FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CV boot clamp options?

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

CV boot clamp options?

While working on my car last week, I noticed that both of the CV boots are coming off on the larger end closest to the tires. The old boot clamps that are supposed to be holding these on are basically worthless. What clamps do you use?

I have heard that zip ties work, but I am skeptical. Heck, if they do work, that seems like a very easy and cheap option. Let me know what you use. Thanks.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

My VIN:    5778

The replacement boots I bought came with zip ties, I was a little unsure as well, but all is still good. A little trouble getting them tight, but it all worked out.
    Good luck,
    Curt

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I've tried traditional CV boot clamps with the "crush" fitting and Band-It style strap clamps. The crush fitting was damn near impossible to get tight enough to seal. In fact, the tool I rented to crimp it bent while I was trying, and the clamp STILL wasn't tight.

The Band-It style clamps also need a special tool but it seemed much more reliable - uses ratchet force rather than sheer crush strength to tighten down. I also had trouble getting these tight enough and the boot I replaced is slinging grease into my engine bay now. I ordered replacement boots from Hervey and they came with zip ties. I haven't installed those yet.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    3004

Club(s):   (DCF)

I went with heavy duty black zip ties from Auto Zone.

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

I have used the original metal clamps with crimpers and the belonging tool.
    Took awful many efforts to get them tight, but could not get it fully closed and grease came out.

Used the strip like clamps and managed to break a couple before they stayed on.
    Even them some grease came out.

The latest attempt has been with zip ties which also needed some force and a screw driver to prevent them from turning away.
    However these kept tight and fully closed: no grease in the engine bay.
    I'll stick with the zip ties (the width is about the size of their metal equivalent.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by WelmoedJ View Post
    I have used the original metal clamps with crimpers and the belonging tool.
    Took awful many efforts to get them tight, but could not get it fully closed and grease came out.

Used the strip like clamps and managed to break a couple before they stayed on.
    Even them some grease came out.

The latest attempt has been with zip ties which also needed some force and a screw driver to prevent them from turning away.
    However these kept tight and fully closed: no grease in the engine bay.
    I'll stick with the zip ties (the width is about the size of their metal equivalent.
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one. Your experience precisely mirrors my own. Now I'm looking forward to installing the zip ties!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Great info. Better that I learn from others' experiences than have to go through it myself. I'm going to go with the zip ties and see how that goes. Thanks for the help.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

As the rubber for the boots gets old they get "squishy" and the tighter you try to make them the more they want to squeeze out. If they will not stay you should replace the boot. I do not like the zip ties, you can't get them tight enough. I like the metal clamps but you need a special tool but they aren't that expensive. You need to get the right tool for the type of metal clamp you are using, there are several types of clamping pliers, not all of them work with every type of clamp tie. It helps to clean the grease off the cup and the inner surface of the boot before trying to clamp it on. I also like to use some silicone but you have to be careful with that, it can also make the boot squish out from under the clamp if you get too much in there or you clamp it too tight. Properly installed you should not leak any grease. Make sure the cup is not bent, letting the half-shaft drop will bend the cup. If the cup is bent the boot will not stay on.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3997

Anyone know a crossover part # for the boots?
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

All of the cross-over #'s are for obsolete parts or the manufacturers are out of business. The only way to be assured you are getting the correct part that fits is to order it from a Delorean vendor. I am sure there is a cross-over to a modern part, we just don't have it. Besides, even if we had the # chances are you won't be getting it any cheaper or faster than ordering it from a Delorean vender anyway.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast