're always available. The files clock in at 8 to 35 MB each (85 MB total).

I tried to attach them to this forum post directly, but only the smallest (~5 MB) file would upload. I figure I probably hit a file size limit (odd that it doesn't tell you that until AFTER it's uploaded the file). I've put them all in my DropBox's Public folder instead. If an admin would like to move them to the forum proper, it would be much appreciated.

Anyway, enjoy!

• DMC-Bulletins-Hybrid.pdf
    • DMC-Technical-Hybrid.pdf
    • DMC-WorkshopManual-Hybrid.pdf
    • Volve-B28F_Reconditioning-Section2_21-Hybrid.pdf
    • Volvo-B28F_RepairAndMaintenance-Section2-Hybrid.pdf
    • Volvo-CIFuelSystem-Secton2_ex23-Hybrid.pdf

-- Joe
    These are great! I just checked them out and the OCR seems solid, searching works well. Great job!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

For DMC-WorkshopManual-Hybrid.pdf, Adobe Reader gives me "The file is damaged and could not be repaired".

EDIT: Got it. Went to delete the D/L and there was none, tried D/L againand got the same message. I thought it was odd that the reader would be reporting an error when I tried to D/L it again. Killed the browser and tried again with success.

Anyway, SweeeeeeeT. THANKS!!!
    Last edited by Ron; 01-21-2012 at 08:55 PM.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Your download might have gotten interrupted, that one worked for me for sure - it's the most interesting!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Does anyone happen to have one of these for a 3.0?

--buddy

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    Does anyone happen to have one of these for a 3.0?

--buddy
    Buddy: Sometimes you can find .pdfs of Mopar shop manuals for sale online. I have no idea if they're legit, but they can save you hundreds of bucks over hard copies from Mopar. They can either send you a CD with the manual on it, or you can download it. (I found one for my '06 PT Cruiser this way.)

Back on topic: Great work and thanks to the OP. I was working on an html version of the shop manual, but I can happily abandon that project now.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

I'm (very) slowly working on a 3.0L conversion on my car, so I picked up a 1990 Monaco/Premier 3.0L Engine Overhaul Student Reference Manual and a 1990 Monaco/Premier Service Manual. I think they were $10 each on Ebay, although the latter was in pretty rough shape.

The Student Reference Manual is specifically about the 3.0L engine, and covers how to take it apart and put it back together again. It's pretty handy, but it's missing some details (like information about the tappets on the rocker arms). It doesn't cover anything related to the electrical system, fuel, cooling, etc.

The Service manual is a 830+ page book about everything on the Premiere/Monaco, including the engine, fuel system cooling system, wiring, etc.

You can download both from my public dropbox. Both manuals are searchable.

-- Joe

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Those links in the First post won't open for me either. Here is a link to the DMCNEWS Technical bulletin info.:

http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/index.html
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Interesting; I just tried the first two links and they download fine. I'm not sure what the problem might be. They're hosted through Dropbox.

-- Joe

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    Interesting; I just tried the first two links and they download fine. I'm not sure what the problem might be. They're hosted through Dropbox.

-- Joe
    I'm not surprised they worked for you, since you created them. I use an iMac running OS X w/Safari. I also tried Fire Fox and it wouldn't open either. Just got the spinning wheel of death. It could be just something in the settings on my end. Either way it's no big deal for me. I just thought the other link might be helpful if others had issues.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast