FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Clicking sound, drivers side footwell

My VIN:    16882.

Question Clicking sound, drivers side footwell

Hello all, I have a minor irritant I'm trying to diagnose. While driving, I'm getting a clicking sound under the binnacle/from the footwell area. Occasionally, you can see corresponding movement in the speedometer. The previous owner told me that this was the speedometer cable and that occasionally it needs tightening to do away with the noise. I've since been told by another DeLorean owner that this explanation is flawed. Anyway, any idea what it may be and how to fix? It's the only rogue cabin noise I have, so I'd like to be rid of it! Thanks.

My VIN:    6125

If the clicking corresponds to a dip in the speedo then it has to be related to either the cable or the lambda service counter. My educated guess is that you've probably got some issue with the lambda counter box with either stripped or binding gears. I know there is a How-To somewhere about removing and taking apart the counter box to clean and regrease it.

If you find that the service counter box is the issue you can attempt to fix it....Otherwise you can remove it alltogether and replace the two speedo cables with a single long one. The only function of the lambda box is to trip on the dash light once it reaches 30000 miles.

The 'retighten the connection' theory could also potentially be valid if the connection at the lambda counter is stripped out. It shouldn't have to be super tight, but if there is a crack in one of the components causing the cable to slip that could also be the cause of your issue.
    Last edited by Mark D; 05-21-2013 at 02:58 PM.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    If the clicking corresponds to a dip in the speedo then it has to be related to either the cable or the lambda service counter. My educated guess is that you've probably got some issue with the lambda counter box with either stripped or binding gears. I know there is a How-To somewhere about removing and taking apart the counter box to clean and regrease it.

If you find that the service counter box is the issue you can attempt to fix it....Otherwise you can remove it alltogether and replace the two speedo cables with a single long one. The only function of the lambda box is to trip on the dash light once it reaches 30000 miles.

The 'retighten the connection' theory could also potentially be valid if the square input for the speedo cable is partially cracked or rounded out in the lambda counter. The cable end fitting may need to be extra tight to prevent the cable shaft from slipping.
    Well put, I definitely agree it is most likely the lambda box.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    I've since been told by another DeLorean owner that this explanation is flawed.
    Yea, its definitely speedometer cable/lambda counter related. I'd be curious to what other explanation you heard which would be better than that? If everything is working correctly though, it is a flawed concept that you should need to tighten them occasionally as they should not loosen in the first place.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

It could be the cable(s) simply need to be "lubed" (I like using the graphite in a tube) -- Somtimes the cable will start to drag (often near a curved area) and "snap" loose. (Fix it before it frays...)

My VIN:    16882.

Hi all, it turns out that the lower speedometer cable had unscrewed itself from the counter. I simply popped it back into place, and the sound is gone! The only interior noise I have now is an occasional rattling of the Fanzilla module. Not bad for a 30 year old auto!