FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone still truly "Daily drive" their DeLorean?

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Two main reasons driving a Delorean as a DD is not practical. First is insurance. You can't use classic insurance and if you use "ordinary" insurance you can't insure it for full value. Second is parts. If you need to do any repairs and you have to order parts it means you can't fix the car quickly so you have to have another car to use while you fix the Delorean. You CAN make the car reliable but no matter how well you take care of the car, things will wear out and break. On the plus side, you can buy a good Delorean for a LOT less than a new car, fix it up and drive the wheels off it and still save money and have a really cool car to drive.
    My 17 years and over 176,000 miles (227k total) of driving the DeLorean as a DD say otherwise.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Well since this thread has been resurrected I’ll chime in. I drive mine on a regular basis, at a rate of approx 5,000 miles per year. If the weather is nice, I’m probably driving it. I find it more fun to drive then my new Mustang (and I love that Mustang). The DeLorean offers a driving experience that can’t be matched.

Given the age and collectibility of these cars, most people would not daily them. If one lived in a nice climate without winters (salt on the roads), one could daily a DeLorean easily. It would be most unwise to daily drive in the winter due to the frame rust/rot that would occur. I have heard from a few people that some really clean cars have been found in the Washington/Oregon area since they don't get beat on by the sun like in California or Arizona. Apparently, driving in rain isn't too bad on these cars. I have a record going that each time I'm on my way home from DMC MW it rains hard. So far my car has not melted.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Valley PD View Post
    Given the age and collectibility of these cars, most people would not daily them. If one lived in a nice climate without winters (salt on the roads), one could daily a DeLorean easily. It would be most unwise to daily drive in the winter due to the frame rust/rot that would occur. I have heard from a few people that some really clean cars have been found in the Washington/Oregon area since they don't get beat on by the sun like in California or Arizona. Apparently, driving in rain isn't too bad on these cars. I have a record going that each time I'm on my way home from DMC MW it rains hard. So far my car has not melted.
    Just to clarify since I am in Ohio, I daily drive but my car hibernates during the salt season (typically Nov 1 thru Feb). As soon as the Spring rain washes the salt away, 16506 is out & about.
    Last edited by ssdelorean; 03-18-2020 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typo
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I daily drove mine for many years, but eventually got something more practical. Also, it started to need some engine work so I let it rest for a while. Now that the engine is fixed up, I'm going to be driving it more.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The biggest problem using the Delorean as a Daily Driver (D/D) is insurance. Classic insurance usually sets limits on mileage and specifically prohibits using it as a DD or to commute. Using "ordinary" insurance usually does not allow you to set the value, it gets set by "Blue Book" or some other independent method that doesn't give you full value. If you intend to drive the car regularly you MUST discuss this with your insurance company or agent and fully understand the policy and how it works. You do not want to find out after you have a claim. Same goes for the plates. If you have classic or historic plates there are rules that limit your use. All of this changes State by State and insurance company by insurance company. You HAVE to do a little homework if you want to D/D your Delorean. Worst case your car gets some damage, the insurance company says it is worth $5,000 because it is so old, the damage exceeds $5,000, they total it and take it away.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

The biggest problem using the Delorean as a Daily Driver (D/D) is insurance. Classic insurance usually sets limits on mileage and specifically prohibits using it as a DD or to commute. Using "ordinary" insurance usually does not allow you to set the value, it gets set by "Blue Book" or some other independent method that doesn't give you full value. If you intend to drive the car regularly you MUST discuss this with your insurance company or agent and fully understand the policy and how it works. You do not want to find out after you have a claim. Same goes for the plates. If you have classic or historic plates there are rules that limit your use. All of this changes State by State and insurance company by insurance company. You HAVE to do a little homework if you want to D/D your Delorean. Worst case your car gets some damage, the insurance company says it is worth $5,000 because it is so old, the damage exceeds $5,000, they total it and take it away.
    So? It's not as big of a problem as you state. I'm sure most owners discuss the car with their agents and have a policy to cover the car adequately.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

As I said, it varies by State and in some States either you cannot get agreed value or if you try to set it, the premium is just too expensive. On top of that there will be a deductible. To reduce or eliminate that it will cost even more. You would be surprised how many owners do not know enough about their policies. While it is rare to have a car totaled, it does happen. If you think I don't need a lot of insurance, if the car gets hit I will just get it from the other driver's company. That assumes you get hit by another car, you catch him, the owner has insurance, and that insurance company doesn't total the car "out of the book". Probably more likely the car will be consumed in a fire. Then it is on you and your insurance company. Most classic/historic cars claims are related to storage damage like stuff falling on the car. Most D/D claims are small fender-benders and glass. Even a small fender-bender could add up to enough to total out a Delorean. Typically if the claim is within 10% of the car's value they total it. Ask your agent how much they think your car is worth. Classic insurance is very inexpensive and you can insure it for a lot, like $40-$60K and no deductible. Try doing that with an "ordinary" policy and see what it costs.
    David Teitelbaum

As I said, it varies by State and in some States either you cannot get agreed value or if you try to set it, the premium is just too expensive. On top of that there will be a deductible. To reduce or eliminate that it will cost even more. You would be surprised how many owners do not know enough about their policies. While it is rare to have a car totaled, it does happen. If you think I don't need a lot of insurance, if the car gets hit I will just get it from the other driver's company. That assumes you get hit by another car, you catch him, the owner has insurance, and that insurance company doesn't total the car "out of the book". Probably more likely the car will be consumed in a fire. Then it is on you and your insurance company. Most classic/historic cars claims are related to storage damage like stuff falling on the car. Most D/D claims are small fender-benders and glass. Even a small fender-bender could add up to enough to total out a Delorean. Typically if the claim is within 10% of the car's value they total it. Ask your agent how much they think your car is worth. Classic insurance is very inexpensive and you can insure it for a lot, like $40-$60K and no deductible. Try doing that with an "ordinary" policy and see what it costs.

Make sure to read the policy and fine print for any limitations and restrictions. Some only allow use to and from events, parades and specific annual mileage. I had a policy that only allowed that and they stated no joy rides or stopping at a store. This was for a vintage Corvette and I quickly changed companies.

Again, read and understand the policy coverage. What the agent tells you may different from the fine print.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

If you drive your car, make sure you have the proper insurance. This way you can use the insurance to cover the associated costs. Also if you do get into an accident make sure you unfasten your seatbelt before leaving your vehicle.

Michael the Guru

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast